Working Class Poker

• dochazard
      dochazard
      Bronze
      Wow, starting a thread here on Pokerstrategy.com. Didn't quite think I would, but what better place to start my Zero to Hero tracking?

So I hold two full-time jobs and a couple of part-time jobs, all mostly in medical education. Private practice is on hold till I finish my Masters in Psychology. Also training in Traditional Chinese Medicine.

Yes, my plate is full. And poker is just a side dish I get to enjoy now and then. Since summer is coming up and school will let out, I plan to grind online in-between major live tourneys local (CALL OUT TO ALL THE FILIPINO POKERISTAS OUT THERE, YO!).

How do I start my online grind? By burning my last few dollars on Tilt and Party with some really brutal Rush FR and $1 SNG's (PP) beats. Oh well, they didn't call it $.01 to Hero. I actually still have 0.27c on Party, but that can't you into anything.

So now I plan to play the daily Pokerstrategy FR's on these two sites and cash a few of them, just to build up the BR a bit. The time zone differentials suck and the only game that really fits into a reasonable time for me here in SE Asia is the 1200 GMT Freeroll on Tilt. The 1800 GMT on Party is doable but that's early morning here and will be kinda sucky for me on some days. The 2200 GMT Party Freeroll? 6 AM is kinda early to be waking up during summer break, but a broke man's got to do what a broke man's got to do.

Oh yeah, any tips from the helpful/intelligent/experienced people out there on how these freerolls are will be appreciated.

In the meantime, thanks for reading and I wish you all the best in your own poker improvement!
  • 6 replies
    • dochazard
      dochazard
      Bronze
      So I've only had time to play one of the PStrategy FR's on Tilt. I was actually registered in the Party FR's but I didn't seem to have enough brain cells that night considering I was also writing a paper at the same time.

Nevertheless, I managed to score a few cents. Not bad for a first try! A win is a win, micro or not. Hopefully, this week will be kinder to me, schedule and time-wise, and card-wise!

I'm thinking of applying for some live training with a local group, but I'm a bit daunted by their weekly hands played requirement. If I'm playing on Stars, what are the fishiest times of the day? And how many hours will it take to play a thousand hands?
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      A full-ring, cash game table usually has about 60-65 hands per hour. For ease of maths, you should assume 1 minute per hand. So:

1-table: 16 hours, 40 minutes
      2-table: 8 hours, 20 minutes
      3-table: 5 hours, 36 minutes
      4-table: 4 hours, 10 minutes

You should also read this:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/mtt/1558/1/

and the other MTT basic articles.

Of course, it'd be easier if you deposited 40-60 bucks and played NL2, but not everybody can or wants to do that. But yeah, with freerolls, my advice is to play aggressively at the beginning with any decent hand. People will not respect your raises, and will play with really bad hands, and it's free, so if you lose to an all-in, you didn't lose any money.

Be willing to stack off with top-pair, and hopefully a better player than I can give you some good ranges for raising / 3-betting in freerolls.

People are gonna lose left and right, but once you get to the top of the field, it becomes more like a low buy-in MTT, where people make a lot of mistakes, but won't 3-bet with J8o or something.
    • Classified181
      Classified181
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dochazard

Oh yeah, any tips from the helpful/intelligent/experienced people out there on how these freerolls are will be appreciated.
      These freerolls can really become a bingo shovefest. Ive played a few from time to time and suggest you try and pick up whos playing bingo and whos playing tournament poker at your table asap, as it will change your 3 bet and shoving ranges dramatically. Then find the right spot to get all your chips in good against one of these many bingo players and pray to the poker gods your hand holds up and you double up!! Good Luck, you'll need a fair bit of it!
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      Hi fellow Pinoy!

Good luck dude! Check out my blog also,

My Journey through the MTTs

Chow!
      YinYangS
    • dochazard
      dochazard
      Bronze
      Hey thanks for the replies guys!

Salivanth, thanks for those general ballpark figures on the thousand hands question! Never had anyone really give me some rough numbers, and being a number geek (and geek in general), I have a firmer grasp of the task ahead!

YinYang, bro, I have dropped by your thread. :) Thanks for stopping by as well! More power to us! We trying to be the Manny's of the online poker world, eh!? :)

Class181, hope you don't mind the contraction.:) Thanks for the tip.

Aside from mincashing that one free roll, My lates win was actually off-table! Finally finished all my school requirements for this semester. Whew! More time for poker, online and live! But it was a good grind for me in school, especially for the past week. Missed all my online and live satellite chances to score a seat to the Asian Poker Tour this week, but I feel good cuz I beat mediocrity and turned in a good paper. :) We take ALL the wins here!
    • dochazard
      dochazard
      Bronze
      Yep, remembering that I do have a blog in here, I'm reviving writing in it. Lately, been more active in posting in the threads of others and it just feels shameful that I don't keep my own blop up to date.

Well I don't really get to play a lot of poker, but lately I've played in a local live multi-day tourney and I've replenished my Stars BR some with some funds that someone was disposing cuz he was quitting (for now...).

Trying to stick to proper BR and a TAG ABC playstyle since I'm playing microstakes, I seem to be doing a bit ok with my stabs at NL2. Played 7 $0.50-45 mans (turbos). Need to rethink my tactics there as I end up push-folding way too early for my comfort with stacks that're hardly scary. I did end up shipping the last one for this set, so I'm up a few BI's.

Rake sucks at this level. The 90-mans are only slightly better but I don't have THAT much time (refer to blog title :f_cry: ). But some poker is better than none.

Still have $75 worth of TAF funds in Neteller, still deciding whether to deposit on Party, PKR (both tracked here) or on a Merge skin (untracked). Would really be nice to learn from some Silver stuff here. ;)