Another family man attempting to grind

• FSOPFounder
      FSOPFounder
      Bronze
      Where to start? I have played poker for about 3 years now, nothing serious, just pick up a live game here and there. Found Poker Strategy and decided to give it a go...after all, if they were actually going to give me $50, why not????

I was one of the many that registered during the "Dark Ages" of Full Tilt's transferring mess (Mar 3 and 4). Finally recieved the deposit on the 14th of March and was chomping at the bit to get started. As I am married and have 4 kids, re-depositing isn't a big option :-)

$1 MTT SnG's at Full Tilt. I had success but noticed that everytime that I made it to the final table, it was a flip race, as everyone had short stacks and no poker could really be played. If you were entering a hand, you were shoving. Was able to only lose about $5 or so after a couple of days, with a very small volume (maybe 5 tourneys/day).

Moved to $2 STT SnG's (9 players). Started noticing the same thing. Everybody was playing super Tight...especially when it got down to the last 4. Nobody wanted to be the bubble. Was able to gain roughly $20 playing those for 3 - 4 days as well (still not big volume, same 5 tourneys/day).

Decided to take a stab at the $5 STT SnG's (9 players), yesterday, March 23. Played in 3 tourneys...and was able to finish 3rd, 2nd, and 1st, for total profit of $28.50 (winnings - buy ins). Just squeezed another tourney in during my lunch break....finished 2nd, for another profit of $8. So taking that tiny sample size, I am running a ROI of 166% (just at the $5 tourneys).

March 14 Full Tilt bankroll = $50.00
      March 24 Full Tilt bankroll = $105.04

I know I am not suppose to play $5 SnG's with a small BR, but I do not like playing at the super micro stakes due to the fact that most folks playing them are not playing poker, but just making really bad calls and hoping to suck out. $5 tournies offer a better poker experience imo.

I know this isn't a big surprised and probably will not WOW anyone, but just wanted to share.

Thanks for reading, and good luck at the tables.

-FSOP Founder
  • 126 replies
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FSOPFounder

I know I am not suppose to play $5 SnG's with a small BR, but I do not like playing at the super micro stakes due to the fact that most folks playing them are not playing poker, but just making really bad calls and hoping to suck out. $5 tournies offer a better poker experience imo.

Could you explain why is that a bad thing? :f_confused: More money for you.

Don't play 5$ STT with 100$ BR...you'll go busto almost 100%, I saw graphs with downswings of 100 and more buyins...so, yust play according to BRM.
    • FSOPFounder
      FSOPFounder
      Bronze
      Yes, it would mean more money for me, as you stated, but the suck outs are sickening, as several folks have written about on these forums.

Also to my point, I don't like to get in flip races. To me that isn't fun or challenging. I mean why sit at a table and just use Nash or some other push/fold chart. A bot can play like. This is another reason why I stay far away from the Turbos and Super-Turbos. I like the regular speed that allows for you to pick your spots better.

I will admit, you are not suppose to play SnG's with only a 20BI bank roll. But I look at it like this...

-I don't multi-table.....so 100% of my attention is on all of the players seated around me

-I don't rely on my poker winnigs to sustain any aspect of my life....I have a very good job.

-Worst case scenario.....I lose 10 tourney's in a row, am back down to $50 BR, and have to go back to playing the $1 and $2 SnG's.
    • PokerPirate1
      PokerPirate1
      Bronze
      You will get sucked out on the higher stakes too and trust me, its better to get to be used to it for cheap :)
      And the old "I will move to higher limits, they will respect my raises" is definitely no way to think about poker. You will miss the chips from the fish dearly. :s_cool:
    • FSOPFounder
      FSOPFounder
      Bronze
      Thank you for the advice. After thinking about it more, and having already known the anwser, I shouldn't play the $5's. I'll go back to the $1 and $2's and just be happy that I finished ITM at the $5's for the 4 tourneys that I played. Variance will come back to bite me...and you guys are right. The bite will be a lot better to take at lower stakes.

Thanks for the helpful advice :-)
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      As I am married and have 4 kids, re-depositing isn't a big option :-)
      Aha! Someone even worse off than me! 4 kids! What were you thinking? Would you like one of mine?
    • Percypugrug
      Percypugrug
      Bronze
      I never play with less than 5% of my bankroll with SNG`s, and this has served me well. Had to move down levels just once. Have lost 2 bankrolls before by not doing this :( .
    • FSOPFounder
      FSOPFounder
      Bronze
      Mr. jbpatzer, LOL, yes I am little worse than you, except my oldest is only 10 (girl) the rest are boys 8, 3, and 1 1/2. So the real "fun" has yet to begin...although my daughter thinks that she is 20 every now and then.

As for taking one of yours, I think I will pass, unless we can work a trade for one of mine in return...You can have the 1 1/2 year old...get him through the diapers and the constant screaming....
    • FSOPFounder
      FSOPFounder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Percypugrug
      I never play with less than 5% of my bankroll with SNG`s, and this has served me well. Had to move down levels just once. Have lost 2 bankrolls before by not doing this :( .
      so since my BR is over $100, does that mean that I can buy in to one more $5 tourney? :D
    • adynecro
      adynecro
      Basic
      if you want to play poker more for fun , and to improve as a poker player , and hate the flips , why don't you play cash 100BB deep? SNG's are all about the volume and pushbot
    • Percypugrug
      Percypugrug
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Percypugrug
      so since my BR is over $100, does that mean that I can buy in to one more $5 tourney? :D
      Sure, as long as you move straight back down to the $2 games when you lose. :s_biggrin:
    • FSOPFounder
      FSOPFounder
      Bronze
      I managed to steal away some time after the kiddos went to bead and was able to play a little last night. I played 4, $5, STT SnG's, finishing in the money 2 (1 - 1st, 1 - 3rd). Played some $1, MTT, didn't money in any of them :( .

I also decided to take a stroll over to the Rush, Cash Games. 0.5/.10. After around 500 hands, I was break even. I honestly can't see doing that again. It was insane! Well I can see grinding there in order to increase my rakeback, but considering I haven't made a real money deposit yet, I am not receiving it.

Started the day with about $104....at the end of the session, I am now at $101.

My $5, STT SnG record:
      ITM = 6 out of 8
      1st = 2
      2nd = 2
      3rd = 2

Oh, I and almost forgot, I have been upgraded here at PS to silver! Yay! New videos.
    • FSOPFounder
      FSOPFounder
      Bronze
      I need to find more time to play more :-( Would love to see if I am an actual winning player, but at the rate that I can play, it will take 2 years to get to the pre-requisite 100 SnG's to see if I'm a winning player.

Was only able to play 4 times yesterday...Regular $5, 9-player SnG...2 1st, 1 2nd, and 1 4th.

Really need to find more time to play :-(
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      I need to find more time to play more :-( Would love to see if I am an actual winning player, but at the rate that I can play, it will take 200 years to get to the pre-requisite 10000 SnG's to see if I'm a winning player.
      FYP
    • FSOPFounder
      FSOPFounder
      Bronze
      I knew my fellow "father of a lot" would comment.

And you are probably right with the correction :-)
    • FSOPFounder
      FSOPFounder
      Bronze
      Gave into the "Take2" promotion on Full Tilt. Why not make $25 free dollars for sitting at 2 tables for one hour or so?

So I decided to sit at the NL10 (.05/.10) tables. Played for about an hour, while watching the Full Tilt Odometer to know when I eclipsed the needed 5 points to qualify the day for the Take2. After one hour, I got up from both tables with a profit of $10. So I earned 50% on my investment of $20, in just one hour. It is the first time that I sat at 2 Ring Tables...Usually play the STT, $5, SnG.

The only way I was able to do this so early in the evening, was that Mrs Founder is under the weather and I sent her to bed before the monkeys went. So at 8:15 I opened the tables and grinded.

Fun night...Interesting plays by some folks. Glad they were at my table! :-) I look forward to what tomorrow's session will be. Will be difficult fitting it in as I have the monthly FSOP Tourney tomorrow night, here at the house...We'll have to see where I can fit in an hour at the Full Tilt tables.

Til next time!
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      i wanted to have 4 kids but after 1 pregnancy im kinda wavering on this :D
    • FSOPFounder
      FSOPFounder
      Bronze
      Well the 4 pregnancy weren't too bad on me :-)

But after the first delivery, I made sure Mrs. Founder cut the fingernails at least 1 week before the delivery. I had indentions in my hand from your fingernails on the first one....learned my lesson.
    • FSOPFounder
      FSOPFounder
      Bronze
      Missed yesterday, due to the aforementioned FSOP tourney here at the house. After spending the day out with the family, turned the Masters on and opened 2 NL10 tables. After one hour again, profit = $10. I am pretty beat from the weekends activities, so I decided to close the tables with the 50% profit again.

2 days down out of the 9 required for the $25. Enjoying this Take2 promotion.
    • arisko
      arisko
      Bronze
      Hello, this looks like the start of another great blog sparked by a midlife crisis ("what midlife crisis?", you might be thinking)

Always nice to read about someone having a successful start with the 50$ capital, but I hate to be the one to try to ground you by saying that if you want to play NL10 with 10-15BI you will have to be ready to take a -40$ session. If you are ready for this, then please continue, but if you think this would demoralise you and driv you nuts, move down to NL5 until you're ready for bigger swings or at least have around 20-25BI.

I'm not saying you have to do this or that, just giving you my 2 big blinds on the matter. And I'm only saying this because I don't want to see you stop blogging after 1 week :s_biggrin:

Good luck!