forcing yourself to play

• belayd
      belayd
      Global
      I see myself as a grinder who's on the way up, and part of being a grinder is getting off your butt and playing even when you don't feel like it. But what do the experts say about that? I know pros have to put in the required number of hands in order to keep their career going, so they have to play even when they don't want to. What about for us 2NL duffers who aren't making significant money yet? Would playing when I don't want to, impair my play, and, if so, what can I do about it?
  • 7 replies
    • Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
      4 table rush.
    • colossusone
      colossusone
      Bronze
      I think its important to play a good amount to maintain a certain level of knowledge however you also need to find the right balance. You cant play too much or you will get burnt out. I would compare it to a real job, you never work 7 days a week.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      I'm a micro-stakes player, and I tend to not play unless I want to, unless I haven't played for 2-3 days, in which case I force myself to get started. Generally I get into the swing of things and enjoy it anyway. Plus, as you play cash, you can pretty quickly realise it just isn't happening today.

Part of a pro's commitment is mental strength: The ability to play at their best even when they don't want to. If you don't have that (And most beginners don't, including myself) why play if you really don't want to?
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by Salivanth
      I'm a micro-stakes player, and I tend to not play unless I want to, unless I haven't played for 2-3 days, in which case I force myself to get started. Generally I get into the swing of things and enjoy it anyway. Plus, as you play cash, you can pretty quickly realise it just isn't happening today.

Part of a pro's commitment is mental strength: The ability to play at their best even when they don't want to. If you don't have that (And most beginners don't, including myself) why play if you really don't want to?
      Are you saying that mental strength is developed with experience? It would be wonderful if that were the case.

I found a decent solution: when I don't play but need to put in poker time, I do things such as hand analysis and article reading.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by colossusone
      I think its important to play a good amount to maintain a certain level of knowledge however you also need to find the right balance. You cant play too much or you will get burnt out. I would compare it to a real job, you never work 7 days a week.
      Actually, at my old job, I _did_ work seven days a week at least a little bit. I worked at home for several hours, off-and-on, on Christmas day. And I kept it up for eight and a half years. Some jobs are conducive to putting in more time than others. It depends on whether you can get rest periods in between bursts of work.
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      I'm a micro-tourneys player and playing poker have been a source of income already.

I play 7 to 8 hours a day on weekdays and then I rest on weekends.

I believe part of becoming a successful player is managing your time and also giving yourself some times to refresh your mind. When playing, you have to focus on making the right decision as much as possible.

How do I motivate myself?

I post something on my computer wherein I could continually read it while playing. It serves as a reminder for me also.

These are some things that I post on my computer.

Let's play wild and have fun! But don't forget to pause and take a deep breath ok? ^_^

I will make the right decision always. I will maintain the right mindset always.

Relax, have fun, and play in harmony with your mind.

Good luck on the tables! :f_biggrin:
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Silver
      Imo it depends on your motivation you have to play poker. If you were playing for fun it´s not necessary to force yourself into the game.

If you want to make some additional income it becomes more important, but I think studying is more important than playing, especially in the beginning.

If you´d make living out of poker, then it´s obviously important to have a certain level of commitment to the game :)

Originally posted by belayd

I found a decent solution: when I don't play but need to put in poker time, I do things such as hand analysis and article reading.
      +1