[NL2-NL10] K9s Freeplay

• Watto77
      A very basic one I am sure but I just wanted to have it explained as far as pot odds are concerned.

My stack was $4.55 and the 75c bet from the button gave me pot odds of 2 to 1 (75c into $1.50 pot with 9 outs)

With this decision I have 2 questions.

1. Does the odds of hitting the flush on the flop (5 to 1) or the river (2 to 1) determine what I do? And;

2. If i decide not to fold, my action is push all in, correct or no.

Poker Stars
      No Limit Holdem Ring game
      Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
      6 players

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 9 K
      3 folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: 6 6 3 ($0.75, 3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, Button bets $0.75, SB folds, Hero folds.
      Uncalled bets: $0.75 returned to Button.

Final pot: $0.75

Am i approaching hands like this correctly or is there something I am missing?
  • 4 replies
    • russo79
      Disclaimer: I'm a beginner and not really sure of what I'm writing here.

Here's what it looks like to me from what I read in the PS articles:

1. The odds on the turn determine what you do.
      If you want to use the odds on the river, you should use the implied odds, meaning that you should guess how much more money will the Vilain put in the pot. You should then act accordingly. Not an easy thing to do.
      On the other side, if you decide to push, then you should probably use the odds on the river, since there will be no more betting rounds.

2. According to SSS, you should not play that hand (Free play / draw on the flop).
      If you decide to play, then I think you should push.
      His pot odds will then be of 5.8 : 3.35 --> 1.7 : 1
      That is not easilly called.

You have the second best draw. But be aware that the pre-flop and the flop checks are a sign of weakness, and if the vilain felt it, you will probably be called.
      He may have touched trips on the flop (he may have 67s 56s 68...) altough this doesn't seems to be a good play, since we usually raise pre-flop when first to talk with this kind of hands.
      He can also have a pocket 3s and have decided to call "just to see if it will touch his set".

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see that you were playing SH.
      I think you should have raised pre-flop with that hand. You have a marginal hand and don't want to see the flop with it. You would be out of position on the flop.
      If your pre-flop raise was paid, then I think you should make a continuation bet (1/2 to 2/3 of the pot).
    • xylere
      odds for completing your FD on turn are 4.2:1 (not 5:1) = 38:9. Odds affect your decisions, of course. But in 6-max it very depends on your opponent, I guess. Against very agressive opponent you can go for re-raise, since there is chance that even your K outs are good.

Immplied odds are very important and considered to be the heart of every decision in no limit holdem. There is an article in the silver section of PS, so you will be able to study it when you reach the status.

About the hand as played:

- quit the table when there are less then 7 players

push will look quite weird here. I would call or re-raise based on what I know about my opponent (agression level). Of course, against very tight-passive opponents you should fold, but in general this hand is playable, given the board.
    • Utahmar
      If you call 0.75, than you will have 3.8 to put in on the turn, that is enough for a call.

If we think that your 3 K is also good, ( its very possible ), than going allin on the flop is also okay.

There is only one really bad spot, if BU has also a flush draw with A high. Still call, or even a reraise is the best here.

I would say he's holding 77 - 99 if passive, or a bluff or the flush draw or even A3 if agressive.
    • Watto77
      Thanks Xylere,

Someone snuck out without me seeing otherwise I would never play less than 7 runners.

I could be ready to attempt Silver articles any day now but I just want to get as much in as I can before I step up.

Cheers everyone