Kafkárna: The Jackdaws and The Bureaucrats

• maroscz
      maroscz
      Bronze
      Kafkárna - Bureaucratic world as described in books of Franz Kafka. One in which single person stands no chance against a machinery, which creates rules only to have enough work enforcing them and controlling its strict following.

Kavka (english Jackdaw, latin corvus monedula) - Bird from family of crows. Until the poker boom of last years only reknowned term in czech region for a weak card player or a gambler. The Fish. :f_frown:

• 10 replies
    • maroscz
      maroscz
      Bronze
      34 years old looser, who lives in apartment with his mother at Ústí nad Labem, Northern Bohemia (that's Czech Republic). Each time I make decision my income is stable enough to move out disaster strikes and I am lucky enough to fall back in this social trap. How did it happen this time?

I worked as a 7.5t truck driver making one haul deliveries between targets in Czech republic and Germany, mostly factory to factory. On one cold november morning I got stopped by a police patrol known for its "I stop one, I fine one" policy. Frist the policeman tried to tease me telling me my brakes ain't working right, he could tell that by a rust on a brake discs. Although "I don't brake too much" was first answer on my mind i came with more suitable quickly: "This car goes on regular service every three months." He realized that this wouldn't be the way to get to his usual reward and decided to control my drivers card from digital tacho instead. Took it to their car and called me after a while with oh so surprising question: "How much money u get ready for fines?" "What do you wanna fine me for?" I asked and policeman started browsing through the list of crimes against humanity on the screen of the laptop. "Here u haven't made your night break" points to a line where it's clear that the car stayed on a place for 15 hours but the tacho device wasn't switched to break mode. "Here u haven't made your day break", his computer showed 44 minute break where i've been shown 45 on tacho. "And here u drove for 4h32m without a brake", 4h30 is a time i'm allowed to. "You can't mean that seriously" was my answer. He started to jump like little devil yelling " Of course I mean that seriously, I would have smile on my face in other case. I'll show u how seriously I mean that, I'll send u to an ADMINISTRATIVE HEARING!!!" Confident i have done nothing really wrong i have added my coments to protocol signed it and continued on my way.

After a few weeks i received a letter containing accusation in three points, twice that 45/44 minutes and once the tacho not switched to break mode thing, fining me 2000 Kč (€80) "Piece of Cake for an appeal" i smiled to myself and gave all the documents to my boss who proclaimed that he's gonna take matters in his hands actively.

So he had arranged a meeting with a CUSTOM OFFICE LAWYER (Holly Handgrenade, he was supposed to go to D.A.S., legal protection company).. As custom office itself provides controls in road transport and thus stands on the same side of the barricade as police does his advice was not to make an appeal as he sees my acts as a violation of the law and with the lowest possible fine there seems to be a little chance of reversing the verdict WTF! :f_eek: So my boss haven't send the appeal and informed me about that when the appeal period was over. "Damn 80 euros lost" i sighed and considered this one a thing of the past.

Another two weeks have passed and i found a message in mail i have a letter from municipality at the post office. I had a strange feeling of MONKEY BUSINESS and rushed to the post office. " Notification of reaching 12 penalty points in drivers classification and appeal on handover of driver Id in result of losing the driving license" stood in the letter. WEIRD, got myself a drivers classification printout imediately to discover i've acquired all 12 points on a single date. Thing 99% of czech population is unaware of being possible. When introducing the penalty point system we've been told that u can only obtain amount of points equal to the most severe infringement u have commited according to points qualification in a single act. Official Interpretation: 3 days, 3 acts. There's another law saying u can only obtained penalty for the most severe infringement, when there are more acts treated by a single administrative hearing. Official interpretation: recording of penalty points is not a penalty but an administrative act. KAFKÁRNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what you can do in a company which consists of 2 trucks, one of them driven by an owner itself? Get a dismissal letter and head to the LABOR OFFICE. First time wife of the boss printed out one that told they're reducing the staff by mistake. I was told i can get no unemployment payment with this one as it has to be handled by the company. Got myself a chance to bring second one though. Brought a letter of dismissal by mutual agrrement the second time, to be told i can only get 45% of my wage as a relief (counted from minimal wage in my case) instead of 65%. They allowed me to bring a letter of dismissal for reasons of losing ability to carry the assigned work the third time and calculated my relief money. My official income stands at 4628,- Kč a month now (about €185).

With the documents from labor office i had to go to health insurance company to report the changes. Women at the desk told me i have my status not changed since last registration at the labor office, which frightened me a bit, cause it may mean i owe them money, but she realized breefly that everything is OK. So i was filling the form when my phone started ringing. There was a woman from labor office on the other end telling me:"You are really unlucky man, entering the data i've realized we have payed u more money by mistake last time you were registered with us and we have to deduct it from your first payment." KAFKÁRNA!!! This time the word really left my lips inducing a smile from both ladies ;-)

P.S.: Made a video of the swiss band Hildegard Lernt Fliegen two days ago which would make a great introduction to what the threadsavers here will look like. Unforunately made an agreement with the band not to publish it on the web. Fortunately there's an official video for the song on Youtube :s_biggrin:

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      Interesting read... I will be following.
    • maroscz
      maroscz
      Bronze
      It was back in 2006 when i watched EPT episodes on Eurosport and discovered i can play the interesting game of No Limit Hold'em for free, with a chance of winning some money actually. Great, played some freerolls on Sportingbet and started to register to numerous sites. I can hardly find a site now, I can register to with some benefit ;-) It didn't take too long and i had build some playable rolls at BoSPoker and Absolute Poker. Was closeto $100 on BoS when they shut down :s_o: Well it cost me nothing but time, so go on. Then my only BRM failure came on AP busting $40 in 3 days. Started to play $5 MTTs thinking i can freeroll to another money easily. Well it took more than a year wheni received $5 on then starting site Wingows Poker. There were like 30 ppl playing $1 MTTs i did hit the first one and started to build a roll. I've learned to take notes here as i encountered the same people every evening. Got up to $100 hundred again when my account was somewhat lost in a strange merge with Walker Poker. (Well reviewing it now i've lost a track of time consequence here, remembering i've played on wingows once when i was already playing on PokerStars)

So in the spring of 2008 i've decided there would hardly be a safer site to put MY money on then PokerStars and made a deposit of 1000 Kč ($58 at the time) and started playing $1 MTTs and 45max (the ones i really had practice in from Wingows) From there on I'm nursing the bankroll of no more than $1000 at the highest and withdrawing from time to time to buy Xmass presents or some poker software or to pay the bills when i run bad in real life, which unfortunately is a case right now. To say the truth my volume is ridiculous cause i've never really broken the one table barrier. I've played around 1400 OPR tracked tourneys plus some regional ones. Had some good runs usally at summer, was crushing the 90max in 2009 hitting a FT virtually everyday with 2-3 tourneys a day for about a month ($8.80 90max Deep Stack is my favorite tourney format) Then i had an interesting run exactly year ago when i came 3rd in mixed holdem (of 97), 2nd in mixed PLH/PLO (78) won 8game(45) and $8.80 90max DS to spike it with a win at $4.40 PLO for $435 which is still my biggest win (Well there's a monkey on my back). Played one $215 WCOOP event in 2009 (qualified through $27 Extreme Satellite during the summer hotrun, btw my notebook was stolen 2days prior to the event ;( ) Took part in 5th anniversary SM 3 weeks ago (Yeah, it was already a knowledge from PS.com that allowed me to Step in easy :s_grin: ) Cashed three times in 2010 SCOOP.

I would like to point out the $16.5+R PLO event

http://www.pokerman.cz/hands/9290/
      http://www.pokerman.cz/hands/9292/
      http://www.pokerman.cz/hands/9293/

See breakribs at the table in the first hand, he really sucked :f_biggrin: , going crazy with his 9 high flushes, sucker end straights and inferior fullhouses. I call him my PLO biatch from there on :s_biggrin:

And then one february morning a message in express news section of a czech informational poker portal struck my eye. "Vojta Růžička signs a profesional contract with Pokerstartegy.com"

P.S.: This is a video friend of mine recorded during the "Art of Tolerance" workshop in 2002 featuring music of his former band Jazz-Tau-Race

• Cornie4ever
      Cornie4ever
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      very interesting read, mate. nice example of how poker can help to finance RL if well treated. GL in your poker path ;)

the police and administration in Czech Republic is soo ridiculous, that´s really Kafkárna indeed

nice video btw watched full 5minutes :f_cool:
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      interesting read sir! ill be following =)

hope you will run better in real life soon. good luck!
    • maroscz
      maroscz
      Bronze
      Registerd here on February 23rd I've passed the SNG quiz and chose William Hill for my starting capital if choosing is the right word ;) As i have written above there aren't that much pokersites I haven't spoiled my chances of having a decent welcome bonus during my freeroll madness. I was very lucky indeed with quite generous 5 points per 1$ rake and PS promotions on WH i was able to participate in weeks to come. BTW survival strategy was something absolutely new to me. Suddenly all the comments from SnG players i've read in the past started to make sense (thought they're total nits :D ) and i've found big knowledge and also a strong believe in strategy articles here. They're just awesome.

My starting capital arrived the very next day and i was ready to write a new page of my poker career. Played a single $0.24 the first day and $100 PS Freeroll. Started playing 50c+10c and managed to add second table next day. As i had odd $50 at MB account i've decided to deposit them and take advantage of first deposit bonus as well as PS $10k depositors freeroll. After a week i already played $1+20 on four tables. It was my birthday and i was just on my way to a party, reloading the PS website for the last time to see there will be a Rake Chase on WH starting in 10 days. Made a quick calculation and realized it is achievable to play 250 $2+40 SnGs in a week.

So i had to generate $50 rake first to lift the bankroll protection. It was a good training I got used to a tempo but was able to call it a day when the things didn't go well. With the time i had i've decided not to add another tables and got ready for 50 hours of poker. Decided to play 3 sessions a day with minimum of 16 tourneys per session, they were 3 to 3,5 hours long. Everything went according to a plan and it was only last session on friday i've decided to postpone to saturday morning (with usually playing 17 or 18 tourneys a session i had only 12 left). Then i went to drink my mind out ;) .

So with a BR of $270 i've decided to take a shot at $5.50s with 10% fee being my biggest motivation. As there was no chance i can generate $200 rake needed in second week of the chase i took much easier approach this time. And it went well. On tuesday evening after just three sessions i was another $80 up.

Suddenly I've hit the DOOMSWITCH

Not really worried when the tuseday night session didn't went well. It was much worse the next moring. Not only cards weren't falling my way but when they did so was the internet connection. It was so humiliating to see QQ folded with a Q9949 board and two guys reraising each other with A4 and K4. 88 folded when i was 4bb short in last 5 and so on. When someone sucks on me I take it calm, have them for a moment I'll take them back later. But this tilted me redhot :s_evil: I've unregistered from other tourneys and spewed the last two with something like A5 (10bb CO). Had another losing session on thursday. But volume beats variance so i decided to have a grind weekend, back to 3 sessions a day. Well it only took one to hit a stoploss. Things didn't went well from the start and i suddenly felt strange tensions in the muscles each time i went all in. OK right time to consider moving down a limit. Let's finnish this sesion on $5s though. OMG did i just get rivered on 3 tables in 10 seconds? :s_mad: OK, last set. AK<Jh9h on Kh8h5x3x board, AA<88, KTsb<A5bb and AK<KK :s_cry:

BR on WH down to $155. I don't want to pay those 20% fees agian. Decided to play some $3.40 on PokerStars in addition to 90max i play there usually and then reload my WH account. I really feel i can beat the $5s on iPoker and i can get decent VIP status and rakeback on WH. BTW i can two table MTTs now, still OPR everyone, watch TV and browse forums =) .

P.S.: Found an interesting job vacancy today and also a real treasure. Video of german singer Cristin Claas. I've considered it lost when my notebook was stolen and my mother's one got broken in quick succession. Turned out it was one of the last things I have made another backup of. Still some videos missing (Roy Ayers, Zóna A with really good actualized version of "Ludia v pohybe", ...), but this one was the most precious of them, light, sound, content, everything went right.

It's taken wit Canon Ixus 90, compact camera btw.
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      just got struck by the name of the blog, browsed through, seems rly an interesting story.

Wish u all the best in turning ur life upside down with poker! But srsly, how on earth can u live w ur mother still in 34? :O Do sth abt it! ;)
    • maroscz
      maroscz
      Bronze
      Believe me I'm trying hard :)
    • Vildcz
      Vildcz
      Bronze
      Hey mate, interesting intro. It looks like you're not the only having problems with foreign police. My friend works as a truck driver, he often drives around Europe and he told me, that the worst situation is prolly in Russia. He had to regularly bribe the police in order to get across the borders. Once he refused to pay and he had to wait 3 days, they searched his truck upside down and when they found something like a jar with food, they took it and asked: "Drugs inside"? And they threw the content of the jar on the ground "to search if there are some drugs". That was the last time he didn't pay them.

Anyway good luck at the tables, I will follow :)
    • maroscz
      maroscz
      Bronze
      So i was pretty much stuck in reverse for another 10 days after my last post. Playing 2 sessions a day, mostly 1 SnG and 1 90max/MTT. I put in an impressive number of 3 profitable SnG sessions, single 90 max mincash, and single MTT cash. Played some MTTs on wednesday and managed to win a single showdown :evil:

Thursday i went shopping and in the evening went for a drink. Got involved in a fight and have dealt a blow for the second time since the end of communist era :s_evil: If this wasn't a sign of changing fortune what else should be ;)

So i found no better way to test it than playing $1.88 Hyper Turbo SCOOP qualifiers. 6 max they pay 2 $5.50 tickets. Went quite good. In fact i was really surprised how big an edge you can have in these quickies, watching one ICM failure following another :s_cool:

Watched lessthanthree's coaching saturday morning, played some more HTs along with some other qualifiers. 140fpp 6max awarding 2 $5.50 tickets were interesting ones. With standard 1500 chips and 10 minute levels you are at the bubble by the end of 1st level. 80bb deep u have quite some time before the other two redcard each other :f_grin: Then decided it's time to ship some bigie and entered $2.20 turbo MTT and finished 22nd out of 6k. So close, so far away ;)

Woke up early yesterday played some HTs and gave a SINGLE try at steping into Sunday Million :f_cool: (Steps start at $7.50 at PS). Busted in the first step, in fact the only way you can bust these. Raised AA form utg+1, got called by both blinds and faced an instapush on 984 rainbow board. Q8, 8 on the turn. Got crippled and busted on some other weedycooless hand. Went to a local bar friendly limpament in the evening and turned €8+2 into €120 which almost trippled my spare change :D

So, with the relief money covering my bills this month i have some founds to go buy myself some liquid antidepressives once, twice a week and visit some gigs like this one.

Broken Glass Extet, Prague based multinational band. Brazilian singer, CZE, US, RUS, AZE musicians.