[NL2-NL10] [NL2] AK contibet gets called, hit K on river...

• Tomaloc
      Known players:

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:heart: , K:spade:
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls $0,02, Hero raises to $0,06, 4 folds, SB calls $0,05, BB folds, UTG2 calls $0,04.

Flop: ($0,20) J:club: , T:diamond: , 3:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, UTG2 checks, Hero bets $0,15, SB calls $0,15, UTG2 folds.

Turn: ($0,50) K:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0,25, SB calls $0,25.

River: ($1,00) 7:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $1,00

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of kings (Ah Ks)
      SB shows (Ac 9c)

Hero wins with a pair of kings (Ah Ks)

So... I get AK from MP1 and raise 3BB (was a quite loose table, and from MP1 I didn't want to go much higher with it...), miss the (slightly dangerous?) flop, contibet and get called.
      From the vp$ip I figured that he has a big range, maybe he played Q9s and just got an OESD...
      However I hit on the turn... but he checks, and I'm afraid that he may have hit the straight and may want to check raise me, so I make not too big a bet.
      By him calling I guessed that there was no straight, however the river brings a 7... he checks, and the straight checkraise ghost gets me again (89? maybe plausible), so I reply by just checking.

In hindsight though, I really feel that I played it incorrectly.
      So, my questions are:
      - Was the preflop raise size okay, or should I have gone higher?
      - Should I have bet higher on the turn?
      - Should I have bet on the river?
      - Does my opponent's profile fit the typical calling station, and would that mean that I probably had him beat? In hindsight now I really doubt that he even thought about checkraising... (didn't really think about that at the time...)
      - If I didn't hit the turn I was going to fold. Would that be the "right thing"?

[edit: +content]
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello Tomaloc,

Preflop: Raise size is too small, ~$0,10 should it be.
      Turn: I'd even bet it bigger here ~$0,40. But yes, if you didn't hit here then likely just Check behind and even give it up.
      River: I might bet like 1/2 pot here to get called by some weaker pairs.

Best regards.