This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] [NL2] AK contibet gets called, hit K on river...

• Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $1,7
      UTG2:
      $2,14
      Hero:
      $1,98

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:heart: , K:spade:
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls $0,02, Hero raises to $0,06, 4 folds, SB calls $0,05, BB folds, UTG2 calls $0,04.

Flop: ($0,20) J:club: , T:diamond: , 3:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, UTG2 checks, Hero bets $0,15, SB calls $0,15, UTG2 folds.

Turn: ($0,50) K:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0,25, SB calls $0,25.

River: ($1,00) 7:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $1,00

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of kings (Ah Ks)
      SB shows (Ac 9c)

Hero wins with a pair of kings (Ah Ks)

So... I get AK from MP1 and raise 3BB (was a quite loose table, and from MP1 I didn't want to go much higher with it...), miss the (slightly dangerous?) flop, contibet and get called.
      From the vp$ip I figured that he has a big range, maybe he played Q9s and just got an OESD...
      However I hit on the turn... but he checks, and I'm afraid that he may have hit the straight and may want to check raise me, so I make not too big a bet.
      By him calling I guessed that there was no straight, however the river brings a 7... he checks, and the straight checkraise ghost gets me again (89? maybe plausible), so I reply by just checking.

In hindsight though, I really feel that I played it incorrectly.
      So, my questions are:
      - Was the preflop raise size okay, or should I have gone higher?
      - Should I have bet higher on the turn?
      - Should I have bet on the river?
      - Does my opponent's profile fit the typical calling station, and would that mean that I probably had him beat? In hindsight now I really doubt that he even thought about checkraising... (didn't really think about that at the time...)
      - If I didn't hit the turn I was going to fold. Would that be the "right thing"?

[edit: +content]
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Tomaloc,

Preflop: Raise size is too small, ~$0,10 should it be.
      Turn: I'd even bet it bigger here ~$0,40. But yes, if you didn't hit here then likely just Check behind and even give it up.
      River: I might bet like 1/2 pot here to get called by some weaker pairs.

Best regards.