raising/reraising SH

• swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I've been playing SH NL50 for a while (mostly live, but I started playing a lot online lately as well) and I'm wondering what hands to re-raise with in position/ OOP? And also what to do with small pairs etc...Any help would be much appreciated
      (Please correct the following)

Re-raising hands in position:
      AA, KK, QQ
      JJ, TT <- what if there's 2 raises/if the initial raiser 4-bets? or a raise and 1 or more calls before you?
      99?
      AKs, AKo <- what to do if there's 2 raises?
      AQs? AQo? AJs? <- also if there's a call after the initial raise?

re-raise out of position:
      AA, KK, QQ
      JJ, TT? what to do if there's a 4-bet or if there's 2 raises before you?
      AKs, AKo : re-raise 1 raiser, but not more?
      AQs, AQo?

and with what pocket pairs, if any, would do do the following?

- call a raise in position
      - call a raise OOP?
      - raise if there's a limp before?
  • 7 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Raising/re-raising depends a lot where is the original raiser. If BU open raises I would defend my blind by re-raising 99+, AJ+. Against 4-bet I would fold anything else than QQ+. You just can´t call 4-bet, because pot is so big, shove or fold is two options.

Don´t like to play oop. And I can´t call JJ, TT only for set value. I would bet/fold these hands mostly (unless I´m from BU and blinds 3-bet). Don´t also like to play AK oop, probably bet/fold that hand also.

Re-raising from late positition. If I have AJ, AQ, AK, TT+ I like to 3-bet against open raise from MP or LP. This way I get initiative and there is chance that he would fold. Against 4-bet I like to fold QQ+, since again push or fold is only options.

If there has been raise and call I would re-raise AK, QQ+. 22-JJ would be probably call; AQ, AJ fold.

PP 22-TT probably call oop/ip.
      And if there has been one limper:P , my ranging hand from CO and BU is huge. (If I´m on gambling mode: then 56+, 8T+, 22+,A8+, KT+, QT+). Against 2 limpers I slow down.

NL 25 I haven´t met a lot 3-betting. So I have to very cauchious against 3-bets and fold a lot. A lot I´ve see calling ip/oop, calling or betting flop and then re-evaluating on the turn. Flop game is a lot important on NL 25 SH than pre-flop.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      wow, thanks a lot for your help!
      by the way, what are your stats for SH NL? I have something like 16%vpip and 10% pfr by following (more or less) the ORC... seems much too tight/passive,but then again it's a small sample size (7.5k hands) and I rarely raised limpers...
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Wanted to add PT image, but first I have to upload it, but right now I don´t have time. have to study for exams. Problem with my NL 25 stats is that half my stats I´ve played SSS, 1/4th BSS fullring and 1/4 BSS SH.
      But ATS is quite high 29
      also I fold a lot in blinds 90%
      Total AF 3,31
      VPIP 11

Aggression isn´t always good. Today I managed to lost 25$ because I couldn´t lay down overpair and I couldn´t lay down overpair, because I got floated and raised a lot:) , so I was probably a little tilted.
      For my excuse: that was re-raised pot and I couldn´t believe that someone might coldcall 3-bet with 82s:) (flop J82). Nevertheless wrong push at wrong time.
      I think that raising like KJ against one limper isn´t that aggressive and you could do that a little often.
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      Re-raising hands in position:
      JJ, TT: always reraise, after a raise and a reraise it's mostly fold. But this happens only rarely and is off course read dependant. If the original raiser is loose and the reraiser is a thinking player who knows this (and might reraise with AJ), I might call for set value if the odds are given to me. After a 4-bet from the original raiser it's a clear fold.

AKs, AKo:In position I'd call after 2 raisers, unless they're both very loose. But once again, this happens only rarely.
      AQs? AQo? AJs? If there's a call after the original raiser, I usually squeeze unless the original raiser is very tight.

Out of position:

JJ, TT? After a raise and a reraise, it's usually a fold. I usually don't 4-bet with QQ either, unless I have reads that one or 2 players are very loose.
      AKs, AKo,AQs,AQo : Reraise 1 raiser (regardless of callers), fold after a raise and reraise.

and with what pocket pairs, if any, would do do the following?

- call a raise in position. Almost always unless the raiser is a rock, because then you can't setmine profitably.
      - call a raise OOP? on NL50, just about all of them. On higher limits, it depends.
      - raise if there's a limp before? Just about any pocket
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      great, thanks a lot for your help :)
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      About pockets on NL50 , you never fold them if the 15x rule applies regardless of position.
      Everything else that you ask depends on a lot of factors. Stats or careful observation of your opponents is needed there. For example a rock limps UTG and i have a sort of decent holding , i probably wont raise him there. If a fish limps , i will raise. But if he only has like 25-30 BB stack i wont because then my contibet commits me to an all in which nevertheless i cant call if i dont hit, etc.

Your stats seem a bit too nitty to me , especially your PFR. Maybe it works fine but you should try to play more hands so that you are less readable. (Maybe not so important atm because i dont think many nl50 players use programs or pay much attention to each player's game). You can attempt stealing with more hands , or raise more hands with good postflop potential like suited connectors , 1- gappers and stuff. But if you dont feel at ease you should probably stick to the chart until you have played a good amount of hands.

Dont follow always the same patterns because each situation is different.
      About your preflop questions you should base your decisions on your notes on each player involved in the hand, on positions , on stacks , your own table image etc. If your opponents are unknown at the time of the hand , it is always better to play more conservatively.
    • Eclipt
      Eclipt
      Bronze
      These are my general rules:

I always reraise with JJ+, AK,

If I`m in position to the raiser I tend to call with wide range (A2s+, ATo+, KTs+, KQo, suited connetcors, suited 1-gappers, pocket pairs), and see the flop so I can exploit my position advantage and get a little more money from opponent.

If I`m out of position (usualy at blinds), I reraise with ATs+ and AJo+ and try to take the pot here and now. I call only with pocket pairs for set value. I fold suited connectors as playing draws out of position it too difficult for me :P

Also if I know my opponent raises pocket pairs and suited connectors (He must be able to fold them!) I tend to reraise him to make him fold, so I don`t have to guess what he does have postflop.

If noone raised, I isolate from CO and BU with veeery wide range (ATo+, A2s+, any 2 face cards, suited connectors, suited gappers, pocket pairs)

So far it works well (playing at NL25).