Developing multitabling skills

• acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Hi guys, I would like to ask you, who already multitable few tables (6+) how did you develop such a skill ?

I am able playing 4 tables atm, but I find myself making some costly mistakes if I do so. In comparison to that, when I switch to 2 tables, I can even spot bluffs, make great folds and so on, which I wouldn´t be able to do if I was playing 4 tables.

I play cash, NL10 Fullring on FTP. Happily it´s not boring for me playing only 2 tables at once, cause I have time to analyse my hands right after they´ve been played which is great.

However I´d obviously like to develop some multitabling skills so I am able to play at least 6 tables so I can put in some more volume. (I don´t have PT or HUD yet, so I guess this could help with this also - seeing stats, not having to watch every action on every table.)
  • 20 replies
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      The trick is. you play 5 times as many tables as you want to learn to play. Want to 6 table? open up 30 tables and go for it. After a while when you try to 6 table it's really easy.

Want to learn to 24 table? Then you better buy some new screens. :)
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      The trick is. you play 5 times as many tables as you want to learn to play. Want to 6 table? open up 30 tables and go for it. After a while when you try to 6 table it's really easy.

Want to learn to 24 table? Then you better buy some new screens. :)
      Haha, seems interesting, but I´d rather try it on some NL2 than on my current limit, cause I know I´d be making some terrible mistakes :D
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      I find 4-tabling easy, but that's just me. What I suggest for you is to open up four NL5 tables and focus on solid play. Once you get used to the pace of it, start moving up to NL10 again. When I started playing 4 SNG's at once, I had to focus on basic strategy, but then learnt to think fast enough to have time to read people, calculate odds, all the good stuff.
    • ro1chwvd
      ro1chwvd
      Bronze
      Or, you could do it gradually: just open one more table: 3 tabling for a while, then when you are comfortable, add another one, and so on.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      That can also work pretty well. Potentially better than my suggestion.
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Thank you all for your advices :)
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ro1chwvd
      Or, you could do it gradually: just open one more table: 3 tabling for a while, then when you are comfortable, add another one, and so on.

Was just trolling you. this is what you should obviously do. just keep adding 1 table at a time. :D
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ro1chwvd
      This ;) GL
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz

Was just trolling you. this is what you should obviously do. just keep adding 1 table at a time. :D
      However I guess your first advice ain´t wothless either ! :D
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      It should be noted that playing more than 4 tables requires a good display. My 20" TV set with 1024x768 resolution just won't cut it for more than four tiled tables, and I don't want to invest in a larger, more expensive monitor right now. I also want to become a winning player at 4-tabling before I try to increase the number of tables.

One thing that has helped me learn 4-tabling is turning off the HUD while playing. Once in a while I'm frustrated because I wish I had stats on a particular opponent, but most of the time I'm able to make reads better with the HUD turned off.

Playing many tables also requires a low panic threshold. When you're on the button in four tables and get AA, AK, KK and QQ in them, they all require your attention at the same time, and you have to know your time limits on the tables inside out. Until this has happened about 10 times and you've handled it well, increasing the number of tables might not be recommended.

Just some thoughts from a relative beginner. If anyone else disagrees, I'm all ears.
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Originally posted by belayd
      It should be noted that playing more than 4 tables requires a good display. My 20" TV set with 1024x768 resolution just won't cut it for more than four tiled tables, and I don't want to invest in a larger, more expensive monitor right now. I also want to become a winning player at 4-tabling before I try to increase the number of tables.

One thing that has helped me learn 4-tabling is turning off the HUD while playing. Once in a while I'm frustrated because I wish I had stats on a particular opponent, but most of the time I'm able to make reads better with the HUD turned off.

Playing many tables also requires a low panic threshold. When you're on the button in four tables and get AA, AK, KK and QQ in them, they all require your attention at the same time, and you have to know your time limits on the tables inside out. Until this has happened about 10 times and you've handled it well, increasing the number of tables might not be recommended.

Just some thoughts from a relative beginner. If anyone else disagrees, I'm all ears.
      I agree with you. I tried 6-tabling once and I was like: "Ye, this is fine." But then, suddenly I couldn´t manage the situation when I happened to have 4 playable hands at the same time :)
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      i play 20 tables in a standard monitor. :f_biggrin:

I just stack the tables and just click a button at a time as the table pops up for action. and when i have a playable hand, i just drag it away so that i could focus on it a bit then just bring it back to stacking and then let the clicking continue. :f_biggrin:

well, i play micro tourneys and i don't pay attention much to the tendencies of the player. except only when i noticed that the player is good then i take a note of him and mark him green.

i don't have any HUD yet as you guys have but i'm kinda like a machine when i play, clicking a button in atleast every 3 seconds. :f_cool:

it requires immense concentration though. ^_^
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      Play Starcraft I/II at a high level and 20+ tables will feel veeeery slow :D
    • KillerFishes
      KillerFishes
      Bronze
      If you want some tips about multitabling you can find them on my blog :) it's not these tips as "add one table when you feel confident" ...

I'm trying to help all people become great multitablers with my experiences :)
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Originally posted by KillerFishes
      If you want some tips about multitabling you can find them on my blog :) it's not these tips as "add one table when you feel confident" ...

I'm trying to help all people become great multitablers with my experiences :)
      Seems really interesting, I´ll follow for sure ;)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey acceleration123,

Why not try playing rush? You will get used to having to constantly make decisions quicker without having to make too many at once. Once you feel comfortable just open another table and gradually you will be able to play 4 at once (equivalent of around 16-20 tables I think?)

Who knows you may love rush so much you dont go back to normal tables, of course the extra rakeback is great too!
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Hey acceleration123,

Why not try playing rush? You will get used to having to constantly make decisions quicker without having to make too many at once. Once you feel comfortable just open another table and gradually you will be able to play 4 at once (equivalent of around 16-20 tables I think?)

Who knows you may love rush so much you dont go back to normal tables, of course the extra rakeback is great too!
      That seems like a great idea, thank you, I will give rush a try ! :)

Btw. what extra rakeback do I get on rush tables ? :f_eek:
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      starcraft
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by acceleration123
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Hey acceleration123,

That seems like a great idea, thank you, I will give rush a try ! :)

Btw. what extra rakeback do I get on rush tables ? :f_eek:
      No worries!

You don't get any extra rakeback. However....

Rakeback on Full Tilt is contributed, this means that you need to contribute to the pot to get portion of the rake. For example if you are UTG and fold you don't get a % of the rake created by the table. Playing Rush if you fold UTG you INSTANTLY get a new hand at a new table. More hands = more rake :)