[NL2-NL10] NL2- AA- missed value on the river?

• Dback357
      Dback357
      Bronze
      Hello,

this is my first hand posted in the BSS hand evaluation subforum. I cleared my normal starting capital using SSS and my second, bonus capital playing SnGs so I'm not completely new to poker, but since I never played BSS before and in turbo SnGs on Party you are in push or fold after 15-20 hands, I have nearly 0 experience with play on the turn and river. This is the reason why I could use some help in learning the BSS.

In this hand, against an unknown opponent, I think everything is standard till the river. While playing the hand, having adrenaline in my blood and having limited time to think, at first I wanted to bet small on the river because I thought I'm frequently ahead in this spot. Then I thought, he might have a problem calling my bet with worst (like small PPs and of course a flush draw) so I decieded to c/c a reasonable bet. After I replayed the hand for a couple of times, I think, in this spot, it is not likely he has a J or a 2. If he had KK or maybe QQ, he might got aggressive pre-flop or on the flop to see where he is with his hand so I didn't put him on these. Now I think, playing the hand like this, I might miss value against middle PPs.

Is it better to bet on such river when I think I might be ahead or should I try to induce a bluff? If he shoves after my check or lets say half pot size bet, is + EV to call? I don't think he frequently has a J and play like this or have called preflop with something containing a 2, 77 is in his range and could call the flop with it though. What is your opinion?

Thanks for the evaluation and best wishes.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $3.73
      MP3:
      $1.61
      CO:
      $0.77
      BU:
      $3.62
      SB:
      $1.98
      BB:
      $2.15
      UTG2:
      $2.03
      MP1 (Hero):
      $2.63

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A, A.
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 3 folds, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) J, J, 2 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.18, BU calls $0.18, BB folds.

Turn: ($0.61) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.38, BU calls $0.38.

River: ($1.37) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Final Pot: $1.37.

Results follow:

BU shows two pairs, jacks and nines(9c 9s).
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and jacks(As Ah).

Hero wins with two pairs, aces and jacks(As Ah).
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Dback357,

And welcome to NL BSS section! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help move up the limits. Will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

About the hand:
      I would bet it even bigger on turn ~$0,45 and you can easily bet the river as well ~$0,60 or something similar for value if you expect him to be rather passive player and who wont bluff there anyways with missed draws and that's the case very often on those limits.

Best regards.