[NL2-NL10] NL2- AA- too much protection on the flop?

• Dback357

in this hand, I played against an unknown opponent. On the flop I wanted to bet 14 cents but misclicked (16 might be even better). After the raise I thought calling is out of question so I have to decide if I'm willing to go broke with my hand on the flop or on the turn or not. I thought, I'm frequently ahead in this spot so it is OK to go broke. I wanted to raise big, like 0.9-1 $ because I could see him with a lot of hands containing a Q, J, 9, T, 7 or 8 or a combination of these so there was a lot of turn cards I didn't want to see. Then I realised I'd have less than half pot size on the turn if he calls and since I'd be committed, it might be better to shove on the flop for protection when I think I'm ahead. Was this a mistake? Was I too scared of the possible straight draws or draws for 2 pair?

Thanks and best wishes.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP1 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A, A.
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 3 folds, BU calls $0.08, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.19) T, 6, 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, BU raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $1.94, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.49.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello Dback357,

I'd say you can easily just isolate yourself against better hands here, he could easily be having like any kind of sets here which easily beat us or maybe even the straight already. Therefore I might even sometimes just Call and reevaluate it on further streets without information on him. The problem with shipping the flop is that most of the time worse hands will fold there and better ones will continue unless he is somewhat fishy opponent who is capable of going broke with just Tx.

Best regards.