[NL2-NL10] NL 25 SH AJ on re-raised pot

• Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)    
      Position:
      Stack
      MP3:
      $26.60
      Hero:
      $25.36

0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with J:club: , A:club:
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $1.00, CO folds, Hero raises to $3.00, 2 folds, MP3 calls $2.00.

Flop: ($6.35) 6:heart: , J:heart: , 2:spade: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $4, Hero raises to $12.00, MP3 raises to $23.60 (All-In), Hero raises to $22.36 (All-In).

Turn: ($52.31) A:diamond:
      River: ($52.31) 4:diamond:

Final Pot: $52.31

Not sure, how I should play on that flop. Maybe call flop re-evaluate on the turn?
  • 10 replies
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      I think you had to go broke.
      You needed to raise the flop for protection and can't possibly fold to a minreraise there anymore as you only needed 20-25 % equity to make that final call.
    • Cojack123
      Cojack123
      Black
      I think you had to go broke.
      You needed to raise the flop for protection and can't possibly fold to a minreraise there anymore as you only needed 20-25 % equity to make that final call.

This is the standard play and definitely not bad.

But this is not everything you can do

Vs a badplayer i like your line.

Vs a good player i call the flop and fold to a turn bet

You beat only a bluff or a weirdo call mit kj
      may be he has aks but then you have only a coinflip.

By the way: Do you use pokertracker?
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      There's no way you'd fold on thàt turn with top 2 pair to a single bet...
      Anyway, it's NL25SH and if you don't have reads, I don't think it's that bad to assume your unknown opponent without a hud is a bad player. After all, most of them are.
      Therefore, I prefer to play to make the plays with high variance. Too many people trying to make plays will stack you up, so in the long, it's got the higher EV compared to low variance games.

I don't really like your proposed line there anyway Cojack.
      His range that beats you on the flop is 22, 66, JJ. I find deuces unlikely to be raised from MP3 short handed and jacks are unlikely as you already see 2 of them. The double pairs are only possible if he's a réál donk.
      So you just call the flop and fold to an almost certain turn bet (double barreling is real common on NL25) ... that's just throwing it away in my opinion, you might as well fold preflop with AJs if TPTK is only good enough to call and fold.
    • Cojack123
      Cojack123
      Black
      There's no way you'd fold on thàt turn with top 2 pair to a single bet...

I agree but i did not talked about that specific turn.
      If we improve we obv go broke.

His range that beats you on the flop is 22, 66, JJ

You forget AA KK QQ.

(double barreling is real common on NL25)

Double barreling in a 3 bet pot ?
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      AA, KK or QQ would have probably been reraised preflop... perhaps not QQ but you got 5 outs against that hand anyway, about 20 % equity.

Anyway, there's no way you can just call and fold in my opinion. That second shot is almost sure to come at low levels, if he has you beat or not. If you call and wait for that 5 outer to hit against an overpair or perhaps play on with a zero outer, you're wasting money in my opinion.
      You don't even know where you're at...

With a jack top pair top kicker in a reraised pot and a bet in front, you just gotta go I think. You could fold it, but what were you hoping for preflop then ? Calling is the worst option I think, it's WA/WB and if you want to draw to card that improves you despite perhaps drawing, you're wasting it I think. And yes, double barreling is common even in a reraised pot. People don't like to get floated at low levels and often go for it until the end once they start betting.

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's just my experience from PartyPoker, but it seems the judges here sometimes misinterpret or mispredict the average plays made at the micros... no offense, just my thoughts.
    • Cojack123
      Cojack123
      Black
      if you think he will 2 barrel with air,
      why do you want him to stop bluffing and reraise the flop?

If you have the read that he is capable of this play
      than reraise Ai at the turn.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      I'd want to end it right there or force him to possibly make a wrong call with a flush draw or any worse hand, but preferably fold
      If I wait until the turn, I might be dissuaded from doing so with any scare card coming up (, Q or K) and my fold equity is decreased, even if the proportion of my bet to the pot would stay the same (some of them just look at dollar figures, not at proportions)
    • Goedistar
      Goedistar
      Bronze
      first of all i really dont like the reraise preflop, if you dont have a read that villain is really really loose and a bad player, i think calling in positon is much better. Because your so often dominated by AQ AK or maybe slowplayed QQ+.
      Of course AJs is to strong to throw it away, but imo it is better to reraise smaller suited aces than AJ, which has a pretty good playability, especially in positon.

I like the postflop play. Imo these donkbets are almost always a sign of weakness and i dont give them any credit.
      So i think he has a flushdraw or somekind of low pocket pair most of the time.
      Because of that you obv have to raise for protection.

And btw I cant really believe that there is so much 2nd barreling at NL25, as far as i know the games get more aggrassiv the higher you play and i remember nl25 as pretty passiv
    • Thorsten77
      Thorsten77
      Black
      I'd have called the flop and raised the turn. Reraising the flop often pushes out hands like 77-TT, from which we want to get value.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by Cojack123
      [QUOTE]By the way: Do you use pokertracker?[/quote]Yes I use Pokertracker, but the player was unknown. Calling flop, folding turn ui is good suggestion.