is this tv commercial responsible or irresponsible?

• belayd
      belayd
      Global
      There's a local TV commercial for pokerstars.net where Hero gets 56 offsuit and calls a raise from another player. Flop comes J66. Villain goes all in and hero calls. Villain flips up AA and hero flips up his trips. The voiceover is about how players who complain about being "unlucky" are just not playing poker right. But IMO, the guy who won this hand didn't play right preflop, either.

I don't know whether this commercial is irresponsible for promoting one single good result caused by bad play, or whether it's advantageous to good players because it teaches newcomers how to play wrong. What are your thoughts?
  • 7 replies
    • gandacul
      gandacul
      Bronze
      Hello,

I do not thing the commercial was made in order to analyze the specific hands they are playing

In this particular case, I think is the commercial with J. Mercier, were in the end he say in short words something similar to the fact that is not enough only to have good cards you also need to know how to play/use them.

In my opinion this is one of the message sent by the commercial, the rest of them I let you figure it out, but my recommendation is to analyze the message behind :)

GL
    • Biggles87
      Biggles87
      Bronze
      In this case the villain was right to raise but wrong to go all-in.

It would have been a lot funnier in the video if the guy with AA had just raised and the guy with trip 6s had smoothed called only for an Ace to come on the turn. Then it would have been the 56o Hero that was screwed at which point he would presumably think the villain had a pair of Aces or even 2 pair with AJ.

That would have been a far better commercial from a poker point of view, but the people these poker commercials are for wouldn't get that, obviously not selling poker to those who already get poker. So much easier just to show some guy hitting with a terrible hand and pretend he has great "skillz"
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      and then on the river another 6, that would be even better from a poker point of view
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by Biggles87
      That would have been a far better commercial from a poker point of view, but the people these poker commercials are for wouldn't get that, obviously not selling poker to those who already get poker. So much easier just to show some guy hitting with a terrible hand and pretend he has great "skillz"
      Which is exactly the issue I was raising. I'm not an idiot, so I already understood the things people have been telling me in this thread. Nearly every casual viewer will interpret this commercial as telling him that dumb luck is the only thing that's important in poker. Sure, that draws fish into the pool, but drawing fish through similar kinds of deception is what got Full Tilt in potentially mortal trouble with the U.S. government.
    • B0YNAMEDSUE
      B0YNAMEDSUE
      Basic
      I don't know if the commercial is irresponsible or not, but it's dumb. No amount of practice will make you better at flopping trips when your opponent has a big pair.
    • Suijj
      Suijj
      Bronze
      Could someone post a link to that commercial, would appreciate it.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      I think it would be better if the commercial showed someone calling a UTG raise from the blinds with J4o, then calling pot sized bets on flop and turn with a 4 for bottom pair and river a J for two pair. The whole commercial could end with some cliche statement like "it's not the cards you're dealt, it's how you play them."
      THIS type of commercial would be good for poker!