I'm taking a temporary break from poker

• debelinko
      debelinko
      Bronze
      Hi!

I've never had my own 'User news' thread, so i'll start now. It's never too late, as they say. :D

I'v started online poker for real money approximately one year ago. I deposited 50$ on Stars, but knew very little about strategy and stuff then, just what i learned in practice playing with my friends. However i managed to turn that into about 500 couple of months later with a pretty conservative BRM, because that's how i do things - conservative.

A little later a friend of mine gave me 38$ on Pacific, I managed to turn that into 400 in two weeks (still can't believe how soft the games were @ pacific), and cashed out that.

About that time i learned about PS, got my 50$ on party, quickly turned it into 200, than left it there, so my additional 100 bonus expired.

As i was playing a lot back then (spring 2007) that really affected my study (i study surveying - geodesy btw), which i tottaly neglected, but we'll get back to that. :)

At that time PS had the offer at titan for 600 deposit bonus, so i played some more at stars (good old nl25 :) ), until i got my roll up to 800.
      I deposited 400 at titan, cashed out the rest and started playing seriously with that, starting at nl20, and eventually moving up to nl50, mostly thanks to the 600 bonus, because i just couldn't make any prospect.
      That was during the summer - i played a lot - got platinum at PS and qualified for the coutry top 10 freeroll couple of times.
      There came my biggest tournament succes - i maneged to place 2nd, and cashed for 1000 (you can probably still find an interview with me somewhere on PS :D ).

As i have cleared the bonus by then, i decided to take my roll to full tilt, i deposited 1000, and cashed out the rest (about a grand also).
      My stay at full tilt was very swingy, but i managed to get my roll over two grand (bonus & rb :heart:) , took some shots at nl 100 but failed.
      Full tilt happened last fall.

Since i also cleared bonus at full tilt, i was looking elsewhere for more bonuses. Friend offered me 38% rakeback deal at ongame network, so i took.
      I mowed my entire roll of about 2k and started to play nl 50 there. I played 5 handed, so it was very swingy. I managed to get over 2500, played some nl100, got up to 2800, then disaster struck. I started to lose in all ways possible, moved down, downswing continued and finnaly came to a halt when
  • 14 replies
    • debelinko
      debelinko
      Bronze
      ... i hit 1600. Then i really tried to get my composure back, play more nl 50, ran br up to 2300 again, tried some nl 100 again, failed and finished at 2000.
      That's where i stand now.

This is my graph from june/ july when i started at titan and untill this day.

As you can see, i'm a not "very" winning player, i'm a breakeven bonus whore with big swongs. :D

So, we get back to my study. After i droped out 8 months ago, i was really under pressure to play poker, because that was my sole income of money. As you can imagine it was hard to perform 100% of my game all the time, simply becasue there was too much pressure - i had to win - that's why i hadn't made it BIG imo.

This really leads to something... :D

So now i decided (and also made a promise to my family) that i will get back to school and finish my diploma (still a long way to go btw), play poker in the meantime without any pressure, just as a hobby.
      However, this will require me to cash out everything (well almost - gonna leave 100 at party :) ) in order to finance my studies for the remainder of this study year. I will try to rebuild my bankroll from that 100 in the spare time (i won't be playin a lot, in fact almost won't play at all), probably with SSS, and prove everyone that SSS wins. :D

Why have i wrote this, probably the longest post on PS forums ever, you my ask? I don't know, i guess i just wanted to get that burden out and make a fresh start - and aslo to make a promise to you - PS community- that this time i'm gonna take my studies seriously.

I plan to post in this thread now and then - about my poker progress - and also about my study progress, which is going to be my main occupation now.
      This post will also stand as a remiender to myself, so i never forget what i said.
      I think that's all.

For those of you, who had read this entire tl;dr - congratulations and learn from my mistakes, so you don't have to make the same ones.

And thanks for moral support!
      Have a succesfull life everyone, and realize that there is more than poker in it.
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      Don't give up. With patience, studying and perseverance you'll beat NL100 in no time. I've had a sick swing myself (see blog), it's normal. As long as you don't tilt your money away (I did), and have a healthy attitude while you're playing, I'm sure you'll get wherever you want to go :)
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      And about your study, I really hope you succeed as I just found out how hard it is to really study after doing nothing for a long period of time. It's gonna take some dedication but it looks like you have what it takes
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      eh, tl;dr..

jk, nice read and gl with your studies (and poker, which is in brackets because that is secondary for you)
    • Classical
      Classical
      Bronze
      Not too long, did read :)

Good luck with your studies. Seems you made a good choice. Poker will still be there the rest of your life.
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      GL man! With both, studies and poker :) , but ofc, mostly studies since thats more important ^_^
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi debelinko!

Nice read! I whish you all the best for you studies. Btw: I found the interview: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/news/world-of-poker/debelinko-wins-1-000_01053

Good luck (at the tables)!
      Puschkin81
    • debelinko
      debelinko
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
      Thanks Puschkin for the interview search; it's always nice to remember that day :D .
    • Marivs
      Marivs
      Bronze
      You will make it Debelinko, your fellow countrymen here on PS believe in you :D

edit: I just saw that this is a 2 months old thread :P but it doesn't matter :)
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Marivs
      You will make it Debelinko, your fellow countrymen here on PS believe in you :D

edit: I just saw that this is a 2 months old thread :P but it doesn't matter :)
      Glad you bumped it Marivs (even if it was an accident) , It is a good to read post.

Good luck Debelinko, I dropped out of study once because of a computer game (Daggerfall) I would probably have a good degree in Physics by now otherwise. Still the math skills kind of help with the poker, but I wish I had the discipline to stick to my study, and that lack of discipline is bad for life, poker and just about everything. So GOOD GOING, and your studies will help with life and poker. :D
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Just keep playing, but without stress or "must win" attitudes.
      Good luck on you restarting your studies though, it can and probably will be hard and never put poker (or anything maybe) let that get in the way.

For poker, try to view it as an opportunity, nothing more. In the long run, there's some great opportunities if you read up on it, analyze your plays etc, but before you're a winning player at NL400/600+, it's just not worth it to give anything up for it.
      Turning "pro" too soon or at all if you're not comfortable with it, is not a good decision, but just view it as a fun game and a possible source for some extra pockey money so far.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      NL200 is enough for a strong fulltime poker player
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      If you got nothing better to do, sure.
      But don't abandon anything important, like studies or a job too soon over it. Even NL50 could be giving enough profit to live off if played full time imo.
      But it's only an opportunity that's presented to you, I just don't like to see people giving up a whole lot and then when they'd hit a downswing save on their food or whatever :D
      If you wanna become a pro, go ahead, just don't do it too soon.
    • blazerkid57
      blazerkid57
      Global
      Very imformative thread thank you alot! I really apperciate you writing all that! I am in a freshman in college and starting a great poker careeralso. Great advice! gl with your studies!