Am I able to play?

Bronze
      That is the question. [meaning, it's yet another boring user-blog]

I started playing hold'em few months ago, with FL. Lost $30 out of $50. Switched to NL. Gained about $200, but then tilted and lost them all. Translated few articles for pokerstrategy - I'm Polish (i know it's hard to believe a guy like me, who's making toons of mistakes can translate... maybe I'm just weak at writing). Regained few houndred. Lost them. Translated some more. Lost.

Now I have brand new $250. And I want to break out of this sick circle. No more tilt. No more bad play. No more non-sticking to bm.

I can't really say why am I doing this. I read many articles, even translated several of them - I should be able to know the rules, know how to play efficiently. I posted hands, but the commentary I received was exactly what I thought about them before. I joined coachings - with no measurable effects. What else can I do to play +EV?

Worst of all, winter exams time is near. I'm really petrified while thinking about quantum chemistry test. Feels like I haven't learn anything in the past few months.

Am I going to make it?

9.01.2008: 1k hands at NL10 SSS, -$8. Steady play, wariance's just killing me. That's the reason I'm going to stick to hyperconservative bankroll management. If I can make $50 playing SSS at Party's NL10, it'll be time to switch to NL25 SSS.
      Also, I noticed that having as many tables open, as possible (meaning 12) keeps me from strange behaviour that deviates from typical SSS. On NL10 every deviation seems -EV, I'm probably still too loose, because everybody tend to call with everything.
      If my bankroll crosses $300, I'll also try some BSS, which I find far more interesting.

10.01.2008: 1,7k hands at NL10 SSS, +$5. Everything's just fine. The bad news is the day after tomorrow comes microbiology test... Fear the Pseudomonas fluorescens and Bacillus subtilis!

11.01.2008: 2,5k hands at NL10 SSS, +$18. Nah. Too bad. I played some sss, after a while opened one bss table (which is WRONG) and stacked one guy. 10$ is ok, but non sticking to the plan sucks...

12.01.2008: 3,5k hands at NL10 SSS, +$26. The test was rough, but I somehow managed to write it - hope it won't be that rough to see the resaults. I also played some today and gained a little. $0.8 per 100 hands is 8 BB though, so I feel comfortable with it.
      So my first goal is close. Close enough, I already feel the joy of opening NL25 table again... ;)
      By the way, I don't know if you've noticed but today is saturday and I was just having test. Yes, it's true. It's just Poland, there are no student laws.

13.01.2008: 4,5k hands at NL10 SSS, +$41. Nice! This time it's about $1.5 per 100 hand, so 15BB/100. This indeed is an upswing while playing sss, isn't it?
      By the way, I gained 2500 party points (for the second time, I have to admit), so it's redeeming time.
      To sum up, my bankroll now looks like $316. Last session proved that it's time already to go up a level. Maybe tomorrow, maybe the day after.

14.01.2008 (it's only 2am, but i want to brag ;>): 5k hands at NL10 SSS, +$58. Last session: 34BB/100. My bankroll account to exactly $333,33. I'm officialy beating that limit while playing SSS.
      From now on I'm playing NL25. I mean, I play it in my free time which is getting shorter and shorter, cause I'm having organic chemistry colloquium this saturday, quantum chemistry colloquium next saturday and some statistics test in between... Not to mention final exams: bioprocess engineering at 28th, inorganic chemistry at 1st of february, quantum chemistry at 4th, analytical chemistry at 7th, microbiology at 8th... It's worse than i thought ;) .

15.01.2008: 2,5k hands at NL25 SSS, +$49. Last session: 8BB/100.
      It was my first session on NL25, it was also suprisingly long. I gained quite a lot comparing to previous sessions, but I also played a lot more on higher limit, so it is, i think, pretty normal. 8BB/100 feels good no matter what though. I heard once that 1-2BB/100 is fine while playing SSS - probably I'm on constant upswing.
      Let me also publish a graph of previous week in another post.

16.01.2008 BAD! I jumped in to NL50 just after making about $380 and it's soo wrong cause my bankroll management was suposed to be extra tight. Nah. But it happened, I think I just have no mental strength...
      283 hands at NL50 SSS, +$75. Last session: 53BB/100... It feels ok, there were so many donks calling with Q5 and similar stuff that I even didn't go out of the tables after double ups. I know, I know, this is wrong. I'll try not to do it again...
      3,5k hands at NL25 SSS, +$99. Last session: 20BB/100. After playing that crazy NL50 short session I took some break and went to NL25. $50 here today, it's really great.
      I think I may be good at playing SSS at micro stakes. Hmm.
  • 39 replies
    • mishh06
      mishh06
      Bronze
      Hi 098799, that's no good about the tiliting and stuff, but im sure you can come back from it. My first advice would be to put your winter exams ahead of your poker learning, because they are much more important. But other than that, i think you should really try hard to stick to bankroll management and make SURE that you don't go on tilt :) re-read the articles and continue attending the coachings as well as posting sample hands and i'm sure the results will swing your way and your game will improve a lot. Good luck with poker and also with your winter exams!!
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      read the psychology articles. even though they are written in pretty broken english, the analogies are very helpful! ;)
      Bronze
      Bronze
      That's it.

I managed to double up my bankroll in last few days. Now it's time to get up to serious work - I mean, exams. They'll end at 8th of February, then comes one week of regenerating - skiing.

After that - I mean, in the middle of February - I'll get back to poker. Wish me luck.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      You don't need luck for exams :D

I do hope you can get yourself to studying them well though :)
      Bronze
      Played tiny session today.
      Results: (today's 2nd of February)

1,1k hands at NL50 SSS, +$155. Last session: 21BB/100. That's a lot. I think I'm on a constant upswing, hope I won't get crushed really soon...

3.02.2008: 2,5k hands at NL50 SSS, +$96. Last session: -8BB/100. I lost few buy-ins, but that's normal. It's just that yesterday I won most of my conflips and today my oponents got lucky rivers. Am I playing bad or is it just a variance? We'll see in next several days.
      The worse thing is that I don't study, but I'm really fed up with microbiology...

4.02.2008: 3,7k hands at NL50 SSS, +$232. Last session: 23BB/100. Looks like I regained what I lost yesterday and even a bit more. That's ok, but I would be even happier if I knew my winnings came from good and balanced play, not just luck and stupid oponents.
      Few words about the latter: today I found several miraculously loose players. They tended to go all-in with a top pair with no kicker and even middle pair. It happened to me to tripple up on one table with KK and then one of these players came. It's enough to say that I woke up with about 149BB, which is my new record.
      I also tried to post some hands and get them evaluated as xylere suggested, but I have problems with my software. I use FreePHG to record my hands (it's needed to use AHK scripts) and texas grab'em can't convert those - some errors pop up. Did any of you have issues like this?

6.02.2008: 4,6k hands at NL50 SSS, +$301. Last session: 15BB/100. Nice session 'cause I'm a luckbox, next one will probably be worse.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      heh, I guess you will) But follow the BRM and everything will be fine) besides, downswing is a perfect point to start posting hands :)
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think it's a good time to post an update on my poker career. Poker Tracker says:

08.03.2008: 6k hands at NL100 SSS, +$720.

I think it's ok. Bad thing is I didn't really play much last month. At least, I managed to pass all my exams. Winter vacations went well. Life's fine.
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      that's sick $720 in 6 k hands

you must be running like a god
      Bronze
      Well, not really.

I mean, it's 6 Poker Tracker Big Bets per 100 hands - I know it's a lot, but it doesn't feel like some kind of achievement. I tend to play short sessions pretty late - from midnight to 2am, GMT+1 - and it pays off. Probably everybody's so boozed and play like bunch of idiots.

Or it's still an upswing and xylere's prophecy didn't fulfil yet. Nah.

Oh, by the way, I also started playing at PokerRoom, but the software is weak (or I'm too accustomed to party & stars) and I think I'll leave after gaining $100 bonus. Still, I recomend everybody get their Ongame account - just for the 2+2 books.
      Gained $220 there - they're not counted in PT's statistics 'cause I didn't really bother configurating it since I'm leaving that room soon.

My beloved nl100 (@party) graph:

• Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      You're running good lately, keep going (and updating your blog sometimes ;) )
      Bronze
      Hello everybody,

It's been a while, I played about 15,5k hands at NL100 and have winrate at 6BB/100, but it's all thanks to today's luckbox session. It's been really tragic only few days ago.

Last time I posted something here I was eager to try NL200 as NL100 was going nice and lovely. I tried it and found out I was $300 behind in just 1,5k hands! It makes a round number of -10BB/100... And the most worrying part was that I didn't played drastically different than at NL100 where I had nice winrate. Proably it was the worst time for me to try jumping to higher level as xylere's prophecy started to fulfill.

Still, it was a good cold shower for me. I jumped back to NL100 (even played some NL50 to regain confidence) but it was also getting bad. Overall at the lowest point I was $600 down. And in the meantime I started posting hands. Now you can see mainly my cards in hand posting part of our forum ;) . The idea was plain and simple: I need to post as much as possible. Even hands I find obvious can turn out to be overplayed. And so I did, which gave me confidence, which improved my game and which kept me busy for a while ;) . After few days xylere started his promotion - most active user in SSS hand posting forum will get his play reviewed. That's indeed what can boost my game! I modestly think that I'm on the best way to win this promo ;) .

Now I'm back on track, as I said in the first words of my post. Today I got really lucky and found few great guys who donated my bankroll a lot. Result? See below.

I know I'll get punished by variance by next session, but I wanted to brag a bit ;) . Last $50 gain was some guy who beted into my kings after I doubled up. Funny man ;) .

Oh, by the way: I got few poker books from 2+2 promo. It's really great - everybody should try it on the platforms that are not supported by ps.com. And every poker player who thinks seriously about his career should - IMHO - read The Theory of Poker and many more books that are provieded by 2+2.

And I anticipate myself being a normal BSS NL player someday...
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Get yourself No limit holdem: Theory and Practice.
      Must read for the short stack players, at least because of Sklansky-Chubukov numbers.
      Bronze
      Actualy, I have one. Sadly, I didn't read it yet. Will try shortly after The Theory.

By the way - I played much and lost much yesterday evening. Sad.
      Bronze
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      I don`t like your green line :D

Bronze
      I don't like red either but green is just freaking me out ;(

btw: nice one ;) I guess I'm far from being at a serious downswing, am I?
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      you haven't even tasted it) and you are thinking too much about it. No matter how you perform, you can always do better. in terms of preparation, education, concentration and many other things that you can affect and control. So you are wasting your time and energy thinking about something you can't affect, like luck distribution and other crap.
      having clear goal(-s) helps to shift your focus and attention from useless things to important ones, imo :)
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      you haven't even tasted it) and you are thinking too much about it. No matter how you perform, you can always do better. in terms of preparation, education, concentration and many other things that you can affect and control. So you are wasting your time and energy thinking about something you can't affect, like luck distribution and other crap.
      having clear goal(-s) helps to shift your focus and attention from useless things to important ones, imo :)
      Its a shame we can't buy stuff from Sklansky bucks. Great post xylere, and good luck for getting out of that slump 098799 :)