Persuing independency by VBZG and Variancekiller a 180 SNG MTT blog!!

• variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Hello fellow SNG'ers! After some very very very long phone calls with VBZG :s_ugly: and his fellow Croatian friend VirusDK :s_biggrin: , we decided to make a blog together. We have been taken a few coachings from <3 and want to motivate eachother. That is where this blog comes in.

I have absolutely no clue what is going to be in this blog. I do know a couple stuff wich I'm going to put in:

- Graphs
      - Goals
      - Joanna Krupa (thread savers)
      - Some Croatian guy :f_eek: :s_biggrin:
      - random life joys and sorrows

Basic History can't be left out I guess?

History:

Played 2 or 3 years on a regular basis made about 3k profit during that time and than this stupid thing happens wich kind of makes me a gambler sometimes. Had 4k on my account at betfair saw a good tennis match on wich I could earn a good $400. Put in my money and 3 points later the guy I bet on gets a injury and gives up! Good times.
      After that I took a 3 month break and now I am back. Started to play in October to get a bankroll going on PKR. deposit about 300 to get me going. Boosted that up to 1.2k withdraw and wanted to get myself going for SNG 9-man on FTP. My money was not in my account yet so I had to deposit a bit to get me started before my whole role was there. So I started with $60 on January 3 and didn't have to deposit anymore. With the money I got from PKR I decided to buy some stuff that is sololy being used for Poker.

I got:

- 2 HD screens 23,6 inch
      - Desktop (graphics not the absolute best but mainly focused on speed)
      - A gaming mouse
      - A keyboard that has the same smoothness as a laptop
      - Headset for skype and coaching
      - And soon probably a gamepad to make things easier

I will post a picture of it as soon as I am smart enough to take my camera back from my girlfriends house. (So don't expect it any time soon)

Since I don't have my handhistory from last year and back, I'm going to post my graph so far this year:

March goals:

[ :s_cool: ] Get a backer for Pokerstars games! Finished with profit, click here for details
      [ :s_cool: ] 1k sng's! 1035
      [ ] don't play $22 sng's yet!
      [ :s_cool: ] cashout 50% of March winnings at the end of March! done
      [ :s_cool: ] regain Gold status on Pokerstrategy! done
      [ ] Read all Gold articles and watch <3 vs Chenny part 2 video! video's done articles... mehh
      [ :s_cool: ] Reach Iron man Gold status!Iron achieved!
      [ :s_mad: ] DON'T PLAY HU SUPER TURBO! Failed lost $300 and cured!

Best regards,

Sander

VBZG's introduction!

Hello fellow SNG'ers!

I(We) finally have a blog, yuppppiii. Thx variancekiller, it would have probably past a lot more time if you didnt put this here so quickly before i actually decide to do one. So...ill skip some parts which my fellow shark already explained and skip to introducing myself.

History:

Playing for a bit longer than i actually registered here in this awsome comunity of pokerstrategists, so i think like...let me see in my e-mail history...wow a bit more than 2 years passed. Considered myself a lucky nit who hit some big cash in comparison to his starting BR (10$) and after spewing my bonuses on every site i came...i was lucky. But that is a bit of a story which i would try to tell in parts, so you can expect from me and my posts every time i tell some part of my 2 years history and how i get it from 10$, to what i can tell now, 1k/month.
      Anyway i finihed 2 collages (civil construction engineering and safety engeniring, guess i spell that well), try my self in construction like engineer in couple of areas of engineering, after reading some american stuff considering real estates, gone selling real estates, then gone back in civil engineering for one more year, after which i lost job in this/those "recesion times". And than happend inventible, i decided to play poker to support my life existence...and here i am after last 7 months just playing poker, reading, studing and making lots of new friends, mostly in this community, i'm on my way...persuing independency with 2 of my fellow musketeers.

Reason i'm in this blog:
      - motivation (having 2 more guys on same level of thinking which are competetive, or at least i am, so if they are going to do something, then VBZg is going to do the same)
      - motivation (puting goals here in public, and be ashamed if i dont reach my goals, like on theater stage...i can expect fruits and vegetables with eggs if i dont do well)
      - motivation ( there is a "grave" of blogs here, which was started as very promising and interesting reads, but for some reason they ran dry, so i'm going to try and understand why that happened by having one, and see what really happened using my own experiance...so we can try to stay alive for as long as i/we can)
      - motivation (that guy which has such a huge and awesome blog, <3, we are going to bust him soon, since we will be with 3 people we will soon have 3 times his post...lol)
      - motivation

I got:

- actually now i have a computer which VirusDK gave me, but in a couple of days I'm getting such a monster (with which guys helped me to configure, so thx to you <3, variancekiller and others)
      - 10" laptop on which i started my poker story, and believe it or not you can actually multitabling on it...like 4 tables...with stats...that will be a funny story in future posts
      ...pics are coming

These are my hh on pstars.

This is my graph on FTP where I play mainly now!

March goals:
      1k sng's (10$ normals on ftp) - fail
      buy new computer with 2 new 27" monitors...brgh he he he - almost fail
      taking coachings from my coach <3, with my mates - done
      try to hit platinum status on pstrategy.com - fail
      reach iron man iron status - fail (gold)
      study and do my homework every day- fail
      solve my internet connection and room for playing - done
      make a April goals - in process

...oh man o man i have so much to do...im such a fish

p.s. yes im the "not, this shit again" sharkface, i think i chose that because they took all the other nice ones, or at least i would like to think that, the true is...argh...let them tell you why

Best regards

VBZg

Our other Croatian friend: VirusDK

Hello everybody,

My name is VirusDK and I am last (but not least) of the three musketeers … this is how I look like after an all night SNG session:

Growing up in a very conservative and religious country I was brought up believing that any possible card games are evil and therefore needs to be avoided at any cost. Because of that I had little if any contact with any types of cards and card games until two and a half years ago when my ex boss introduced me to NLTH live tournaments. After he explained me the basic rules of the game I went with him for the first time to play my first live tournament and ended up winning it (40€ + 4€ freezout, 65 players).
      The fact that I won a tournament and ended up with a lot of cash just because I had some fun playing (and during the tourney I even managed to muck two full’s because I forgot that they are stronger than flushes) and it was obvious to me that I have no clue how to play this game, made me think. I wondered upon this for some time… how is it possible that a fish like me (back then I didn’t even know what a fish means) could win all those regulars, and what is the difference between wining a tournament, winning few of them and being a winning player??? That question consumed me for a while and because of that question, few months after my glorious triumph, I have decided to find an answer.
      I started to play live tournaments regularly together with my boss and ended up as a break even player. No education and hand evaluation of any kind, just playing experience.
      Eight months after my first tourney with my boss I had a great cooler of my poker life… my boss ended up in jail sentenced to 5 years. He just couldn’t stop playing cash games and ended up loosing all his money and then started robbing petrol stations to make up for the money he borrowed which brought him to where he is now.
      That helped me to put aside emotions and to approach poker with my reason. After a while I renewed my friendship with VBZg (we were school friends) and he showed me that poker is not only about playing the game but about reading books, studying, hand evaluating, ICM-s, ROI-s, bankroll-s, etc … and all of a sudden thing became much clearer when looking at poker.

I played a poker league (live tournaments) beginning of this year (in Croatia) and ended up fifth with a very good result on a final main event.
      I had a chance to observe VBZg’s work on SNG-s and with time was more and more attracted to that type of poker. I found that bad beats are much easier to cope with when you have a volume of tourneys like in SNG-s then when you get beaten on a live one and than have to wait for the next day. Easy possibilities of hand evaluations, and other software that I didn’t have in live games helped me to decide to switch to online SNG poker. I am playing for a month now and still adjusting to SNG type poker. Still do not have big sample of games to show, but will get there…

This is it for my introduction … c u @ the tables VirusDK :) .
  • 198 replies
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
    • worm5
      worm5
      Bronze
      good luck :)
      I'll be checking the blog and how it goes for you
      btw your ROI is impressive. I feel like a fish with my 5% on micro stakes.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      have fun blogging guys :)
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      So how is this going to work?

Like the 3 of you will post back 2 back in this blog?

Well anyways, I need to try and avoid you at the tables :P

GL !
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      We will all post on this blog and keep you updated on our progress!
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Bah April's fool started really bad for me. First I overslept myself, than when I finally was ready to go to work and got in my car, battery was down. I let the lights on. That's not the first time that happened. So now I am waiting for some guy to show up and jump start me. Ahh well work is screwed allready anyway.

Tonight I'm going to post a wrap up from March and put out my goals for April 2011.

regards,
      :s_cool:
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      MARCH WRAP-UP

I will post my exact stats after the weekend since I am on my laptop in the weekend always.

March started insane on the $11 and I had a nice 30 BI upswing in wich my redline joined the green, so that gave me some confedence. During this month I came so close to $2k month wich is great. The bad thing is that when I was on $1971 I hit a 60BI downswing all under $EV managed to keep my losses at about 400 there tho. As for last night I was sick of the $11 games and I wanted to take my first shot. Since it was April (for me) I think I could start and take a shot. I played 4 tables and managed to get 1st 2nd and two 4-6 places. So nice beginning of the month again.

March goals:

[ :s_cool: ] Get a backer for Pokerstars games! Finished with profit, click here for details
      [ :s_cool: ] 1k sng's! 1200+
      [ :s_cool: ] don't play $22 sng's yet! done
      [ :s_cool: ] cashout 50% of March winnings at the end of March! done
      [ :s_cool: ] regain Gold status on Pokerstrategy! done
      [ ] Read all Gold articles and watch <3 vs Chenny part 2 video! video's done articles... mehh
      [ :s_cool: ] Reach Iron man Gold status!Iron achieved!
      [ :s_mad: ] DON'T PLAY HU SUPER TURBO! Failed lost $300 and cured!

April Goals:

[ ] Get a backer for Pokerstars as soon as I lose Gold or start a account on Partypoker!
      [ ] 1k-1.2k SNG's! 52
      [ ] keep Gold status on Pokerstrategy!
      [ ] Watch all remaining Gold videos from <3!
      [ ] review 4 games a week!
      [ ] Hold sweat sessions with my fellow shark!
      [ ] Reach Iron man Iron status! 23 days to go
      [ ] Take 3 coaching especially for push or fold 10bb!
      [ ] Table select between turbo's and Regulars!
      [ ] Don't play Cash Games!
      [ ] Get atleast 5 days with 1000+ base FTPP's!
      [ ] Don't play $33 sng's yet!
      [ ] Play 100 hours at the least! 4.5
      [ ] Cashout 50% of winnings at the end of April!

I do realise these are some amount of goals. But I can better have a bit more than that I forget stuff in it.

Since I will start work again I need to manage my time really well to finish my game goal. This is going to be the biggest challenge next to beating the $22.

Kind regards,

Yvonne/Variancekiller :s_cool:

P.S. Picture will be posted soon!
    • VirusDK
      VirusDK
      Bronze
      Well... since I'm new to this kind of poker it would be crazy to take so many goals as my fellow Dutch shark ... :D ... but here we go:

- reach 90% of accuracy in ICM Trainer, min. 100 hands ,
      - play min. 600 $11 SNG,
      - study all gold SNG articles,
      - use up min. $200 of first deposit bonus in Fulltilt,
      - work on my push/fold 10bb

... if I do that I will be satisfied.

Live long and prosper :s_biggrin:
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      After weekend update?

First of all I brought a camera from my girls house so I will make some pictures tomorrow and post them on the forum.

Last weekend I did so much stuff that I didn't really got to play poker a lot. Friday I played at night but didn't really feel like playing a lot. I played the minimum to achieve 250 points for Iron Man and did oke in it. Saturday I was going to a concert from "Nick & Simon" wich sucks... But I guess having a girlfriend brings some troubles aswell. I got back @ about midnight and had 0 incentive to play. Since I want to get the 15 medals from Iron man every day freeroll aswell I decided I will play 1 $5.15 HU super turbo on days I don't play.

On sunday I always go home and be by myself again. So I could play a bit. Because of the recent downswing my will to play has dropped a little wich means I again didn't feel like playing. Since I didn't want my sunday to be blown away without making atleast one session I decided to play some Turbo 9-man games. I play them sometimes to improve my push and fold game and also when I don't have enough time to play. Finally things seem to turn around a bit since I ran 3 buy-in above $EV.

Let's hope this will keep up for the month. I'm also still waiting on rakeback for FTP (I get it monthly), so I can't display all stats for last month yet. I expect to have the money within 5 workdays so that won't take to long.

regards,
    • VirusDK
      VirusDK
      Bronze
      u people should see my graph ... lol ... like a mountain chain ... up and down and up again... tonight I've tried $11 turbo and it was good, but I don't think I'll be playing that any soon. My ICM was ok since the red line was positive, but others sucked out against me so much ... I'm a guy who likes time to play and decide when to move so if some fish sucks out against me, ah well that's poker ... in turbo's I have to fight time as well, and as I said I think that I am to old for that ... lol ...

$22 and $33 normal SNG tourneys look like a place for me for now ... nice and steady play with a lot of scary money play on the bubble and in the money, but my fellow musketeers are advising me to stay on $11's ... hmm in is a tough one...

Live long and prosper :s_biggrin:
    • VBZg
      VBZg
      Gold
      Result from March

So...first wrap-up. Very satisfied with actually everything, ye, i didnt get where i wanted, but maybe i have some goals which are a bit to much...or im a bit lazy. Anyway in the beginning of March i finished 1k staking deal, which was very satisfying for me because i made nice profit for me and staker, but which was more important for me i got confidence in my game. But dont think everything gone well, actually first hour after i finished deal, i went 25 bi down, which was like...punch into stomach for me and my confidence. But after a coaching session next day, little talk with my mates (thank you worm5) i get my mind back into track. Think that point was the my lowest point but after all the best thing what happened to me because, what doesn't kill you, just makes you stronger. I mean its going to be a lot more and lot worse downswings but its good when we face this variance sometimes. So this is my result for March:

Games played: 1028
      Average buyin: $11
      Time played: 119.3 hours
      ROI% / $EV ADJ ROI%: 19.5% / 15.9%

Goals for April:

- put realistic goals
      - 60-70 games/day
      - make iron man
      - become platinum pokerstrategy member
      - post replies on many hands on sng 5-20$ forum as i could (homework from coach)
      - 100 icm trainings in sngwiz per day
      - posting my hands on forum every day (at least 5 - homework from coach)
      - be active on our blog
      - taking coachings
      - review all caoching sessions till now
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      you guys are absolutely crushing the 10s. time to move up i think.
    • worm5
      worm5
      Bronze
      Impressive graph!
      Well done!
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      As promissed my stats for March:

Time played: 115.4 hours
      Games played: 1176
      avg buy-in: $12.19
      $/hr: $14.32
      ROI: 11.5% / 5% EV adjusted

I'm just glad my current months ROI looks a bit better... Otheriwse I would start to look like a rakeback grinder wich I don't want to be.

kind regards,
    • VBZg
      VBZg
      Gold
      Hi guys

Today I'm going to tell you what happened to me this week and last week. So i had a goal of buying new "machine" (read: computer) for my hard made $, to become even more serious grinder. After my coach helped me with starting configuration and with little more help of my fellow sharks, I decided what i want and where I'm going to buy it from (chose among 25 suppliers).

This is IT:

Win Pro 7
      Thermaltake V3 ED VL80001W2Z
      :s_evil: CPU Core i7 960 soc1366 + SCYTHE Katana 3 SCKTN-3000
      MSI X58A-GD65
      DDR3 6Gb Corsair 1600 MHz CL9
      Sapphire HD5770 1GB DDR5 PCIX
      :s_evil: Corsair SSD 60GB Force Series, 285MB/s Read 275MB/s Write, TRIM (main disk with all software and database)
      WD 500Gb SATA3 AAKX
      SEASONIC 520W,520GB
      DVDRW LG 24x GH22NS black
      ×2 27" LG monitors M2762D

Thursday

So the story begins in last Thursday when i came back home with my machine and saw that those guys actually forget to install ssd hard disk in desktop, and because of guaranty i should not do it by my self.

Friday

Early morning gone to their store after playing whole night. They apologize and install ssd with Win 7 on it. Gone home and take a sleep. After rest, started to install all drivers, with graphic last, win7 just didnt want to start up. So i give up until next day. It was like 03h in morning.

Saturday

I wake up late, 13h and guys from store just close it so they told me to come in Monday!!! Now i was like craaazyyy. So i decided I am going to learn something about instaling win7 and drivers, until Monday, i reinstall all those stuff like 5-7 times, with help from my :s_cool: , but with no result. What should become very nice experience, turn on in a night mare. Did not do anything else beside installing, re-installing and sleeping for couple of hours.

Sunday

Finally concluded i cant do nothing, because graphic driver from spphire for some reason just blocked win7 from starting up every time. Giving up.

Monday

Early morning gone to store, where after a bit "intense" conversation, they did what they suppose to do in Thursday. So finaly i started to install all those softwear, HEM, SNGWiz, TableNinja (ftp) and stuff needed. But still didnt manage to find time for playing because of having problems with HEM database moving to new computer (still didnt do it in a way i wanted but...ok).

Tueasday

At last everything works and is in place so i started with playing. And this is a little history of how my "machine" growed from 10" to ×2 27"

- started with this 10" beast, on believe it or not you can tiled 4 tables, which was overhalming for me in the begining

- after a while, Virus :s_biggrin: , give me this machine (down left), i bought used ATI graphic card, new 24" Viewsonic, used 19" (Virus) and borrow 17" for laptop and this is what it looked like, running 9 tables max with HEM in background (because of old processor)

NEW MACHINE

Conclusion

Happy with new machine, late with my 60-70 gm/day, but going to put some more volume. Thing is that some of the goals are going to be hard to achieve. But we gona see, still have 20+ days.

p.s. changed my shark from :s_mad: to :s_ugly: after this experience
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      wow very nice! let me know how the SSD is. i really want to get one.
    • VBZg
      VBZg
      Gold
      Originally posted by lessthanthreee
      wow very nice! let me know how the SSD is. i really want to get one.
      ssd is working very very nice, can recommend everybody, probably win7 minimum to work fine
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Yeah if you have windows Vista it is not going to work that well. There are some standard programs on vista that are blocking the SSD card. So get Windows 7 first and than get SSD card!
    • worm5
      worm5
      Bronze
      good to hear that you are happy with your new machine
      take good use of it :s_cool: