[NL2-NL10] NL 0.02/0.05 Rush - two hands where villain goes all-in on turn

• skiffcz
      skiffcz
      Bronze
      Ok, Ive just experienced two "similar" hands, where opponent goes all-in on the turn, but I played them differently and I would like to know if my decisions were correct. It is a rush poker and I have like 2 hands on each of the players, so I have omitted their stats (useless anyways)

The first hand:
      0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:heart: , A:diamond:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.25, CO calls $0.25, 2 folds, BB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.77) 7:club: , 5:heart: , 3:spade: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.5, CO calls $0.50, BB folds.

Turn: ($1.77) 7:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.77, CO raises to $3.32 (All-In), Hero calls $1.55.

River: ($8.41) K:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $8.41

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two-pair, aces and sevens (Ah Ad)
      CO shows (Kd 5d)

Hero wins with two-pair, aces and sevens (Ah Ad)

My reasoning:
      PREFLOP: I usually bet 4-5bb because players on blinds tend to defend against steal harder than in standard games. I sticked to 5bb this time to send them strong message that it is really not a good idea this time. CO probably has something when he calls, BB too, but I suspect him to just limp in to see the flop with some connectors, KQ, KT or such.

FLOP: Semi-good flop for me. Someone may have hit trips with all of the cards on flop (33, 55 and 77 are definitely possible for both CO and BB). I c-bet here mainly for pot control, but also value, as trips are dangerous, but not THAT probable). BB folds, but if he had nothing and missed the flop, he would have folded anyways. So Im glad for the heads-up.

TURN: Another 7 - I continue my control/value bet (the size could be a bit lower than whole pot in retrospect - 2/3 would be better?) and CO shovels it in. What does it mean? I dont think he has trips anymore. He would have raised me for value. So he probably expect me to have high pair, that is obvious as I was the original strong open raiser preflop. So he probably has low to mid pair (anything from 22 to JJ, but more likely some overpair, 88 to JJ) and he uses the second 7 as a scarecard which should convince me that he has 777. So I do the exact opposite of what he wants me to do and call.

RIVER: Its out of my hands now, but K isnt that bad. I dont think he has KK, he would have raised me for value on the turn or just called.

The second hand (same game, few hands later):
      0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: , K:club:
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.05, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.25, 3 folds, MP1 calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.57) 9:spade: , 9:diamond: , 7:spade: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.15, MP1 raises to $0.60, Hero calls $0.45.

Turn: ($1.77) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      MP1 raises $4.05 (All-In), Hero folds, MP1 gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Final Pot: $1.77

My reasoning:
      PREFLOP: My standard 4-5bb, as above.

FLOP: Blah, terrible flop. He checks. Now I made a mistake. The c-bet should be either stronger, or none at all (confirmation?). He re-raises. I called. When I first reviewed this hand, I immediately thought - wrong call, I didnt have odds for it. Then I equilated it and to my surprise, against range like 77+, AKo, AQs+ (and even maybe 89s+), it was about 34-38% equity. Since the pot was 0,57+0,15+0,60 and I had to call 0,45 -> 34%, so it was on the edge, but the equity was way higher than I originally expected. I always thought of AK as crap hand when one misses the flop. Nevertheless, I eventually called to see the turn.

EDIT: Ah, nope, the equity is around 25% only. Ive computed it for any AKs, while my hand was AcKc. My Equilator-fu is weak. So yes, bad call this one.

TURN: 7d, well, its over. And he goes all-in. My equity is about 30% at best, I need 70%, my hand sucks, easy fold. BUT, for some reason, I also believed him here to have a strong hand, but cant explain why.

RIVER: Didnt get there.

So, my main questions basically are - in the first example, I believe I played more or less well. In the second example, I made (imho) big mistake by showing weakness on the flop, my opponent noticed it and used that knowledge on the turn. What were his intentions? Was he luring me into all-in? Was that a bluff to make me fold? It really puzzles me if he really hit something strong (which my feelings try to tell me) or he outbluffed me, which my logic tries to tell me.

Lesson learned - never ever show weakness to your opponent, this way you will get no information nor safety. Unless, of course, you have maximum information or safety already.

Anyways, thank you for reading this. Hopefully, the evaluation will help not only me, but also someone else. Also, note that I am a mere fish at this point, so my mental diarrhoea may be miles off the reality :f_cool:
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello skiffcz,

And welcome to the forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help move up the limits. Will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

One thing I wanted to mention out as well is that rather post one hand per thread, it's a lot easier for us to concentrate on just one hand and write better evaluations.

Plus you can turn on such things in Elephant as stats and as well stack sizes. There should be buttons for that, could you do that for next posts. :)

Hand #1
      I would likely bet the turn like $1,50 and definitely going broke there as well, not much to do. He may easily have a lot worse hands there and maybe even sometimes some draws.

Hand #2
      Yes, if you even are betting it on flop then rather do it bigger like $0,35 and fold to the raise. Not much you beat there, often times you might even not count your K or A as very clean outs.

Best regards.
    • skiffcz
      skiffcz
      Bronze
      Thank you!

I hand only 1 or 2 hands on the opponents, thats why I thought that the stats were mostly only taking space, but I will export the whole thing next time (forgot the stacks, I will think about it next time :) )

I posted the two hands together, because they were kinda connected, but this will be an exception to the rule, I promise.

Thanks again for the eval!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by skiffcz
      Thank you!

I hand only 1 or 2 hands on the opponents, thats why I thought that the stats were mostly only taking space, but I will export the whole thing next time (forgot the stacks, I will think about it next time :) )

I posted the two hands together, because they were kinda connected, but this will be an exception to the rule, I promise.

Thanks again for the eval!
      You can just link them next time or either just mention about the hand that it's from previous post the same opponent or something similar.