Bad beat at a live event :/

• dzabs
      dzabs
      Bronze
      Hey all :)

So last night i went to my first live tournament, 20$ buy in 5k starting chips...

Well have been playing really tight since i didn't want to be the first player out, slightly nervous but still I think i did good, took a few small and a huge pot and after that again tight play...
      So after like 4 hours 2 tables left i get dealt QTo on the button, a guy raised to 4k from middle pos. and i went all-in with like 15k (I think i was the short stack) and he called... showdown was his 22 vs my QTo, i don't really remember what the cards on the table were but well I lost he won with his pair of deuces.

Well for most of you I guess this ain't worth posting about, but well I feel like I could have played it better and i would love to hear some word of advice :f_frown:

So at the end I finished 15/100 not bad in my opinion since it was my first live event but still my mood really dropped after gettin' beat by 22 :s_cry:
  • 11 replies
    • jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dzabs
      Hey all :)

So last night i went to my first live tournament, 20$ buy in 5k starting chips...

Well have been playing really tight since i didn't want to be the first player out, slightly nervous but still I think i did good, took a few small and a huge pot and after that again tight play...
      So after like 4 hours 2 tables left i get dealt QTo on the button, a guy raised to 4k from middle pos. and i went all-in with like 15k (I think i was the short stack) and he called... showdown was his 22 vs my QTo, i don't really remember what the cards on the table were but well I lost he won with his pair of deuces.

Well for most of you I guess this ain't worth posting about, but well I feel like I could have played it better and i would love to hear some word of advice :f_frown:

So at the end I finished 15/100 not bad in my opinion since it was my first live event but still my mood really dropped after gettin' beat by 22 :s_cry:
      Not really a bad beat its basically a coin flip 50/50 with your QTo against his 22
    • AGTpunx
      AGTpunx
      Bronze
      Bad beat? You were actually behind.
      I have some advice - expect much worse beats than that
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Live poker rigged.
    • Steelbrewer
      Steelbrewer
      Bronze
      WTF? He was the favorite with a best hand and probably did an allright odds call. Treat it as an AK vs QQ race where you have not hit A nor K.
    • h0m1e
      h0m1e
      Bronze
      bad beat would have been if you have had QQ and he hits a third deuce
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Yeah, and so far nobody mentioned that wasn't a bad beat actually.
    • Andyuk18
      Andyuk18
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      Live poker rigged.
      What he said.
    • dzabs
      dzabs
      Bronze
      This wasn't intended to be a whine post, don't get me wrong, I just wanted to share the story of the first event I went to and maybe get some thoughts about it.
      Gotta say I overvalued the hand way to much, I know i could have done better, but well next time I hopefully do it right :f_p:

The name of the thread could have been "bad play at my first live event" as well, so no need to go aggressive mode bcuz I named it a bad beat, I expect worse to come.

Thanks for the reply's anyway :)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Dzabs,

Unlucky about the bubble. Good effort in your first event though. He is probably priced in with any two cards so 3bet shoving Q10 there might not be the best move as he has to call with any two cards and even alot of his bluffs are beating you. With a short stack I would jsut wait till the pot folded to you and get your chips in first.
    • Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
    • GraveGoods
      GraveGoods
      Bronze
      My first proper live game involved a bad beat. Cash game, £1/£2, £50 on the table.

I was dealt A7o in the BB. 1 guy limped, SB folded.

Flop 787

Limper bets £10, I doubled, he pushed, I pushed.

Turn K

River Q

He turned over cowboys.

I went home.