My poker path

• worm5
      worm5
      Bronze
      Hi everyone! :D

Worm5 here!

I noticed that when people start their blogs, they give a reason/s for doing so and explain themselves as if they did something bad or naughty ?( ... I guess, so that they don't feel repentant for all potential readers who will waste their time reading it.

To be honest, my reasons are rather selfish :( Simply put, I want to get better. ;) In other words, from a worm, which is a nourishment for :s_cool: as well as some :f_cool: at the moment ;( , turn into a :s_cool: myself :D
      I want to work on my game and mindset. I hope that you will somehow contribute to it :s_biggrin:

Not sure what you could get from it yourself... but who knows, maybe one day, if my BR is big enough, I will treat you to some sweats or sth :f_grin: In the meantime, I hope that you will find here sth interesting to read and who knows, maybe even become a regular visitor. Otherwise I'll :s_cry: (btw as you have probably noticed I like smilies on ps.com)

Now, something personal.
      I am a whale and I currently live in the UK. ;] 'I am not an Athenian [nor English], or a Greek, but a citizen of the world' as Socrates once said.
      More seriously...
      I think I have a problem with focusing on one thing. I started doing/learning so many things at once (articles, videos, subscribed to different training sites and forums) that I couldn't cope with the amount of information and I actually felt that I didn't learnt anything.
      I am trying to think of a way to learn the game.
      I need clear objectives, that I can actually achieve ;) , make small steps, be strict with myself and then evaluate how it went.
      I think (and hope) that this blog will put some pressure on me to work harder, help focus on my goals and contribute to my poker and personal development.

At the beginning of my adventure with poker I invested some money in software (Holdem Manager, Table Ninja, SNG Wiz, and other) as well as I have been coached by a successful player, who is now a hand judge and a coach on ps.com. I took only 6 lessons because I was playing $1 STTs (rarely) at that time and spending money on coaching and not playing (=not getting at least some money back) did not seem to be reasonable. I think, it was my mistake.

Some time ago, I was lucky to meet VBZg and his friend with whom I discuss not only poker stuff, but also many non-poker related things. It has helped me a lot. I hope that they have got something from me too. Currently, I play $2 STT Turbos (in sets of 6). I don't play as much as I would like to, probably because I am not confident about my game. Lack of volume, leaks, variance, not playing at the most profitable time probably contributed to the situation I am in at the moment. I am stuck. I am not winning, I am not losing. It is time to do something about it!

I will post my graphs below.

I have a few goals for this week (starting tomorrow):

Every day:

- at least 100 hands in the ICM Trainer
      - post at least one hand on the Hand Evaluation Forum
      - check my friend's posted hands

Additionally:

- have a HH review with my friend/s
      - watch 3 videos of my choice
      - keep fit and healthy by going to the gym -3 times, and swimming pool – 4 times
      - eat healthy
      - finish reading The Poker Mindset

I hope that you will be checking on me from time to time and give me a kick in my sometimes lazy ace if needed ;)
      Fingers crossed please!

Cheers!

• 12 replies
    • VBZg
      VBZg
      Gold
      Congrats on starting blog. You got follower.
    • worm5
      worm5
      Bronze
      Thanks! I hope that you will follow it! and contribute ... of course lol ;)

Have you guys heard about a nice promo that started today on FTP? Worth checking out.

I played 26 games today ROI: 16.9; +$9.90

I posted some hands to evaluate. For those interested:

$2.25 STT Turbo 99 folded to a re-reaise

$2.25 STT Turbo K4 in the BB and total of 4 flush cards on the flop

$2.25 Turbo STT AT in the SB vs. limper

$2.25 STT Turbo lead with 99 on the flop
    • worm5
      worm5
      Bronze
      Ok. Time for an update.

I started playing $6.50 STT. Haven't played many games but so far -1% ROI. Adjusted: 25.5%ROI. I've been unlucky so many times but so far my mindset is good. I don't complain.

I must admit that I was very bad with meeting my goals.
      I didn't work with ICM trainer
      I posted only a few hands and nowhere near posting at least one per day
      I've checked only some of my friend's hands
      I didn't have a HH review with my friend (he disappeared ?( )
      I didn't finish reading The Poker Mindset.

so here are the things I did:

I watched 3 videos by steinek (and started the 4th one)
      I went to the gym 3 times and swam 2 times
      I ate well lol
      went to a party
      went for a day trip to York

Conclusion: Big Fail

Looking at what I've just written... I realised that I will not achieve much putting so little effort. Doing some sport and keeping my mind fresh will not contribute to my play without... playing... simple as that

However, I am optimistic. The videos I watched helped me a lot. I am quite satisfied with my play on $6.50 and I know that results will follow. I just need to work HARDER

I am going to watch 2 videos today and think of a plan of how to do things.

All the best!
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      All the best to you! I'm going to keep up with your blog and see how your battle against sloth (or avolition) is going.
    • VBZg
      VBZg
      Gold
      Hey Worm5

see that your friend disappeared. Sorry mate i just didnt make it, take my apologies, and let me make it up. Skype me, see you. Having the same variance issue this week like you, so we can talk about it beside review. Thx.

See you :f_biggrin:
    • worm5
      worm5
      Bronze
      thanks! :-)
      Belayd do you play STTs as well?
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by worm5
      thanks! :-)
      Belayd do you play STTs as well?
      I've just discovered the single-table SNGs on Full Tilt and am going to be spending quite a bit of time playing those in the foreseeable future. My nick there is noname65. Right now, because of my BR, I'm playing the $1+.20 FR tourneys.
    • worm5
      worm5
      Bronze
      Hi everyone! ... No updates for a long time...
      I've been reading the Poker Mindset.
      I did not play much. Also after recent events not sure on which website to play. I will observe what other players do and decide whether to move or not.
      I am considering one or two euro sites on which I would probably need to play simultaneously. Regs are more visible now and therefore I hesitate to play. Feel free to comment on that and share your thoughts on what you think may happen and what you are planing to do.
      I had my first coaching today. I want to improve and treat poker more seriously. For now I will have a coaching every week.
      I am going away on Thursday so there will be no time to study or play. I will however try to finish The Poker Mindset. I am reading it slowly, coming back to previous chapters. Extremely interesting =) Once I am back, I will work with SNG Wiz and practice my pushes.
      I posted some hands for review so if you are interested here are the links:

Today's hands:

$6.5 AJ in the button preflop call or raise? Postflop play?

$6.50 KQs in the button call or raise limpers?

$6.50 KQs in the button call or raise limpers?

$6.50 TT all in to a reraise

$6.50 55 raised short-stack limper on the bubble

Older hands:

$6.50 88 in the BU call a min raise?

$6.50 J5 free play To bet or not to bet on the turn?

$6.50 TT vs. BB's check/raise on the flop and all in on the turn

$6.50 Push over SB limper with A3

$6.50 Free play with 74 and two pair on the flop

$6.50 AK All in - first hand
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Feel free to comment on that and share your thoughts on what you think may happen and what you are planing to do.
      I've lost enthusiasm for playing on Full Tilt for the time being. Whether I resume play there or not will depend on whether the site is going to survive. That's still very much in the air. On the positive side, my roll on Tilt is only about $52, and Tilt does not charge admin fees for inactive accounts, so I can just leave the money there until there's a clearer indication of which direction things are headed in. On May 20th I shall decide whether to leave the money on Tilt or transfer it to a friend who also has a Tilt account.

Your situation might be different from mine, depending on the size of your roll. My recommendation is, if you have more than $500 in your Tilt account and can cash out through a payment processor, move everything except about 10 buyins out of your Titl account to the payment processor account. That will keep your money reasonably safe while things are still uncertain but still enable you to keep playing. If Tilt gains enough advantage over the U.S. gov't it will likely offer some juicy reload bonuses in order to lure money back. If things go the other way, then your roll won't be caught in the crossfire.
    • worm5
      worm5
      Bronze
      Originally posted by belayd
      Feel free to comment on that and share your thoughts on what you think may happen and what you are planing to do.
      I've lost enthusiasm for playing on Full Tilt for the time being. Whether I resume play there or not will depend on whether the site is going to survive. That's still very much in the air. On the positive side, my roll on Tilt is only about $52, and Tilt does not charge admin fees for inactive accounts, so I can just leave the money there until there's a clearer indication of which direction things are headed in. On May 20th I shall decide whether to leave the money on Tilt or transfer it to a friend who also has a Tilt account.

Your situation might be different from mine, depending on the size of your roll. My recommendation is, if you have more than $500 in your Tilt account and can cash out through a payment processor, move everything except about 10 buyins out of your Titl account to the payment processor account. That will keep your money reasonably safe while things are still uncertain but still enable you to keep playing. If Tilt gains enough advantage over the U.S. gov't it will likely offer some juicy reload bonuses in order to lure money back. If things go the other way, then your roll won't be caught in the crossfire.

Hi!
      Thanks for your post. My worry is that I can see many regs on FTP at the moment, no US players means that many bad players disappeared. However, regs and those who play there for rakeback are still there and start to play against each other which means that games are becoming less profitable. (not that I was profitable in the first place ;) )
      I guess moving to Pokerstars would be OK because of huge field, however there is no rakeback. I don't know what to do. Staying on FTP doesn't seem reasonable to me.
    • worm5
      worm5
      Bronze
      Short update...

I play $11 now. So far so good. However, very small sample.
      Going away next week to Portugal. As a result no playing for 2 weeks. I hope to reach gold status before I leave.
      Once I am back, I'll work on my game and use forums to post my hands.

Quite excited about the new version of Holdem Manager, which will be out soon.
    • VBZg
      VBZg
      Gold
      Hey

Nice to see you playing again. Lets do some review when you come back.

And yes, have a nice trip to Portugal. Post some pictures.

GL and see you.