[NL2-NL10] nl2 pocket 8s

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I am trying to open up a bit, but running into decisions post flop that I'm not prepared for.

MP1 is 29/14/0

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $1.87
      BU:
      $2.43
      SB:
      $2.00
      BB:
      $0.98
      MP1:
      $1.43
      MP2 (Hero):
      $1.97
      MP3:
      $1.30

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8, 8.
      MP1 calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.08, MP3 calls $0.08, 4 folds, MP1 calls $0.06.
      Advanced Open Raising standard chart says open raise w/ 77+. Before I would always have limped and called if no set. I raised here because MP1s limp could be anything. I also hoped to keep everyone else out, and if MP1 is holding two high cards, I am ahead of him. If he holds a higher pair, well I'm hooped.

Flop: ($0.27) 4, 7, 3 (3 players)
      MP1 bets $0.12, Hero ???,

My thoughts:
      he may still have two overcards. If I call, I'm totally at the mercy of the cards.
      If I fold, I'm safe, but is that a leak.
      If I raise, I'm still ahead of his high cards, well ahead of a lower pair, and I have fold equity. Added bonus to raising: I might drive out MP3, or he might four bet us with a made straight (not likely I think)

Also, I have not played either of these two before (that I know of), but at the time of this hand my own stats are 12/8/2 so if they are paying attention, I appear tight. (I usually am)

What is best here?
      Should I even be in this hand?
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello VorpalF2F,

Good to see new names posting their hands! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Preflop: Usually I would add as well 1BB for the limper, therefore $0,10.
      Postflop: Problem with raising is that usually we just turning our hand into bluff since we ain't gonna go broke, although it's doable if you really think that you are gonna do it for value. Therefore either folding actually should be the safest play but while we still have a pretty strong hand and might be even ahead I don't mind to just call it and reevaluate on turn. We can still fold it there pretty easily when he decides to continue. Plus the odds on flop are pretty good.

Best regards.