This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

How are %ranges determined

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      If you enter (for example) 5%
      Equilab selects:
      88+,AJs+,KQs,AKo

The hand selection page tells me that this represents 70 hands out of 1326 for 5.28%

Although this is quite true, 77 has a higher equity against a random hand than both AJs and AQs, so why are they included and 77 is not?

Also, KQs is included, even though it has less equity against a random hand than any of AKo, ATs, AQo, AJo, none of which are included.

For a "true" top 5%, would it not make sense to use:
      77+, AQs+, AKo?
      this is only 68 hands, (5.13%)

Thanks,
      --VS
  • 2 replies
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey,

As far as I know the Equilab uses the same ranking as Pokerstove. This means that the ranking is based on the preflop equity of a hand versus 3 random hands.

This balances the value of high card with the value of drawing cards. However there is no absolute order and depending on a specific situation you may need to make some adjustments.

Best regards
      Hannes
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      As far as I know the Equilab uses the same ranking as Pokerstove

Yes, Pokerstove exhibits the same behaviour.

This means that the ranking is based on the preflop equity of a hand versus 3 random hands.

I was checking using the pre-flop equity against a single random hand.

I will do some tests against 3 random hands just for fun.

--BM