[NL2-NL10] NL25 Rush middle pair

• RandomGenerator
      RandomGenerator
      Bronze
      I have only 11 hands on opponent and right now he plays 11/9. And just 3 hands on SB.

On flop I'm representing a hand like AK, trying to bluff them out since they rarely have a king because they only called preflop. If I get called I can improve on turn, so I think that bet on flop is fine, isn't it?

But I'm still not sure about the turn. The opponent doesn't show any strength. I have to decide whether to give up or not right now. If I check behind then I give hime a free card, which is not very good. But betting seems to me very thin here. So I'm a bit confused about what to do.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.25(BB) Replayer
      SB ($18.35)
      BB ($10)
      UTG ($24.50)
      UTG+1 ($64.53)
      UTG+2 ($24.76)
      MP1 ($16.28)
      Hero ($10.25)
      CO ($36.30)
      BTN ($16.54)

Dealt to Hero A:diamond: T:club:

UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25, fold, fold, Hero raises to $1.50, fold, fold, SB calls $1.40, fold, fold, UTG+1 calls $1.25

FLOP ($5) K:club: T:spade: 4:diamond:

SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $3, SB folds, UTG+1 calls $3

TURN ($11) K:club: T:spade: 4:diamond: 8:club:

UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $5.75 (AI), UTG+1 calls $5.75

RIVER ($22.50) K:club: T:spade: 4:diamond: 8:club: 8:spade:
  • 4 replies
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey RandomGenerator,

Preflop is fine, but on the flop I'd like to ask you why do you want to bluff your opponents when you have showdown value with second pair top kicker? I would just check back flop and re-evaluate turn. There are also no draws out there which you could get value from on the flop with your bet and there are basically no better hands that would fold to your flop bet which means that's a very poor bluff.

As played, once you're called on this flop you have to c/f unless you improve.

Best regards,
      burek2000
    • RandomGenerator
      RandomGenerator
      Bronze
      I'd like to ask you why do you want to bluff your opponents when you have showdown value with second pair top kicker?

well, again some hands it's more like a value bet because I can get value from pocket pairs and Tx.

but the main reason why I bluff is not because I want to fold better hands. I think that pair of tens on the showdown versus 1 opponent is pretty good, but versus 2 there is a bigger chance that there will be cards on turn and river that can improve one of them. So I prefer to push at least one of them out the pot. Do you think this move has no sense?

So you think that since he called the flop bet he has something better than TPTK?
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RandomGenerator
      I'd like to ask you why do you want to bluff your opponents when you have showdown value with second pair top kicker?

well, again some hands it's more like a value bet because I can get value from pocket pairs and Tx.

but the main reason why I bluff is not because I want to fold better hands. I think that pair of tens on the showdown versus 1 opponent is pretty good, but versus 2 there is a bigger chance that there will be cards on turn and river that can improve one of them. So I prefer to push at least one of them out the pot. Do you think this move has no sense?

So you think that since he called the flop bet he has something better than TPTK?
      I am not sure you can consider you can get value from worse Txs with your AT against unknown players in 3-way pots, unless they're loose they might fold Tx hands while they're never folding Kx, so I think betting for value is a bit too thin here without additional info on opponents.

As it goes for making them fold their part of equity, you have to know there are basically only 2 cards that can improve their hands which are Q and J. So, you have to only be careful when one of those two cards shows up on later streets, but on the other hand it's much more valuable to make the use of your position which makes it possible for you to play close to perfect on turn and river. ...pushing them out of the hand does make sense, but I think you can do better than that.

One more thing, QJ has about 50% of equity against your hand on the flop, so you can't really valuebet against that hand.

As for your last question, I think he can have Tx, QJ and TP+ hands on the turn after you c-bet flop, but unless opponent is a big fish he will never call your turn push with Tx, so you can't get any more value out of worse hands here except for QJ, but this hand only has one street left to improve while there many more combinations of TP+ type of hands, so you will valuetown yourself most of the time if you shove.

Best regards,
      burek2000
    • RandomGenerator
      RandomGenerator
      Bronze
      wow, great explanation, burek! thank you very much!