[NL2-NL10] NL2 KQs, TP

• samlar
      Only 15 hands in player has 20/10 stats, nothing to show he is a fish. I flop something ideal to me. So he donks... but he limped so I had him on a low pocket pair or possibly TJ. I raise him for fold equity and he calls??? now I'm confused he can possibly have AQ or even 99, QQ? but I wouldn't see someone limping AQ or QQ from early maybe 99.

Turn is a blank but he donks again. Should I be shoving with TP here or fold since player is unknown?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, Q.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, 2 folds, MP1 calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.23) Q, 9, 9 (2 players)
      MP1 bets $0.18, Hero raises to $0.36, MP1 calls $0.18.

Turn: ($0.95) 2 (2 players)
      MP1 bets $0.60, Hero folds, MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.95.
  • 3 replies
    • acceleration123
      If you want to raise him on the flop at all, I would do it bigger, likely 0,50 at least.

But personally I´d prefer justs calling on the flop, to keep some bluffs in his range and maybe weaker Q to take pot control and not to isolate myself against some stronger hand such as trips or w/e. Rather take pot control in this case ;) .
    • kevvu
      I think flop raise (make it a bit bigger) is doable for value against JT and worser Qx, but i prefer to just call like acceleration123 said to keep his bluffs and even weaker pairs in. As played you need to call his turn donk, cause he can easily still have worse hands QX, JT, TT, JJ. Your hand is too strong to just give up.
    • veriz
      Hello samlar,

Likely just isolating yourself against better hands on flop more often than getting value from a lot worse. Therefore I'd rather prefer just to Call there and let him continue his bluffs and maybe even weaker Qx type of hands.

Just put yourself into his spot, would you like Call the raise on flop with a lot weaker Qx while facing a passive opponent?

And as played the turn, what was your plan with the raise on flop? Did you want to find out where you stand with the hand and then likely fold on turn? Or did you want to raise/fold the flop? Or what did you expect to see on turn from his side, just Check? It's somewhat strong line which he is taking, therefore as you picked so aggressive line and you didn't mention much reads on him or either your previous plays I guess folding shouldn't be like a very big mistake. That's why I usually don't like raising the flop since I am not really big fan of going broke with such a hand.

But once again, do you expect him to donk with just Qx here? For example in some cases I would expect but more often I wouldn't think about him doing that with just weaker Qx. Usually people tend to donk the turn as well for just this case that they are trying to protect you to not Check behind and as well they can't 3bet on flop since it would just look too strong. Could be trapping you, and easily he could as well have hand like T9, A9 and so on.

Best regards.