Let there be CASH GAME!

• Scarmaker
      Scarmaker
      Bronze
      "Thou shall not build poker career by push/folding"

Hello there ladies & gentlemen, I am Tom, and this is the very first episode of my also first pokerstrategy blog called Let there be CASH GAME also known as "From Scar to Star", since Scarmaker is the name most people know me by in the online poker world (not that anyone knows me anyway).

To give u a little background about who I am and why is this blog called as it is, I first got into poker in 2007, when I was 16, after I started watching poker shows in TV, which I found quite fascinating. As a student with no money and no huge interest in getting into trouble with law, I was just occasionally freerolling for more than year and a half.

At the beginning of 2009 I managed to get together small bankroll from freerolls, moving up to small low-BI MTTs and after winning hundred here and hundred there, I actually started to earn some money. In fact, to this day, vast majority of money I have ever had came from poker, since I've never had any kind of job until late 2009, when I began to write poker articles, but that's also very poker-related. In sep 09 I wanted to switch to sit & gos, so I started playing $5 DoNs on IPoker ending up playing those for almost year and a half, winning approx. $7000 in 2010 along with some MTTs.

But since DoN traffic on iPoker is now basically non-existent and Stars shutted them down, time has come for me to change the format again. I wanted to do this a long time ago anyway, so I am actually thankful to Stars for doing this. After taking a little break from poker, I decided to take up on cash games since

1) I am totally tired of push/folding
      2) There's way too big variance in MTTs to play them full time and I can still have an MTTs session every once in a while anyway
      3) Cash games are definitely most fun and most challenging, especially since they differ from DoNs more than any other format

Although having a good bankroll for even NL100, I decided to start with NL25. So far, I have played just couple 30-60 min. sessions, but enjoyed them very much, even though I running badly under EV. I will post my first graph, results and stats very soon.

Thanks a lot, cya!
  • 11 replies
    • Scarmaker
      Scarmaker
      Bronze
      Kay, here is the graph of my slow start, little over 10k hands played 8-10 tabling 6-max NL25 through march until today (3th april):

I started out really nicely being up 10 BIs after 6750 hands not counting RB and running couple $$ under EV. The rest wasn't so great, although EV line says I am not screwing up that much.

During last 3 sessions I've lost 6 buy-ins, but I am having a lot of fun playing it anyway, so I am looking forward to more sessions, I'd like to play about 30-40k hands in april and reach GoldStar. Here are the stats so far:

First few sessions I was a bit of a nit with average stats of approx. 15/13, now I am playing about 22/16.

Is there something about my stats or graph that's unusual or definitely needs improving? I found my 4,5k Non-SD winnings BE stretch interesting, does that actually mean anything? From the cg graphs I remember, the red line in those went down rather quickly.

Thx.
    • Scarmaker
      Scarmaker
      Bronze
      Just finished 6th session of this month and although I am still not turning profit, I am more than okay with it for 3 reasons:

1) I am new to the cash game, so there is retardly lot to improve on my game and therefore increase my winrate

2) I am running terribly under EV past couple thousand hands.

3) I am on my way to complete my first goal, play at least 35k of NL25 this month

So far I am taking it as more of a challenge rather than a way to earn money (I am overrolled for this limit anyway), so right now, volume is almost the only thing that matters.

First three april days looked like this:

01.04: 1477 hands
      02.04: 1189 hands
      03.04: 1201 hands

That's almost 1300 hands per day, so if I can keep this rate (and I am sure I can), it would make 39k hands at the end of the month.

Scar

PS: If there's anyone actually reading this, I would really appreciate if you could comment on my graph and stats. Thx.
    • pokerprons
      pokerprons
      Bronze
      Hi Scarmaker
      I'm taking NL25 shots myself at the moment, maybe we played a couple of hands against each other on stars ;) Your stats seem nice. I prefer to be a little more active but that's just me, aggro monkey wannabe :f_biggrin: And your graph is obviously fine as long as you're in the green :s_biggrin:
      Good luck at the tables and I'll be following you.
      Cheers
    • Scarmaker
      Scarmaker
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pokerprons
      Hi Scarmaker
      I'm taking NL25 shots myself at the moment, maybe we played a couple of hands against each other on stars ;) Your stats seem nice. I prefer to be a little more active but that's just me, aggro monkey wannabe :f_biggrin: And your graph is obviously fine as long as you're in the green :s_biggrin:
      Good luck at the tables and I'll be following you.
      Cheers
      Thanks a lot for the post and GL as well.

Exactly, as long as I am in green, everything is great. Grinding DoNs for such a long time, I was playing only and only for money. Now, I am having almost as much fun as I am almost as excited about poker as I was when I first got into it, so every $ I earn is just +

As a student still living with his parents I have basiclly no big expenses and the small ones are easily covered by the job I got, so it's just volume, volume and volume now.

However, I would really really like to get SuperNova this year, which could be done if I can get to NL50 soon enough and increase the volume a bit, so that's kind of a primary goal now.
    • Scarmaker
      Scarmaker
      Bronze
      *Cry post warning*

Tonight I played just one session of 624 hands since I got home late from school and had some things to do. I might play another one, but I am rather demotivated as this one was definitely the worst so far, although not moneywise - I lost $44,7 (EV adj. -$66,67).

I kept getting dealt premium hands for the whole time but it still ended up very badly. I was dealt aces and kings combined about 15 times and I got involved in a pot exceeding 20BBs with them only 3 times.

First time with aces I had to eventually fold cause there was nothing left I could beat on the river, so I lost more than a half of my stack there.

Second time, I ran with KK into AA, luckily enough the guy was not full stack and there also was another guy involved with 99 so I actually won about 3 bucks in that pot.

Third time it was KK vs KK, so we splitted it.

I also lost smaller pre- with AKs against AA, it was BvB, but I guess I could have avoid that considering his stats, but I did not have enough sample on him up to that point. If I had not sucked out with my AhQh against Jh9h on a Js xh xh flop, it would have also been my worst session moneywise.

In total, I am up $31 after 11300 hands, so basically BE without RB, EV adjusted it's +$180.

Let's see what tommorow will bring.
    • Scarmaker
      Scarmaker
      Bronze
      Hi guys, it's time for another update.

Since my abovementioned bad session I have played another 3181 hands. Wanted to do more, but I was playing lot of satelites past few days, trying to qualify to Austrian Deepstack Championship - did not happen.

I had one terrible session of 1166 hands losing almost 3BI running $90 under EV, but other than that I turned profit in every other one and ended up with +$13.

I also bought some hands from PKR today and I am considering reducing the amount of tables to 6 (currently playing 8) since there is a lot more to study about my opponents now and more possibilities of adjusting... and I am not prolly playing my best anyway.

Here is the graph so far, not very proud of it, but, well, that's what it is:

Even EV adjusted I am just 2.61bb/100 on NL$25 (11k hands) and 10.20bb/100 on NL€25 (3,5k hands).
    • Scarmaker
      Scarmaker
      Bronze
      Oh, and here is one funny hand from today:

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/3191084
    • Scarmaker
      Scarmaker
      Bronze
      OK, finally gonna call it a night, played exactly 4 hours today, 2635 hands, ended up with a nice profit of $119.81 (EV adj. $63.81) playing mostly 8 tables with stats 21/15/5.7

Looking forward to more days like this :)

In total I got 2.99bb/100, EV adjusted 5.94bb/100 after 15,5k hands, which is prolly fine since I started with 8 tables right away.
    • Scarmaker
      Scarmaker
      Bronze
      Just had a quick morning session, turned it off after while as I wasn't ready to lose 3BI in 18 minutes (250 hands) because of three bad setups:

1) KK vs AA against short fish

2) 88 vs J9 on QT86 - 3-way pot, almost got away from that one, but there was too much in the pot, had my FH draw and although I had over 1.1k hands on the guy from PTR, I had no personal history/notes with him

3) AT vs AA on 4T789 - opened from BTN, called BBs 3-bet (appeared to be a reg) since I was postive he can do that with lot of hands, especially things like Ax/T8s-KT. I did not lose that much though as he just checked-called the flop and not sure what to do I checked behind the other two streets too.
    • Scarmaker
      Scarmaker
      Bronze
      Another bleah setupish session!

As would Antonio Esfandiari say: weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I lost $82 playing 607 hands of NL25 (-$69 EV adj., the activity associated with this number pretty much sums up the whole session xD ) and I am actually down in total.

HM says it's -$51 after 16k hands / 24 hours of play. That's another Esfandiari :)

Even though it all obvsly sux, I am not demotivated or titled at all. In fact, I am maybe even more enthusiastic than ever - If I am down only $50 after running $200 under EV and ending up on the bad side of so many setups, the picture of how my winnings will look after I'll start run hotter and Stars will turn off this Awful Setup Mode is quite nice. Plus there are also all the extra $$$ I am getting for FPPs.

There are also two other things that keep me optimistic:

1) So far I have played 9600 hands and that's is 1200/day, which means that I am on my way to complete the only actual goal for this month - play at least 35k hands of NL25.

It won't be that easy for the rest of the month though, as I'll have to do some papers and stuff for school and I'd also like to finish clearing one bonus on certain iPoker site by playing my most likely last couple hundred DoNs ever.
      But if the only reasons why I'll fail this goal will be doing work for school and putting some volume elsewhere, I am more than okay with that.

2) Tommorow (9th april) I won't be playing at all as I will be in Prešov for a power metal madness - Helloween AND Stratovarius! Not only that I am looking forward to seeing and especially hearing the show, but I also take this as an opportunity for a fresh start.

Until that, cya!
      Scar
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      still alive? how is it going? gl