open limp in SNG

• 3 replies
    • breena
      :s_confused: nevermind
    • pavels4444
      Limping is usually NOT a right move.
      Its hard to tell you an advice if you didnt write which limits and which type of SNGs are you playing.
      The only time I limp: In MTT tournaments when I have over 40BB and hold a low pocket pair in early position. If somebody raises after to max 4BB it is still ok to call and I hope to hit the set. It is a great way to double up often... if you dont hit it, it is an easy fold.
    • pzhon
      It's ok if you never open limp. There are times when it is a reasonable play, and you should not assume that an opponent is bad because he open-limps at one of those times, although it may point to ways to exploit his play.

When a tight-early player open-limps, this is often a low pocket pair from a player who is set-mining. One way to exploit these players is to raise with a very wide range, perhaps including hands like 86s, and then make a continuation bet on almost all flops. If the set-miner plays back at you on a flop like 852, you fold, but the vast majority of the time, you collect a small pot. If you don't isolate the set-miner, you should be cautious, but you can make more continuation bets as bluffs in 3-way pots than you could against two normal players.

Even though it is so easy to identify and exploit set-miners, a study of my students' low stakes play has shown that they are making a (small) profit open-limping with low pocket pairs. Enough people pay off their sets. Winning play does not mean unexploitable play.

It is more natural to open-limp in early position than in late position. Raising is just not as good of an alternative because you will often get reraised or you will play a raised pot out of position. (Remember to consider folding.) It may be ok to open-limp with hands like AQ, AJs, KQs at times in early position if you feel this will encourage people to overlimp with dominated hands, and then pay you off. Usually you would raise these hands in middle position.

A different opportunity occurs in the small blind. Some players like the limp-and-stab. This means you limp in, hope the big blind doesn't raise, and bet on almost any flop. Usually, your opponent has missed, and often he will simply give up, thankful that you let him see whether he hit the flop. However, good players will sometimes raise when you limp in, and will play back at your stabs. I'm not a big fan of this play since open-raising is often a good alternative. However, if the effective stack depth is low, then it might be a very good way to steal some chips. Many players will call very widely when getting 2:1 odds preflop, but they will not call after missing the flop, without considering why you didn't raise preflop. So, with a hand like K8, you might push preflop for value, but with 85 and a 2.5 bb stack, you might try to open limp and then steal postflop, hoping that the big blind can fold Jx unimproved.

It can be effective to open-limp from the small blind with some strong hands as a trap. You might limp in with AA, hoping for a raise from the big blind, or for the big blind to flop one pair with a hand not worth a preflop call.