$14.87
      Hero:
      $50.53
      MP3:
      $25
      CO:
      $44.61

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.86 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:heart: , Q:diamond:
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.75, CO calls $0.75, BU folds, SB calls $0.65, Hero raises to $3.25, MP3 folds, CO calls $2.50, SB folds.

Flop: ($8.00) A:diamond: , 9:club: , 2:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $4.5, Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $8.00

hello... against MP raiser and two callers.. i squeezed with QQ OOP.. and got called by the CO..

but had a bad A high flop.. which i placed very much into his range.. so i check..

his bet was half pot.. so i fold..

was this a good fold? .. or should have i peeled a flop? .. or donked into him?
  • 5 replies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      You wouldn't donk into him it would be a standard C-bet. He really shouldn't have that many A's in his range apart from AQ, assuming he doesn't call AJ and 4-bet AKs. You still beat most of his PP since many players love to setmine. If you have some reads on your opponent that he won't barrel the turn and river with out an A's you can go for c/c since its higher EV then C-betting just to take it down because you do have showdown value.

Your c-betting Ahigh boards anyway when ever your 3-bet bluffing so it really doesn't make sense to just C/F QQ's in this spot.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Against an unknown I rather bet/fold than ck/fold here.

If you bet worse hands can still call (PPs) and likely go to showdown or you can get him to fold hands he could bluff you with.
    • gnawhalak
      gnawhalak
      Bronze
      thanks... !

one leak i should plug...
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      I've started cbetting on spots like this and I am impressed on how often villains do fold.

It happened quite a few times with me holding KK. One of those times it came an A on the flop and my first reaction was a sigh and that "oh no, not again" feeling. Then I thought, wtf, I represented a very strong hand pre-flop (4bet pot) so why no represent the ace now? I cbet half the pot OOP and villain folded.

Since then I've been doing it on a regular basis with good results, provided it's a single villain AND he is not one of those donks who will can anything pre-flop with any Ax.

I've been in the donk side too though. Just last night I raised K8s from BTN and BB 3bet. He is always playing in the same tables as me so I called because I wanted to see his 3bet range (and gable a bit, of course). Flop was Kxxr, he cbet half pot and I called (thinking it was a standard cbet with air). Turn a blank but to a flush draw, he cbet again, again half pot. And I thought "on the turn, with two of same suit on the board and a caller, half pot seems a bit low for someone really worried on protecting a hand", so I called. River changed nothing and he 3 barreled; I called and he showed QQ.

I laughed a lot on my successful donkeyness, but I'm posting all this to ask the more experienced about balance on the move.

I'd probably give up the turn on your hand, as I don't see villain calling much without Ax, maaybe KK, QQ, sets or a very strong draw; but he probably doesn't have KK or QQ or he would have 3bet himself, so I'd stick with Ax or set for the call, so I don't think his calling range + your perceived range justify a 2nd barrel.

Am I wrong here and it's more common than I think to float in OP villain`s spot?

And one last question: would check-raising OP's spot be a complete spew? He doesn't have a strong ace as AK or he would have 3bet; only chance for him to call is he is slowplaying AA (not likely) or he hit a set of 99 (low odds on his range). What kind of hand would hero represent by check-raising this 3bet pot?

Thanks for posting, OP.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Generally c-bet is fine, since you don´t put yourself on difficult situations and since board is so dry you can c-bet once and then c/f turn
      But if you widen yours and opponent ranges and also make him spew off his chips you can c/c him down and see what hands he is betting or even if he checks back flop then check turn and check river to get information what hands he is calling 3-bet