Gold Video from 27 Jan 2011

• Thiemo1981
      Thiemo1981
      Bronze
      Hey Lessthanthree and Chenny8888 and of course all others !

Thought I might reach you here best.
      I watched the above stated video and have a question to the AQo hand starting at minute 30.
      An unknown player or fish limps early position at 40/80 and you have AQo with 1360 in the SB.
      If you devide the pot of 200 into SB and BB you exactly having 10 effective BB.
      I usually directly shove in such spots and dont raise to whatever amount because I dont want to play OOP with a hand that doesnt hit the flop most of the time. Except for trapping hands I cant imagine a range this play could be bad against. Worst case will be flipping (in this specific situation, not if you look range vs range), most of the time 60:40, sometimes domination if he calls.
      I was wondering why you two didnt even consider this option.
      I thought perhaps it is because you want to have a better chance to leave weaker A in the unknowns range or you just dont want to put all your knowledge into coaching ;)

Looking forward to an answer.

Thanks.
  • 2 replies
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      Hi there

I replied in the comments of the video, but ill post it here as well.

"a shove is +EV. but IMO, we lose value against a lot of hands that we dominate like KQ/QJ/Ax . these hands would not call a shove, but will stack off very light on flops and will just fold to a cbet when they miss. so a small value-raise pre-flop should produce a higher long term profit"
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Pushing for 17 BB is definitely worth considering, and AQo is good enough to shove there. Pushing is definitely better than folding, but you also have to consider other alternatives.

I usually would not push from the button after one limp with an effective stack depth of 17 bb. The reason is that a small raise might let me play a pot in position. I normally would shove only about 13-15 bb after one limper when I have position. However, it is reasonable to push a larger amount from the blinds, or when the bubble dynamics mean a small raise would ask to be reraised out. Of course, to risk a larger amount compared with the reward, you usually need a tighter range.

I don't worry too much about leaving weaker aces in the range of the limper. I don't know exactly why, but you will see people limp/call-all-in with many worse aces. It's not a great play for them to call a push with A5o, but open-limping is often a bad play in the first place, so you shouldn't be too surprised by the bad limp/calls you will see.