BSS short handed preflop

• 6degrees
      6degrees
      Bronze
      Hi,

I have been reading about switching to BSS short handed and found a couple of seamingly contradictory pre-flop strategies on your site:

The first link seems to be contradictory in itself, firstly stating that:

"you should approach the shorthanded tables like a full ring table 
      where the first four players have folded their hands and MP2 
      would be first to act at every time" 

and then presenting a chart that implies that you should either raise or fold (never call). Perhaps I am misunderstanding the purpose of the ORC. Should I use this chart if everyone folds before me and use the BSS chart if there are limpers?

The second link seems quite different from the ORC, implying that we should limp a lot more.

I know it's not as simple as just following a chart, but I'm looking for a good starting point.

Thanks.
  • 5 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi 6degrees!

The first link seems to be contradictory in itself, firstly stating that:

"you should approach the shorthanded tables like a full ring table
      where the first four players have folded their hands and MP2
      would be first to act at every time"
      This sentence is only related to the preflop game and to the starting hands chart.

In the open raising chart only the hands which you should raise with when you are first to act are listed. It doesn't consider calls or raises before you as well as calls or raises behind you. Otherwise it would be impossible to make a chart. The ORC is only for players who beat the low limits at fullring tables and know the basics of the game. You should also know at least a bit about how to react to different types of opponents because the game at shorthanded tables is very situational.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • 6degrees
      6degrees
      Bronze
      Thanks Pushkin,

So, as a starting point, could I play with the ORC when I have had no action before me and then play using the BSS pre-flop chart when I have a limp or raise, but adjusting as if UTG is MP2? Then play standard BSS post flop? Or am I likely to lose money due to aggressive reraising pre-flop? I have watched some of the undercover videos, and he seams to play pretty standard.

Thanks.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi 6degrees!

As a starting point you could play this way but as mentioned before: The game at shorthanded tables is very situational and normally there is no "standard play".

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • 6degrees
      6degrees
      Bronze
      Hi again,

If I am not mistaken, according to the BSS preflop table (full ring) AJ and AT should be raised from MP when everyone folds in front. What is the reason for tightening up with these hands (according to ORC) when playing short handed? Should we not be playing more hands short handed?

Thanks,
      6degrees.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi 6degrees!

The only hand which is different is ATo. Since the ORC is an old chart and we are working on completely new strategy articles: Change the entry in the ORC column "MP" row "A" to AT. But again: especially for a hand like ATo it is essential to know the situation at the table. If there are tight players sitting in late position you should raise with ATo. If there are loose players you should fold because you don't want to play with ATo out of position.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81