Coffee

• Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      I drink a lot of coffee and I don't really know if it's good for my health or not, there are 2 different camps, one says that it's healthy to drink coffee, one that is not.

Do you drink coffee regularly? What do you think it does for your day and game? (and your health?)

=)
  • 18 replies
    • AleksandarPPA
      AleksandarPPA
      Bronze
      dude ... if coffee was really that good everybody would drink it ...
      coffee raises pressure and its not good to get use to it... actually its pretty dumb...but go ahead drink it it will "make u awake" witch is not true either its just mental suggestion ... it just raises pressure ... i can go on like this for hours but theres no point ull still drink it .. bye :s_biggrin:
    • TilTmuch
      TilTmuch
      Global
      well i drink coffe regulary, tho usualy with milk.
      i have no affect on sleep while drinking it so idc when i drink it :D
      but well ofc it's not healthy , and it's not good to drink it when u play.
    • cataah
      cataah
      Bronze
      coffee is a drog. if you drink a lot it will lose its effect.

What is good about coffee:
      introduction:
      look what coffee makes to you:
      I don't know to explain with scientific terms but i will explain how i understood.

imagine you have an energy bar. - like that healthbar/manabar/fatiguebar in videogames
      when you have 100 energy you are full - like in the morning when you get up

in the course of the day you lose energy.
      now every organism comes to play. Some people need to go to sleep when their energy level drops to 30, others go to sleep when it drops to 20, others to 40... etc

let's say your organism needs sleep when your energy reaches 30.

what does coffee do?
      a lot of people imagine that coffee raises your energy. But it's not what it does. In fact it lowers your bottom line - the line where your organism needs sleep.

So if you need to sleep when your energy is 30, if you drink a cup of coffee, you will need to sleep when your energy drops to 25 - this way you imagine you win 5more energy points.

what you do with that extra energy is up to you :)

this is why you can't really drink coffee instead of sleep

this^ is the usefull part of coffee.

---
      the bad part:
      coffee is a drog. so when you drink a lot ... in time it will not have the same effect.
      for example:
      first time a person drinks a cup of coffee, it lowers his level by 5poins. If that person drinks coffee for a period of time, he will lose that 5points bonus... A coffee will give him only 4 or less points - I hope you understand...

and because it's a drog you can beccome addicted to it. psychically and physically.
      psychically when you want that cup of coffee because you want it :)
      physically when you start shaking if you dont drink coffee for a period of time. - a friend told me how he was addicted to cocacola. he told me that he was literally shaking when he missed a drink one day. - same with coffee i guess

but it's not really bad. It's not like an addiction that you can't get over it or something if you want. It's something easy to deal... i guess

I just wanted to tell you(and others) that if you drink a lot of coffee it will lose/lower its benefical effects

---
      another bad thing is what it makes to your hearth. I don't know if it raises your bloodpressure but i know it gives you ... i don't know the english term for "palpitatii" - that's when your heart beats faster and unreagulary

^^ these apply if you drink like a maniac. If you drink with moderation i think it's ok.

here's a link about coffee. From what i see, it's pro coffee but it uses a lot the term "moderation"

I worked in a hospitall and all the doctors were saying that coffee is bad to health. A general recomandation for all the people with hearth problems is to drink less coffee

---
      Me and coffee
      because you asked if we drink reagularly:
      I use coffee only when i need it realy realy much for it's benefical things - for example if i have an exam tomorow and i have to learn all night... fuck school!

---
      coffee and poker:
      i used to drink coffee to keep miself wake at the tables untill i found on a forum a post of a SNE player who said that he doesn't drink coffee at all. If he feels sleepy he goes to sleep for 1-2hours.
      I think it's better this way than to alter your health just to stay awake and alert at the tables.

If you drink coffee for this^ reason, you should reevaluate the situation. As I said over time it will lower it's effect and you will need more coffee to keep you awake.
      More coffee = more side effects. It will probably not kill you but your hearth will get tired over time making your overall finess going down.

If you drink coffee just for the fun of drinking than you should reconsider the situation because you win nothing and you lose a lot in the longrun. try tea or just water.

---
      You know... when we were born we didn't need coffee. Why do we need it now?? Do we really need coffee?
      I'm not against coffee because it has some benefits but i don't drink it to much because i don't want to lose its effect:)
      I drink it only when i really need it.
      I preffer to sleep 1h instead of drinking a cup of coffee. If i can't sleep and i really need to be alert, i drink a cup of coffee.

I hope you read this even if it's a long post.
      Sorry for my english

cheers and good luck :D
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      what a load of crap. its a cup of coffee, not cocain. coffee is like just about everything else - ie ok in moderation. a good cup of coffee is a pleasure to drink and i can think of much worse 'treat's. Even pregant women are allowed one cup a day. If you enjoy one or two cups of coffee a day, go right ahead.

And for all the no coffee, no alcohol, ,no red meat, in bed at 8:30, 8 glasses of water a day, excercies five times a day and only 10 fruits for breakfast people -

remember, "Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AleksandarPPA
      coffee raises pressure and its not good to get use to it... actually its pretty dumb...but go ahead drink it it will "make u awake" witch is not true either its just mental suggestion ... it just raises pressure ... i can go on like this for hours but theres no point ull still drink it .. bye :s_biggrin:
      by your logic tomatos are bad for you because if they were good for you everyone would eat them. I don't and im sure there are others that don't. so tomatos must be bad.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cataah
      coffee is a drog.
      Actually no. Caffeine is a drug. Coffee itself does contain a drug, but it's not a drug in and of itself.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by evertonroar
      Originally posted by AleksandarPPA
      by your logic tomatos are bad for you because if they were good for you everyone would eat them. I don't and im sure there are others that don't. so tomatos must be bad.
      +1 :D
    • clubsoda
      clubsoda
      Bronze
      what a load of crap. its a cup of coffee, not cocain. coffee is like just about everything else - ie ok in moderation. a good cup of coffee is a pleasure to drink and i can think of much worse 'treat's. Even pregant women are allowed one cup a day. If you enjoy one or two cups of coffee a day, go right ahead.

And for all the no coffee, no alcohol, ,no red meat, in bed at 8:30, 8 glasses of water a day, excercies five times a day and only 10 fruits for breakfast people -

remember, "Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
    • clubsoda
      clubsoda
      Bronze
      AMEN!!!

For all the studies out there for and against, there is proof that drinking a cup before an exam increases the alertness level and performance. This was proven by the exam scores on large test groups at Universities.

Therefore, as all good things, enjoy in moderation - unless of course you have a specific health condition that prevents it. There are people who can't eat or drink certain things because of allergies. There are people with high blood pressure who should moderate or avoid coffee but for the majority, listen to your body and enjoy life!
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Caffeine is a great stimulant that's all, 2 or 3 cups a day and most people will be fine. But every body is built differently, it gives some people headaches and can be a contributing factor to things like stress, anxiety, insomnia, IBS and gastrointestinal problems.

"Everything in moderation"

This phrase works for me.

PS
      Fresh/brewed >>> Instant
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by clubsoda
      AMEN!!!

For all the studies out there for and against, there is proof that drinking a cup before an exam increases the alertness level and performance. This was proven by the exam scores on large test groups at Universities.

Therefore, as all good things, enjoy in moderation - unless of course you have a specific health condition that prevents it. There are people who can't eat or drink certain things because of allergies. There are people with high blood pressure who should moderate or avoid coffee but for the majority, listen to your body and enjoy life!
      +1
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      I go through phases, sometimes I will drink coffee (no more than 2-3 cups a day) and sometimes I will go weeks or months without having any.

Lately I have been drinking green tea and loving it :)
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GodlikeRoy
      I go through phases, sometimes I will drink coffee (no more than 2-3 cups a day) and sometimes I will go weeks or months without having any.

Lately I have been drinking green tea and loving it :)
      im the same. sometimes i drink a lot of it. but sometimes i go hours and only have one or two
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      I drink at least 10 cups of coffee a day, every day, and have for the better part of three decades. Aside from some mild withdrawal symptoms when I go 24 hours without coffee, I haven't noticed any ill effects. And no, I have no problem sleeping. In fact, I sleep too much because of prescription medication that has a soporific side-effect, which I've been taking for about TWO decades.

I would drink tea but I find it's always too hot for me. In fact, some coffee shop coffee is too hot for me as well, so I put significant amounts of milk in it. I do drink iced tea on warm days in the summer.

Sometimes, instead of coffee, I'll buy a half-sweet mocha at Starbucks. On days when I do this I drink maybe five or at most seven cups of coffee.

Just as trivia, I drink the vast majority of my coffee at home, made by a coffeemaker. I abuse my coffeemakers so savagely that I stopped buying cheap ones decades ago and now typically spend about $150 to $250 on a coffeemaker that will last me five to seven years. I do have a couple of cheap $20 coffeemakers I keep as spares in case my main coffeemaker breaks down. They aren't good for regular use, but they help bridge the gap in case the main coffeemaker breaks down.

Lastly, from time to time I used to drink Turkish coffee for variety. If I did this I'd cut my regular coffee consumption down to maybe three a day, along with a full (double) cup of Turkish. But Turkish is hard to find these days, and I despise espresso except in a mocha.

Hope that's too much information for only most of you, as opposed to everyone. :D
    • Taurunum5
      Taurunum5
      Bronze
      lol
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      @belayd, lol, you reminded me of this video

What sizes are your cups? When you say 10 cups a day it seems very much, but maybe you drink little cups.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Taurunum5
      lol
      epic first post
    • Classified181
      Classified181
      Bronze

+1, i love this, explains my life and lifestyle in so few words, nice work er ;) .
      As for the coffee thing, i have 1 a day at 5am when i get to work and need it every morning, after that coffee is the last thing on my mind to the next 5am.