Help in identifying your opponents holding sets..

• Roya1flush
      Roya1flush
      Bronze
      Hi guys

I have been playing poker for a long time, and this is something which i keep on running into...

This morning i was playing and lost 3 big pots to sets...

I dont know how it happens but i always seem to run into sets..

any advice would be great..

Thank You
  • 3 replies
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      I guess when you are with KK and AA on drawless board with lower cards, you can't help it.. If you run into a set, you hope for your two outs :D

In any other case, the set is still a tough obstacle, because it is easily hidden hand and you can get a read quite rarely. I guess the key is to take care with hands like high aces(top pair with good kicker for example) and to try and control the pot with them, you don't want it to get huge... Fold when check-raised big. I guess raise on flop and check on turn is often an indication of a set or any other huge hand.

It's definitely hard and I still lose much against sets, too, but underestimating hands like AQ or AJ and avoiding big pots with them even if you hit a pair surely helps to minimize the losses.
    • Roya1flush
      Roya1flush
      Bronze
      Yea I know when i am check raised and its big i normally give the hand up..

I don't like playing A-J at all, i see it as a self trapping hand.. i do play A-Q but only if its connected...

one of the sets i lost to was 777 i had AA and the flop did not look dangerous.. so i raised it, and he went all in and i called.. ($182 pot)

Funny and annoying thing is he hit his 7 on the turn and all the money went in on the flop... the flop J :heart: - 9 :diamond: - 2 :club: and the turn 7 :spade: river Q :diamond:

I really did not understand the all in from the guy on the flop without hitting, guess he thought his 77 was good and decided to push and got lucky..
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Roya1flush!

That's exactly what you want him to do! He is putting all his money in hoping for two outs. That's great for you. In some cases you lose, but in most of the cases you will win and that means longterm profit. Don't worry about running into sets: it happens to all of us!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81