[NL2-NL10] NL5 AQo

• vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:heart: , Q:spade: . MP3 posts a blind of $0.04.
      5 folds, MP3 checks, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.46) 8:diamond: , A:spade: , K:club: (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.32, MP3 calls $0.32.

Turn: ($1.10) 2:spade: (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.90, MP3 calls $0.90.

River: ($2.90) 9:heart: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $2.68, Hero raises to $2.55 (All-In).

Final Pot: $8.13

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows [ Ah, Qs ] a pair of Aces
      MP3 shows [ Ks, Kd ] three of a kind, Kings
      MP3 wins $0.13 USD with three of a kind, Kings.
      MP3 wins $7.60 USD with three of a kind, Kings.
  • 12 replies
    • Cojack123
      Cojack123
      Black
      dont think a fold is bad.
      With reads i call.
    • Cojack123
      Cojack123
      Black
      I got cheated, but NH regardless

disconnet is the best move
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      lol
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      I'd check behind on the turn for pot control.

If he bets the river I'm calling. If he checks I'm betting.
    • Thorsten77
      Thorsten77
      Black
      I like a check behind on the turn, but as played I'd fold the river - I don't see him shoving as a bluff or with weaker hands in this spot.
    • aanty2000
      aanty2000
      Bronze
      i think checking behind on turn in this situation is bad . i think you lose some value on the long run from weaker aces some second pairs or third pairs ... or even we can let them draw free ... folding river is not bad altough
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aanty2000
      i think checking behind on turn in this situation is bad . i think you lose some value on the long run from weaker aces some second pairs or third pairs ... or even we can let them draw free ... folding river is not bad altough
      I disagree with you. The board is not drawy and his hand is not too strong, I don't think it's a good idea to play for a huge pot there.
      So, IMO, checking behind on the turn for pot control is better.
      You'll be able to extract a little more on the river if he has a weaker Ace or some smaller pair, or you may even induce a bluff.
      And you'll also limit your losses in case villain has a better hand.
    • aanty2000
      aanty2000
      Bronze
      i agree that our hand is not the strongest but from his play neither his hand is strong . he posts bb oop and then he calls a raise ... i think we are way ahead of his range that can be almost any two cards in this spot at this limit . beting turn and folding to an allin bet on the river makes as lose the same money if we check the turn and call a donk bet on the river but i think beting the turn gives us some fold equity too so i think in this spot bet turn / check/fold river if he goes allin is beter then check/ turn call river . we know that he had kings here and i guess you talk about the hand knowing the results .
    • Taswell
      Taswell
      Bronze
      His limp then call preflop, shouts either small/med A ace or small/med pockets, I am guesstimating at these limits cos I play them myself

Therfore a check behind for pot control is better in case you are already behind with 2 pair or set.

This will prob allow you to get to showdown cheaper as you only have a pair, altho it is top pair.

Also the way he played i would like to see the showdown but not for my whole stack tho............
    • aanty2000
      aanty2000
      Bronze
      when three people tell you you;'re drunk you have to go to sleep :P ... but i am not very convinced :P
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      but i think beting the turn gives us some fold equity.
      We got no fold equity against better hands.

i think we are way ahead of his range
      Just because we are ahead of one's range, doesn't mean we should bet.

beting turn and folding to an allin bet on the river makes as lose the same money if we check the turn and call a donk bet on the river
      IMO, the problem here, is that you're not thinking on longterm.

Just to simplify things, let's suppose there are absolutely no draws on the board (I know there are, but it's very unlikely he's on a draw.).

If you bet turn, you may "help" him lay down a worse hand. Like a weaker Ace, a K, an eight, or a pp. While he'll still call (or raise) with A8, AK, 88, AA or KK. (But AK, AA and KK are unlikely, and if he had 22 it's just bad luck).
      So you'll be mostly be putting money in the pot when you're behind.

If you check the turn. You induce a bluff from worse hands, like Ax, a K, an 8, a pp or even a pure bluff.
      So you'll get more value from worse hands than if you had bet the turn.
      In addition to that he gets less value from you if he has you beat.

Of course if the board was draw-heavy you'd have to forget about pot control and protect the hand IMO, if he had a better hand, nothing you can do about it I think.

we know that he had kings here and i guess you talk about the hand knowing the results .
      I just saw the results now that you've mentioned. :D

And I'm pretty sure Thorsten didn't talk about the hand letting the results influence his thinking process.

Hope I could help.
    • degnic
      degnic
      Bronze
      I think it depends a lot from villain's stats. Against passive callingstation I definetly bet flop, bet turn, bet river, against normal (aggressive) player/unknown I like to check behind turn.