[NL2-NL10] There are things worse than a bad beat

• luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      You sit down at those nit full ring tables all day waiting for a spot. And then it comes.

PartyGaming - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 8 players

SB: $3.73
      Hero (BB): $14.49
      UTG: $3.62
      UTG+1: $9.39
      MP: $8.39
      MP+1: $12.45
      CO: $10.00
      BTN: $13.88

SB posts SB $0.05, Hero posts BB $0.10, CO posts DB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.25) Hero has 9:club: K:club:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.10, fold, fold, CO checks, fold, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.40, 4 players) K:spade: 7:spade: 9:spade:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.25, fold, CO calls $0.25, fold

Turn: ($0.90, 2 players) K:diamond:
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

River: ($1.70, 2 players) 5:club:
      Hero bets $1.00, CO raises to $2.80,

Hero thinks: how much would he call? Should I make it $6? Or just ship it? Oh, he will call, he has a flush or a lower full house so he'll call anything. I'll just ship it and...

fold CO wins $3.52

What?! Whaaaaaat?! Oh, f****, this is a speed table! :f_cry:
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello luizsilveira,

Flop: Bet it even bigger here, I would even consider betting pot.
      Turn: One of the worst play you could consider, I would either bet it near pot or just Check/Raise it, doesn't make sense like ever to Check/Call it.

As played
      River: Bet/Shove, not much you can do and hope for a Call.

Best regards.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello luizsilveira,

Flop: Bet it even bigger here, I would even consider betting pot.
      Cheers.

This is one spot I'm always troubled - of course especially out of position. On a monotone board, if I bet biggish I am not telegraphing "I don't have the flush"?

Originally posted by veriz

Turn: One of the worst play you could consider, I would either bet it near pot or just Check/Raise it, doesn't make sense like ever to Check/Call it.

I do see the point of betting turn of course, and even of betting/raising it to make the pot huge.

BUT... what I thought was I had it locked, so I could let him bet the turn and the river (which he did). No cards could have made me lose, and if he had (say) the A of spades I wanted him to river the flush to pay me out for sure.

Why is it soooo bad to check/call turn to bet/shove river?

Thanks a lot!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      This is one spot I'm always troubled - of course especially out of position. On a monotone board, if I bet biggish I am not telegraphing "I don't have the flush"?

We want to protect as well from 1card flushdraw. And nope this ain't like "I have the flush" bet. You would bet this way with a lot of hands.

I do see the point of betting turn of course, and even of betting/raising it to make the pot huge.

Then you just wont extract value from anything here and against passive opponent you will loose a lot of value in long run.

BUT... what I thought was I had it locked, so I could let him bet the turn and the river (which he did). No cards could have made me lose, and if he had (say) the A of spades I wanted him to river the flush to pay me out for sure.

That doesn't make me to like ever Check/Call on that board, we just wont get maximum value from him while playing this way. He could easily Check behind the turn, he could easily Check behind the river, we are OOP, he maybe is passive, and a lot of other factors why I wouldn't Check/Call it it like EVER. I want to go for maximum value and this means I am planning to play for the stacks not just 25% of his stack while I am trying to slowplay the nuts being OOP.

Why is it soooo bad to check/call turn to bet/shove river?

You wont see most of the time him raising on river while it's freeplay pot and should have an overview already from previous answers. I'd say worst play ever picked is Check/Call turn and then donk the river. :D I would be even more inclined to Check/Raise the turn than Check/Call.