Sng UTG min-raises

• Terayon87
      Terayon87
      Bronze
      Hey everyone, first post :D

I have been grinding the $5 SnGs on CD/VC Poker (They have great 30 man sng) after suffering a huge swing in my bankroll.
      (thought it was time to get some decent bankroll skills hence joining PS)

I haven’t been noticing recently, especially at lower limits that a minraise UTG usually signifies great strength. 80% of the time I get shoved if I raise a min-raise raiser. If it goes to showdown, it’s usually monsters I'm up against.

I think the psychology is that weaker players who do not know how to protect their hand minraise as they think they are extracting value from a monster hand without scaring away weaker hands.
      For this reason, I have found it to be quite profitable to call in a late position with a good drawing hand such as 6 :heart: 7 :heart: as if you hit the flop well, you get paid off every time.

Personally, I will be staying away from UTG min-raisers from now expect in extreme circumstances on lower limits.

I thought it would be a decent discussion point though.

Terayon.
  • 6 replies
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Yeah I see this all too often.

Fact of the matter is though, on the BB with 2 or more callers in front of you, you have excellent odds to call almost any 2 cards.

Is there anytime where it's advisable to make a min-raise yourself? I'm guessing the answer is no.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ManniXXX
      Is there anytime where it's advisable to make a min-raise yourself? I'm guessing the answer is no.
      You guessed right ;) Stick with a 3BB + 1/limper for tournaments, it works just fine ^^. A min-raise gives far too good odds for your opponents.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      at the early stages of a tournament a minraise is 100% wrong unless it's live and you want to give that psychological impression that you're an absolute retard.
    • LairdMJ
      LairdMJ
      Bronze
      Hi,

its even simpler sometimes.

CD or Titan have this "raise-button" that automatcally raises to the double BB.

There was just no thought at all by the raiser to the size of the raise other than: "Good" hand = raise.

A 2BB bet would not protect KK against 4 or 5 callers but only sweetens the pot.

An UTG raise to 2BB indicates to me a weak player with what he thinks is a good hand and no idea how to play it.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      it almost reveals their holecards to you.
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      it almost reveals their holecards to you.
      Not at all.

I've seen donks do this with 67s to AA.

The most common one is KQ in my experience.