What does this following term means

• Evante
      Evante
      Bronze
      I been watching ps's video and there is a few terms that i dont understand. What does it means by balanced, unbalanced (eg, this reg is so unbalance blah blah blah) and what does polarised and depolarised means
  • 3 replies
    • phathustler
      phathustler
      Bronze
      Someone else can feel free to correct me, this is just what I've inferred from seeing people use the terms:

An unbalanced strategy is one where you're failing to distribute that line across your perceived range in a good way. That is, you're choosing this line too much or too little with these particular hands in your range. For example, choosing to only cbet the flop when you actually hit would be very unbalanced. If you only ever check-raise the flop on dry boards as an OOP preflop caller with trips, that's very unbalanced.

To be balanced then is the opposite of that, but probably people mean "well balanced" when they say balanced, since it's more than just making sure you do this move with a variety of holdings, but that you do it an optimal percentage of the time with each. That is, it's not balanced to start check-raise bluffing half the time in the above example when you miss while set-mining. You'd need to check-raise bluff some percentage of the time, but not that much. (Usually this percentage will be related to the percentage of your hand range which hit.)

Polarized means something like the line drastically cuts out parts of their hand range. I think most commonly it's used like "their range is very polarized into bluffs or nuts", like if hand strength is on a spectrum.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by phathustler
      Polarized means something like the line drastically cuts out parts of their hand range. I think most commonly it's used like "their range is very polarized into bluffs or nuts", like if hand strength is on a spectrum.
      A simple example of this is when the flush card hits on the turn that is otherwise a blank, yet the villain re-raises you. Assuming you were value betting the flop, his range is now polarized: it's either the nuts (he turned the flush) or it's a pure bluff (at best he has 2nd pair or something).

Also balanced and unbalanced only works against other regulars who are paying attention. Most people don't worry about balance much until NL100. (The exact limit is obviously dependent on your site and time of play. If you have played tens of thousands of hands with regs at NL25 then you might need to add some bluffs to your OR ranges.)

Some of the newer videos definitely cover these topics. For example I'm pretty sure Crushing NL50 touches on this.
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      Originally posted by Evante
      I been watching ps's video and there is a few terms that i dont understand. What does it means by balanced, unbalanced (eg, this reg is so unbalance blah blah blah) and what does polarised and depolarised means
      {balanced} / {unbalanced}: I will try to explain these terms with an example. Imagine that in a spot you are never playing this line for bluff and only for value. Therefore, you're line cannot be balanced with bluffs, and contains value bets/raises only. To balanse the line you could use it to set up bluffs also.

One thing- thinking about balance is important about good players. It's not that importact when it comes to weak players.

{polarized} / {depolarized}: Again, shortly, and will try to make it easy to understand. If you're betting a wide range for value and only a few bluffs, then you're range is depolarized in general. If you bet 50% vb and 50% bluffs, then your general betting range is polarized- in yet another sense, ie. it is either very strong or weak.

To imagine that think of bipolar magnet.

Cheers,
      Michal