Continuation Betting - Middle Phase

• Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Greetings,

Should we make Continuation Bets in the Middle Phase when we miss the Flop? I find far too often I make the CB and I get Called. Then they Bet small on the Turn and I want to Call again which is a big leak.

I figure that it would be better to save those chips rather than risk them on a Continuation Bet.

Opinions?

And it's not just against loose players, it's against tight players also who may understand Floating, though maybe they just hold or have hit a small pair.
  • 4 replies
    • Lanxani
      Lanxani
      Bronze
      Hey,

On dry boards i nearly always c-bet in the middle phase unless i have a specific read that my opponent is a c/r candidate.

If you make a smaller pre flop raise, then the c-bet will seem like a more efficient bet

TBH though as soon i miss the flop & he calls the c-bet i just give up with it

Interested to hear how others handle the small turn bet though :)
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lanxani
      Hey,

On dry boards i nearly always c-bet in the middle phase unless i have a specific read that my opponent is a c/r candidate.

If you make a smaller pre flop raise, then the c-bet will seem like a more efficient bet

TBH though as soon i miss the flop & he calls the c-bet i just give up with it

Interested to hear how others handle the small turn bet though :)
      These players bluff like crazy at low stakes.

I like how you mention the Check-Raise which is not something I have been doing. It's a great option out of position whether you hit the flop or not.

I've also been preferring a "Small Ball" size bet of 2.5x, even in the Early Phase if I am in the Button or SB, just to ensure that I can CB without spending too much.
    • Maniac81
      Maniac81
      Bronze
      i cbet on dry boards and if villain c/r i make a mental note, that i wont cbet air against him in the future. Against those players you can check behind strong Hands on the Flop and they will bluff all their stack away on future streets.
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Maniac81
      i cbet on dry boards and if villain c/r i make a mental note, that i wont cbet air against him in the future. Against those players you can check behind strong Hands on the Flop and they will bluff all their stack away on future streets.
      You know, I used to think that way too, not sure why I don't anymore. I used to be good at playing an opponent the second time around. I'd do the opposite of what I did the first time and he would hang himself. Good times... I gotta get back to that... :s_cool: Thanks!!