[NL2-NL10] Facing a big overbet from BB

• VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      In this hand, the villain is the BB.
      On several occasions at this table, -- only 48 hands -- he had come in with a large overbet after a raise and a call. The call almost always came from the player on the button, who called any raise, then donked large on the flop.

The BB Player would overbet more than triple the donk bet and everyone would fold.

I did not write down the stats at the time, but they were both loose, and both v aggro.

In this hand I opened pocket 7s. I was not surprised at the response from the other two.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP2 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7, 7.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 2 folds, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB raises to $0.50,
      Hero calls $0.42,
      Until now I had folded in all of these situations. I thought that the raise from the BB would drive out the BU, and I'm ahead against broadways, but way behind any higher pair, and in position postflop, and I certainly don't have values to re-raise.

BU calls $0.42.
      Oops, he came along too

Given the history of these two players, is this line of thought making sense? Before calling, I checked my attitude. I was ahead about 3/4 bi, I was tired, but not too tired. I was a bit annoyed at being pushed off so many prior raises pre-flop, and just wanted see what he was going with. I was beginning to suspect he was using air and muscle -- especially since it had been successful for him previously. Also, I thought that pushing back might make him back down a bit in future hands.

Flop: ($1.51) 4, 7, J (3 players)
      BB bets $1.80, Hero calls $1.76, BU calls $1.80.

Turn: ($6.87) 5 (3 players)

River: ($6.87) A (3 players)

Final Pot: $6.87.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, sevens(7 7).
      BB shows a pair of kings(K K).
      BU shows a pair of jacks(J K).

It turns out my read was quite wrong, and he did indeed have a hand, which is what made me question my whole train of thought.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello VorpalF2F,

Preflop: There is no way you can make the Call profitable while there is so much to Call. Rather just fold the hand, you will in long run loose a lot money.

As played
      Postflop: Miracle? :D

Best regards.