$$ hourly rate - mtt vs sng vs cash

• Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      I was wondering what are the hourly rates the best players achieve in the different types of poker
      and what are the hourly rates of good low stakes players in each

My opinion:
      sngs have a limited hourly of around $100/ hour because the high stakes dont run enough or are profitable enough to achieve higher.. but maybe im wrong

In mtts the variance is very big but we can assume what the great players likely ROI are and just count their ROIs as results instead of their swingy results
      For large $20 - $50 Mtts i would guess the great players would Roi's of around 50% and they can play around 9 tables of them but they take long but I would guess they can get higher hourly rates then SNG players

I dont about cash games

What are you opinions?
  • 8 replies
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      cash games depends on the stakes, winrate and number of tables.

you can potentially made several hundred per hour at mid-high stakes cash games. if you are the very best and make it to nosebleeds you can make thousands per hour.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      In theory the bigger the swings the bigger the $/hour, so that's cash games<sng<mtt. However, while a great cash game player should preserve his BB/100h over the stakes, you can be a god in sng's but you're roi will decrease.

So that means the bigger the bankroll the more tempted you should be to migrate to cash games.

Great MTT players assume they're ROI is 3 digits, especially when they play lower then the usual. Grinding machines (lower ROI) can play 24 tables or more (read about Boku turning 100$ into 10k in 2 weeks by 50-60tabling low stakes).

Don't make the mistake of following the $/hour too much, it doesn't help as much as you might think. Play what you like and get the best you can be at it. I bet you're not winning 99$/hour in sng's and concern yourself with your perspectives. Good luck!
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Its so crucial to take different things into consideration when trying to calculate your "win rate"

Rakeback / Races & Bonuses - Just because one room offers you X% rakeback, it doesn't mean that it is better than another room. For example on PokerStrategy Ongame rake races there are not so many places and it is relatively easy to get a good position on the rake board

Amount of tables available - Some sites, such as Bodog only allow you to play 4 tables. Other sites such as PKR have such amazing graphics that it is pretty hard to play alot of tables. Some sites such as Microgaming/Ongame/Full Tilt and PokerStars have really good software where you are able to play almost as many tables as you like. Obviously if you winrate is $x per table, if you can play more tables your overall winrate will increase

Volume of traffic - Ok cool, we have found a site that lets us play 1000 tables at once. Ship the two 50" monitors so I can crush some noobs. Oh whats that? There is only 5 tables running?

Standard of competition - If you could play 5 tables against the biggest fish in the world or 16 tables against the biggest nits in the world it is likely your winrate will be better on the "5 tables vs fish" than the big grind against the regs.

It's super important you take everything into account and don't just see some shady affiliate offering an illegal rakeback deal (that might not be there forever anyway) and put all your roll on that website. Be professional, do some research, find the right site for YOU and go win as much money as possible.
    • Tavbi123
      Tavbi123
      Bronze
      multitabling hu cash -> win:)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Tavbi123
      multitabling hu cash -> win:)
      Sounds so easy but there are a few problems.

1) Regs will not play you - (If you're good :f_biggrin: ) This means you have to have bankroll spread around few sites to "find the fish" some people aren't comfortable with this

2) Its harder to multitable - You are constantly having to make decision in HU. In 6max you can sometimes not be involved in any hands on all 10+ tables, but in every single hand at HU you are involved. If you play 400+, you sometimes have to get onto level 6/7/8, the , I know, he knows, I know, he knows, I know, and when you are doing this against 4 different people (fish won't want to play more than one table) it gets ridicuously tough. Not many people I know can play against 4 seperate opponents at medium stakes. Even at microstakes it will be hard, and when we get back to the subject of "winrate" its going to take a big big dive if we try to play too many tables.
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      i rly would be surprised if in any games people were on level 8 thinking. i think level 5 is probably the max that most really good players will be able to think at
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by TobyCS
      i rly would be surprised if in any games people were on level 8 thinking. i think level 5 is probably the max that most really good players will be able to think at
      Yeah was just emphasizing point that you aren't playing premiums and almost every decision in HU comes from previous actions. Like in 6max you can click back through hands etc etc, but on HU it really is almost impossible if you are playing 4 different opponents.

Also of course lvel 4 = level 8 :)

Anyway lets not divert the thread.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      there are lots of merits to 6-10 tabling microstakes MTTs and getting some volume in. would love to see someone show some stats for it.

but yeah gotta love having >40% ROI over big samples thanks to the big fields.