$1 Sngs

    • Bendafatman
      Bendafatman
      Bronze
      Joined: 21.07.2008 Posts: 211
      just played my first one. 6 seater. and won!

      thing is.... i won $2.88 :f_confused:

      Is it worth playing?

      hmmm.... just won the 10 seater and won $4. Thats better :)
  • 7 replies
    • damnedgina
      damnedgina
      Basic
      Joined: 06.04.2011 Posts: 4
      Congratulations... :) !
    • AleksandarPPA
      AleksandarPPA
      Bronze
      Joined: 26.07.2010 Posts: 136
      play what u like mostly don't look profits that much if ur good at sng CRUSH THEM all .... or find more profitable sng's for you!! over and out :s_cool:
    • bohemiagrove
      bohemiagrove
      Bronze
      Joined: 28.03.2011 Posts: 393
      Originally posted by Bendafatman
      just played my first one. 6 seater. and won!

      thing is.... i won $2.88 :f_confused:

      Is it worth playing?

      hmmm.... just won the 10 seater and won $4. Thats better :)


      You did good.If you ask me -you played 2 games and made money.If you like to learn poker and get better, profit should not be your main goal...your main goal should be to make the right decisions and thats it. :s_biggrin:
    • Biggles87
      Biggles87
      Bronze
      Joined: 05.04.2011 Posts: 31
      I'm not a fan of the SNGs @ $1. I don't know about the higher levels, haven't looked yet but at $1 Hold Em' is exclusively Turbo.

      Admittedly I only played one, but having done well at SNGs on other sites I thought I would be able to do ok only losing out either because I found myself in a bad spot or a bad decision on my part.

      Not so with the $1 SNG Turbo, where it still plays a part but your need a large amount of luck too. The blinds went up so fast that you had to either get excellent hands at a steady rate or luck out when you were forced periodically to move all-in with trash hands. The blinds very quickly got to the point where they were a 1/5, a 1/4 or even 1/3 of your stack and came around so quickly when the players dwindled.

      I know it sounds like sour grapes, but seeing as our goal is to reduce variance and the impact of downswings, I don't see these SNGs as great options for making steady progress both in game and bankroll terms. Normal SNGs are fine, Speed is okay, Turbo is too risky in my opinion


      On the otherhand is your game is omaha then you're fine as theirs as normal pace as oppose to turbo.

      Comments?
    • bohemiagrove
      bohemiagrove
      Bronze
      Joined: 28.03.2011 Posts: 393
      Originally posted by Biggles87
      I'm not a fan of the SNGs @ $1. I don't know about the higher levels, haven't looked yet but at $1 Hold Em' is exclusively Turbo.

      Admittedly I only played one, but having done well at SNGs on other sites I thought I would be able to do ok only losing out either because I found myself in a bad spot or a bad decision on my part.

      Not so with the $1 SNG Turbo, where it still plays a part but your need a large amount of luck too. The blinds went up so fast that you had to either get excellent hands at a steady rate or luck out when you were forced periodically to move all-in with trash hands. The blinds very quickly got to the point where they were a 1/5, a 1/4 or even 1/3 of your stack and came around so quickly when the players dwindled.

      I know it sounds like sour grapes, but seeing as our goal is to reduce variance and the impact of downswings, I don't see these SNGs as great options for making steady progress both in game and bankroll terms. Normal SNGs are fine, Speed is okay, Turbo is too risky in my opinion


      On the otherhand is your game is omaha then you're fine as theirs as normal pace as oppose to turbo.

      Comments?
      pick your spots.turbo is easy if you change gears.
      I play agressive in the start pick alot of chips and then play solid poker at the end.If you are not agressive in the beggining then you will have hard times when the blinds get big.
      the 3 keys to my turbo success.
      1.Playn the format
      2.Picking my spots
      3.Changing gears as I explained

      I love to call with suited conectors big raises when the blinds are small.Very good spot to take some ones stack cuz normaly people raise pairs and stack off like donks.
    • Biggles87
      Biggles87
      Bronze
      Joined: 05.04.2011 Posts: 31
      You're right. I was thinking that Turbo is far more suited to LAG than TAG. TAG are more likely to be swallowed by the blinds.

      Still the more aggresive players on the table didn't fair especially well. In particular losing out on a race to myself. I think the LAG strategy early followed by tightening up in order to exploit both your image to chip up when you do get the cards.

      In the one game I played I lost some chips from my starting stack, got a hand pocket Ks. Doubled up, doing well. Lose some more chips, Go All-in with K7s, far from a great hand but I was against pocket 2s, and hit. At this point the blinds were so high even with the top stack you only have maybe 5 big blinds. I was top stack, equivalent to the second and fourth stacks combined with only the 4 of us left. My AKo against his QTo. 2/3rds of the time to me, on this occasion to him. The blinds were too high for me to do anything other than go all-in with the next half-respectable hand.

      End of the game.

      Short of building an enormous stack compared to the rest of the table there wasn't much else that would have changed that table for me. I had the big stack by what on any other table would be a very large margin but on a turbo is meaningless. I know I shouldn't feel annoyed considering the fact I ultimately lost to a bad beat but even to get to that point where I had that many chips I had to get quite lucky.


      Maybe when I get a decent bankroll, I'll do some research into turbo, but for now I'll avoid them. On other SNGs I would cash about 50% of the time meaning they would be profitable to me. With Turbo I can't be sure of cashing once in 10 games. I get the feeling that to take away the high variance that is inherent in them i'll need to invest a whole lot.

      But when I do get that chance i'll be sure to take your advice :P
    • bohemiagrove
      bohemiagrove
      Bronze
      Joined: 28.03.2011 Posts: 393
      Originally posted by Biggles87
      You're right. I was thinking that Turbo is far more suited to LAG than TAG. TAG are more likely to be swallowed by the blinds.

      Still the more aggresive players on the table didn't fair especially well. In particular losing out on a race to myself. I think the LAG strategy early followed by tightening up in order to exploit both your image to chip up when you do get the cards.

      In the one game I played I lost some chips from my starting stack, got a hand pocket Ks. Doubled up, doing well. Lose some more chips, Go All-in with K7s, far from a great hand but I was against pocket 2s, and hit. At this point the blinds were so high even with the top stack you only have maybe 5 big blinds. I was top stack, equivalent to the second and fourth stacks combined with only the 4 of us left. My AKo against his QTo. 2/3rds of the time to me, on this occasion to him. The blinds were too high for me to do anything other than go all-in with the next half-respectable hand.

      End of the game.

      Short of building an enormous stack compared to the rest of the table there wasn't much else that would have changed that table for me. I had the big stack by what on any other table would be a very large margin but on a turbo is meaningless. I know I shouldn't feel annoyed considering the fact I ultimately lost to a bad beat but even to get to that point where I had that many chips I had to get quite lucky.


      Maybe when I get a decent bankroll, I'll do some research into turbo, but for now I'll avoid them. On other SNGs I would cash about 50% of the time meaning they would be profitable to me. With Turbo I can't be sure of cashing once in 10 games. I get the feeling that to take away the high variance that is inherent in them i'll need to invest a whole lot.

      But when I do get that chance i'll be sure to take your advice :P
      one last advice call 3 bets when the blinds are stills small with suited conectors or A3s preflop and then try to get cheap turn,donk bet if you wish most of the fish won't raise cuz they will hardly put you on a draw.Once you hit and you know that he has poket pair/set but on a board that has no pair(for fullhouse) make him go all-in.I am sure that most fo the people who play 1$ turbos don't know shit about pot odds etc.Just push all-in once you hit and you will get called most of the time.