Shorthanded devastation

• TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Hi guys,
      I recently made it to about 400$ in my partypoker bankroll and am playing .5/1$ fixed limit. Seeing as I had 400BB I tried shorthanded, sticking to the silver shorthand chart religiously, but in 4 days I've had a constant stream of "He called to the river, then he raised while I have TPTK, I'll call" then the fish has a miracle 2 pair, or I have QQ/KK/jj and the flop comes all overcards or an Ace and theres a guarantee some horrible players who have A2o in MP3 after calling my Raise from MP2.

So basically I'm down to 277$, after 10 hours of playing I have a "winrate" of -12 BB/hr, so I guess it's back to long hand where after 40 hours I had a winrate of 2.6. I know SH has bigger swings than LH but this is just crazy.

I feel like I gained absolutely nothing from playing shorthand for that small amount of time and that I've learned nothing, maybe I expect too much from the SH chart thinking it guarantees winning.

On the plus side I still feel hugely confident that my LH game is strong, and I'll get back to at least 400BB again before stepping into the SH waters.

Bleh.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, I probably wasn't ready for shorthanded, this is a warning to all those who want to make the transition - SH feels a lot more threatening, as you can't just fold away and be untouchable until the good hands come around, make sure you have 500BB before starting SH ^_^ and make sure to properly learn the shorthanded material =)
  • 3 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi TerrorBlade!

I'm sorry to hear that you are in a downswing. I recommend that you take a break and study our strategy articles, post hands and watch our FL SH coachings. That should help.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Floating
      Floating
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TerrorBlade

EDIT: Now that I think of it, I probably wasn't ready for shorthanded, this is a warning to all those who want to make the transition - SH feels a lot more threatening, as you can't just fold away and be untouchable until the good hands come around, make sure you have 500BB before starting SH ^_^ and make sure to properly learn the shorthanded material =)
      hi TerrorBlade,

I think the main drawback here is that Party doesn not offer SH tables at lower stakes.
      Myself, after playing NL25 SH for weeks, had a look at FL SH (mainly to relax a bit after the hammering that NL is. ;)

First I played a few hours at Titan .2 to get a feel for the game
      Quickly moved to .5 and now i am at 1 (and must say i really should start studying the game a bit instead of going by intuition)
      So better to start at a limit below ur bank roll i gues, as it is a very different game again. A bankroll of 300BB is still ok i guess. I think it is more important to be strict and down to a lower level when necessary.
    • Classical
      Classical
      Bronze
      Hi terrorblade. Sorry to hear this, but I have no doubt that you will overcome this and will be successful on SH later. On the German forum I've seen *many* accounts of players who had to step back from their first attempt(s) on SH, but were very successful on it later.

One other idea if you remain on Party: you can already start using the SH chart in many situations on a FR table, especially when it's tight. If the early players fold it's become an SH table automatically, and you can also apply the parts for Blind defense and what to do after limpers. And Open Raising of course, but no doubt you're doing that already.

That's what I'm doing and I'm *hoping* it will prepare me for SH somewhat already, but I'm still on FR tables so I can't be sure.