This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Question about Moving Up

• Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Hi,

A question about what to do when you move up.

Currently, I play $0.05/$0.10, but every few sessions I try 30mins at $0.10/$0.20 just to see the difference. I'm running at 15BB/100 after 3k hands at 5/10, and my BR can handle a move up in limits (just about), but I don't want to make the jump without becoming acclimatised to the new limit.

Unfortunately for me, I'm finding that the difference is quite substantial. So what tips should I follow for trying the next level up? Should I tighten up my starting hand range?

I'm going to post a few hands in the Hand eval forum, but I think I've found a few leaks already.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
  • 3 replies
    • Dawnfall26
      Dawnfall26
      Black
      Hi!

If you only have 3k hands on 5c/Tc then I would stay there a bit longer. 15BB/100 is totally unrealistic for the bigger picture.

But if u played enough hands and feel confident then you should definatelly move up as soon as possible.I cannot really imagine big diference between these 2 stakes only that there are prolly less complete retards on the upper one.

And you should NEVER tighten up just for the fact its a higher limit.Doing this means you are scarred ,therefore not ready to go up. If anything, moving up means that you have to become a bit looser since tighter style is becoming less and less profitable.Sure this is not meant for microstakes...ABC play works totally fine.
    • terpesheva
      terpesheva
      Bronze
      Hi!

As long as your roll can afford to take a hit you're fine. From my experience, you are quite likely to enter the new limit with a loss because:
      a) You don't have reads/stats on the players.
      b) Games are different.

e.g. on 0.1/0.2 You can easily sit at a table with 8 players out of 10 being complete donkeys; on .25/.5 you are quite lucky to be sharing a table with at most two TAGs.
      On .5/1 at least half of the table knows how to play good poker=)

a) I would tighten my range (meaning I would try not to play too many marginal hands; I don't mean that you should be scared here =) ) ) for a few k hands just to get stats and spot the regular TAGs and the fish.
      b) Work on your leaks. More good players will be able to exploit them!

I can also recommend better table selection. Mark the fish and try to choose the tables they are sitting at with good position on them.

Good luck playing 0.1/0.2!!!
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      I think I'll take DF's advice and kick it a little longer in the slums, as I think I've got a few horrible problems with my basics that I'd prefer to work on at 5/10 rather than 10/20 (see hand eval forums for details).

Also, I know 15BB/100 is unsustainable, but it's nice to have after 3K worth of hands :D

As always, thanks for your help fellas!