Playing HU. Dealing with tilt.

• terpesheva
      terpesheva
      Bronze
      Hi all!
      Got a question about HU FL.

I've decided to give it a shot as I used to play some HU NL Sngs and my roll could handle some 0.5/1 HU FL now.
      One of my problems in SNGs was short-term tilt, however, once you've lost an sng it is quite easy to stop.
      With cash HU I found stopping harder.

So here I am, playing against a really bad fish 53/30/1 who defends about 30%, very passive, straightforward and likes calling down to showdown. I take about 40BB from him when he gives me 4 bad beats in a row. 4 flushes (2 of which were backdoor) vs my 2 pairs & trips. I loose everything I won from him and a few BB more.
      On the one hand I have got steam coming out of my ears because of the bad beats. On the other I have got very good control over him, he is very easy to beat and I would probably need a lot of luck to get another customer as bad as this one.

What's the best way to quickly calm down?
      Should I continue playing if I'm not completely off the rails and can still control my game?
      Would you avoid playing with any signs of tilt or would you only quit when you know you are definitely not playing your best game?

Any advice apart from buying a cute teddy bear and beating it up after each bad beat is welcome :f_cool:

Thanks.
  • 7 replies
    • Dawnfall26
      Dawnfall26
      Black
      Hi!

Dont play HU till at least 2/4 since rake is pretty much a killer on microstakes alongside with the fact that HU needs a whole new area of skills which you probably dont have yet( assuming that you are probably not even used to playing really short SH game...3-4 players). Both these facts combined will not able you to beat even very bad players and when you are not used to very high HU variance its even worse.
    • terpesheva
      terpesheva
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice.
      What sort of varince am I looking at? what would be a typical swing for HU compared to SH?

Thanks.
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      HU play tends to increase your variance and what I've done is show what happens when your SD increases due to HUHU and the swings you experience

Observe:

Standard 6-max player (1BB/100 winner 18BB/100 Standard Deviation)

Predicted Winrates

Predicted Downswings

HUHU Player (1BB/100 23BB/100 Standard Deviation

Uh huh

Nice....downswings sir

In the way 6-max is more brutal than FR, HUHU is a totally different league to 6-max and with the rake you may not even be able to hold on to your current winrate so bigger swings.

Get used to them :s_biggrin:
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      that simply can't be right. 1bb/hh and biggest downswing (im assuming it's within 2*std variations) is 20buyins?
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      forget what i said im retarded
    • terpesheva
      terpesheva
      Bronze
      Thanks for the graphs boom!

What sd am I looking at in SH?

I'm already getting used to swinging SH but it's just very hard to estimate my skill when the roll goes up & down.
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      SD in SHFL is usually between 17 and 20, I'd say closer to the former at low stakes

Poker's a wierd game like that. You're supposed to not be results orientated but it's the only real measuring stick you have. I'd bascially say, you'll know when you're better than those you're playing against :f_cool: