Micro Maniac Curiosities

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      I have been playing 1 cent/ 2 cent on FT for a while now, and every session I end up at 2-3 tables where a maniac is shoving every hand or almost every hand... You know the type.

Now, I'm sure these players don't exist in even the higher micro limits, and to be honest, I never expected to see so many outside of play money games.

My question is how do you play against these people. I'm not looking for advice, I'm just curious how others handle them.

Regular maniacs are one thing. These guys are something else.

Sure, you can try and wait them out until you have a decent hand but then any skill advantage you may have is gone because there is no real play going on.

Also, it changes the game from poker to craps and may make the game boring to play.

You can always leave, but then you may miss out on good opportunities.

Then there is the problem of more than one hunter going after the same prey, you may end up in a multiway pot that has been inflated way beyond what it should have been and you are bascially pot committed no matter what happens against the maniac and another person who is trying to do the same thing you are.

I'm curious how other micro players handle this micro-specific type of maniac.
  • 9 replies
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      1. Maniac shoves
      2. Look at own hole cards
      3. If {
      hole card = TT+,AK;
      shove. }

or else fold

4. ???
      5. profit
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kenthmp
      1. Maniac shoves
      3. If {
      hole card = TT+,AK;
      shove. }or else fold }

4. ???
      5. profit
      You should be calling wider than that, something like:

AJ+ & 99+ (maybe 88).

If you have previously seen junk like 10-3 & 7-2, you can add KQ. an

Also sounds like he's talking more about an an "over aggressive spew tard" than a maniac.
    • Vepof
      Vepof
      Bronze
      I think hes talkinga bout those 0.80 stacked guys.
      They might be doing that with any kind of hand bro, don't give much attention to em.... If they shove p-flop and u don't have a hand to call, just fold and keep playing against the other ones.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kenthmp
      1. Maniac shoves
      3. If {
      hole card = TT+,AK;
      shove. }
      This or leave the table. There's plenty of tables on FTP.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Don't play on NL2 shortstacked tables. :)

But seriously, you can either leave the table or call light with the hands mentioned above.

The bright part is they collect the blinds a few times and when someone calls light they go broke and then often THEY leave the table, which is not bad at all.

The nightmare is when someone calls with KQs and his 94o holds. Twice. Then he has a big stack and can afford a few more flips - so that's when I think it would be great time to move tables if you don't like the kind of "play" (becouse it is a good opportunity to wait/double up if you have the patience).

I don't remember a time when a bit of patience hasn't paid of against this kind of all-in monkeys. I'm glad I moved limits and they are fewer now (but sometimes there still, especially when tilting/steaming).
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Vepof
      I think hes talkinga bout those 0.80 stacked guys.
      They might be doing that with any kind of hand bro, don't give much attention to em.... If they shove p-flop and u don't have a hand to call, just fold and keep playing against the other ones.
      I think he is talking about the sort of player who sits down with 50+bb and then shoves 95+% of hands preflop.
      I have seen these players frequently and the only way to play them is to call with the right hand. For me that is 88+, A10s+, AJos+.
      These players frequently double up with 93os or similar rubbish when they hit 2pair against JJ+. They then continue shoving, and few wll call them then for fear of losing a BI. I will call them with the right hand expecting to win a BI. I will lose a few but overall I have profited from these players.

GL
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      entire depolarised value range is +EV.

you can go as loose as this if hes shoving every hand and isn't quitting anytime soon, just make sure you don't have people to act ahead of you:

ATo+
      KJo+
      QJo+
      88+
      KTs+
      ATs+
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Sure, you can try and wait them out until you have a decent hand but then any skill advantage you may have is gone because there is no real play going on.
      Also, it changes the game from poker to craps and may make the game boring to play.

facepalm.jpg
    • SickAtHome
      SickAtHome
      Bronze
      On Stars when I see them, I don't mind too much if I don't pick up a hand when they're doing that. They get me more VPPs =)
      If you play PLO, its even better because you call a potsize raise, and check to them no matter what you have - easy fold or shove after that.