[NL2-NL10] NL2- J9s- freeplay

• Dback357
      Dback357
      Bronze
      Hello,

in this hand, I play against a guy who seemed to be loose passive. He played nearly 80% of hands.

I thought about raising preflop because of his wide range, but I decided not to because he didn't like to fold to cbets. On the flop I thought he might bet an A and he might raise TT+ (or maybe just JJ-QQ+) preflop so I value bet. On the turn I still thought I have showdown value, but I didn't want to play for a big pot so I bet 3/4 of the pot to keep him from bluffing the river and maybe extract some value from a call happy player's low pocket pairs for example. On the river, I thought his line looked strong and I didn't think he bluffes like this often enough to justify the call so I folded.

Was the bet on the turn and fold on the river OK? What to do if he checks to me on the river? Bet 20 cents and fold to a raise or check behind?

Thank you and best wishes.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $2.00
      BU:
      $2.33
      SB:
      $3.06
      BB (Hero):
      $2.77
      UTG1:
      $2.10
      UTG2:
      $3.28
      MP1:
      $0.77
      MP2:
      $2.24
      MP3:
      $2.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, J.
      7 folds, SB calls $0.01, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.04) A, 9, 6 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.04, SB calls $0.04.

Turn: ($0.12) 6 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.09, SB calls $0.09.

River: ($0.3) 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.21, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.3.
  • 4 replies
    • kevvu
      kevvu
      Bronze
      Hey Dback357,

I like more to raise him on this pre-flop situation, especially, when he played 80% of hands. So it will be a value raise and a lot of times you can just take the pot down with your raise against many opponents.

Turn: If you bet, then pot will be bigger. So if you check then is pot controlling ;) . Actually we want to see him bluffing rivers, if you have read that he bluffs all the time on river, when you check on turn then i would like to even check behind. But in this situation you can still make vale-bet against 9x,pps and straight draws.

River: On river i would still call (without reads), cause there are some busted straight draws and he could bet even with worser value hands than you have.
      But if he checks i think betting will be still too think, unless you have seen him calling down really light.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Dback357,

Preflop: Both plays are actually doable, either you Check it or as well if your style is rather aggressive then you can as well raise it. Usually myself I would raise such completes. We might take down the pot just preflop and would be even happy.

As played
      Flop: Betting here is definitely fine since usually he is willing to give up the pot very often here and we can take it down very often.
      Turn: But somehow I would rather prefer to Check behind here, there aren't that many hands from which we getting value from and if he has some weaker pair he is not going to pay us anyways, likely only get value from some draws. Just Check it behind while we took it as freeplay and we didn't hit that big.

As played if turn was bet
      River: There is no way I am Calling the river, we don't beat much here, easy fold against passive player.

Best regards.
    • kevvu
      kevvu
      Bronze
      Sry, didnt see that it was passive player. Then i like fold more too :P .
    • Dback357
      Dback357
      Bronze
      Hello Kevvu and thanks, yes, now I see that without reads it was a mistake to think he might overbet the small pot on the river if I check behind on turn, and he even seemed like a passive player. I need to play more to learn to think clearly under stress during a hand.....

Still, as played, does it happen often on micros that passive players bet big into the flop and turn aggressor on the river with missed draws or worst 9? If I'm correct, I need to win approximately every third pot if I call.

Thanks.

edit. i didn't read the last post before I posted this......I've already got the answer, thanks.