This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Newbie at poker - furious about some hands

• Janestudent
      Janestudent
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I am really newbie at poker, after studying mainly SSS NL Holdem I tried to start...well first two weeks some downs and ups...but last two days...I am furious about hands some people are playing. (Lost about 8$ during last two days from starting capital)

First case:
      Preflop
      Hero: KK - I raised (about 4x BB) and only one opponent called
      Flop: 2 J 7 all different suites - I bet, opponent called..
      Turn: 5 - I bet , opponent reraised, I went All-in, opponent called
      Hands were: me KK oponnent Q2 offsuite
      Showdown and river: 2
      Opponent win all money with tripple 2.....:-(

I went to kitchen to have a glass of cold finlandia (vodka)....

Second case:
      Preflop
      Hero: AA - I raised (about 6x BB) two opponents called
      Flop: 3 Q 6 again all different suites - I bet, only one opponent called..
      Turn: 9 - I bet , opponent went All-in, I hesitated, but called
      Hands were: me AA opponnent J3 offsuite
      Showdown and river: 3
      Opponent win all money with tripple 3.....:-(
      I went to kitchen to have a two glasses of cold vodka....

Barry Greenstien was wrong.....Ace on the river....blaahh, 2 and 3 on the river....

Your comments are appreciated.....did I do something wrong ?

Jane
  • 6 replies
    • byxl
      byxl
      Bronze
      Today I lost four out of five AA showdowns, through various games, tournaments, FLH cash games and some SNG. It happens, but if you are a newbie and not totally OK with having big swings I seriously suggest u play FLH.
    • Slimijs
      Slimijs
      Global
      Both of these guys are FISH and were semibluffing you, trying to represent a set. Mark them and play more hands with them.

Also download some poker tracking software as it helps you a lot in these kinds of spots. Also you will have hand histories that you can easily copy and paste here in the forums.

Best regards
    • Wampa76
      Wampa76
      Bronze
      Hi Janestudent,

I have the same problem yesterday. I catch from one fish 5 bad beats. I have HM manager and saw his statistic. I played SSS. Another TAG players win with him. But when I played again him he has every time set of three of kind. I played AA, KK, AK. I lose against him 12 dollars. It was very bad day.
    • mancikaa
      mancikaa
      Bronze
      Dont worry about this, on the long term it dont counts, because of two reason:

- your goal is to win the most money with your strong hand against weaker hands. You got your stack in good, they sucked out. You played it good.

- these suckouts will even out on the long term: you will also suck out on others in some cases

one thing, but i dont really know the sss rules: maybe you should get in your stack earlier with these hands
    • DocBrown112
      DocBrown112
      Bronze
      Hi Jane,

I don't really get why you are furious with the hands your opponent were playing - you should be happy!

Most of the time you will win against this type of play and having people call to the river with bottom pair is a godsend to solid players.

Off course it will also mean the occasional bad beat like you had, but basically I would love to get my stack in the middle with KK against Q2o or AA against J3o.

As Slimijs states, you should mark them as "Friends" and play a lot more against them :s_cool:

So forget about being furious - be happy and write it off as pure bad luck, and go play some more solid poker.

Best regards
      DocBrown112
    • terpesheva
      terpesheva
      Bronze
      Read the poker mindset.
      Then, read poker mindset again.