It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's a generic hello thread!

• BillyTheGoat
      BillyTheGoat
      Bronze
      Hi guys!

I did the registration thing, and then I clicked on a button thingy, an suddenly I was here! I looked upon this strange new land I had stumbled upon, and I saw that everyone was saying hello and hi all the time. So NicolaiNebel decides, after a lengthy inner conversation, that he, too, needs to join in on the fun. I also sometimes like to write words.

So this is my hello and hi to everyone here! I'm just now realising that I may have confused the day and month settings in my registration, but hopefully I haven't.

I actually found out about this site through TeamLiquid and the TSL3 currently going on. If you in any way like StarCraft, go check out that site, because they are truly amazing.

I think this is all I really have to say. It is hard to say anything real when all you have on your mind is "HI WORLD I HAVE A COMPUTER WITH INTERNET CONNECTION LOOK AT ME".

Anyways, good luck at the tables and may the tilt be with you or whatever you guys say around here.
  • 4 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi NicolaiNebel & welcome to PokerStrategy, really good to see you join us.

I have an admission to make, I know very little about StarCraft other than I know a lot of our members also play or have played in the past and that PokerStrategy is a big supporter of it.

Anyway, I'm sure you will soon get to know lot's of other members after settling in and I look forward to seeing you active around the forums in due course.

Good luck and enjoy your poker experience.

Best regards,

Bart
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi NicolaiNebel,

Welcome to our community, thank you for joining us!

Really, you could share a little more with us about the StarCraft world, I shall congratulate to Fenrax (Season 21 Champion)

I think this is as far as my knowledge goes :f_eek:

Are you new to the poker world?

Looking forward to hear from you
      Ingrid
    • BillyTheGoat
      BillyTheGoat
      Bronze
      Hi and thanks for the replies!

I am completely new to the poker world, but have been hanging around TeamLiquid.net since a bit before the TSL. I remember seeing a news post about a player whose nick was "Elky". Would this be the old Brood War pro? That man had amazing game sense and it would be awesome if it really is him.

StarCraft really is a lot like poker in terms of reading your opponent through indirect clues, but the variance replaced with mechanical skill and unit combinations. This leads to matches where, like in poker, the pros almost appear psychic, always predicting each other's moves. StarCraft 2 is also a really competitive game, with LANs and tournaments popping up everywhere, with prize pools unheard of in almost any other video game. Of course, it has nothing on the big poker leagues, but then again, money is an integral part of poker.

Right now, I'm having a lot of fun playing poker, checking out the NLHE Sit'n'Go's. I like the fact that the game evolves as time passes, but I'm not sure about the whole Push and Fold thing. I can see why it makes sense, but I don't know if I find it enjoyable to play.

Ont thing I find a bit weird about this forum is the "tilt factor". There seems to be an incredible amount of frustrated rants on the forums, all springing from some bad grinding session. Is this normal, and if so, isn't that a bit tiring to moderate?

Anyways, off to do homework for school!
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi NicolaiNebel,

To answer your question about Elky. He is a PokerStars pro player and indeed the old "Brood war pro" to quote you! =)

It seems to me that you having the right attitude about poker and I am sure you'll succeed.

Regarding "how to push/fold effectively":
      - means you are in-exploitable, (whatever your opponents do you can play close to optimally) when the play gets sophisticated shouldn’t worry/upset/frighten you but it should make you happy that you are playing in a game where you know if you play 10000 times you are going to make a profit.

Each time you pick up the cards, you should try to tell a story to your opponent.

"tilt factor" - I agree there are players who get frustrated but I wouldn't say its the main mood character of the forum, would you?
      No, it's not tiring to moderate. I could speak about this pages long, unfortunately that is not why I am here unless you really have interest in this topic =)

Which poker room are you playing at?

Ingrid