The dancing machine's SnG blog

• tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      Hello visitor, welcome to my blog! :)

just reaching first huge milestone of my recently started poker career, I decided to give myself two presents, one of which being this blog, which I planned on starting ever since I got through lessthanthree's blog, and by that time it was just around 40 pages long :D (73 as of time of writing)

Yeah, took me quite some time, but back then I felt that I should first try walking the path to at least see if it leads anywhere... aaaand, hope it does! :f_biggrin:

Something about me:
      My name is Tomas, 25 years old, live in Bratislava, Slovakia.
      After 5 years of struggling to find balance between studying, having a job and having a decent hobby (or two), I graduated with bachelor's degree in field of Informatics with focus on computer graphics. For now I'm taking a break from school but am hoping to find my way back to fight for higher education. I work as a part-time web site administrator/developer and am hoping that this might change within a year if things go well on the tables :f_cool:
      See, I still live with my parents.. not that I like the idea, but from an economical point of view, this is the best available solution. :f_mad: Mostly thanks to this, my expenses are not so high, so by being able to withdraw say $250-500 a month I could consider quitting my part-time job and spending my time more efficiently. And if things go very well, yes, I wanna move out and start living on my own!! :s_evil:

I mentioned above my hobbies interfering with my studies, and by the title of the blog you might have already guessed what my biggest passion on the world is. If you guessed dancing, you got it right. If not, you can try again later (there's one more hobby to be revealed). It all started almost 10 years ago with a basic course of ballroom dancing on high school, and I fell in love with the idea of having so many girls around and the imminent requirement of physical contact between one another =)
      And I've had my ups and downs, quitting and getting back again, finally turned out to be a decent latin dancer. Among the successes I and my partner belong to the country's top24 and in our debuting year we found our way into the world's top600 (which isn't bad for a debuting couple). Aside of latin dancing I also fell for other genres of dancing including classical ballet (no poof-ballet-dancer though :f_biggrin: ) and modern/contemporary dancing which I also practice for a little over 2 years now.
      You can imagine that this is where I spend most of my money and free time, which resulted in one of my friend calling me the "dancing machine". And because I wanted to put something of myself into the title > "The dancing machine's SnG blog"

I promised there would be another hobby for you to guess.. now's the time... a hint: it has something in common with computer graphics that I studied... it's photography. I'm an enthusiast photographer, but I'm putting this one on idle while I'm at the beginning of my poker learning curve.

Something about me, poker wise:
      During the course of my life there were several crossroads on which me and poker met. From the beginning it was mostly 5-card draw, playing for matches or candies. Nothing serious :s_cool: ..later I got to know the basic rules of texas and omaha holdem. Bu it was during the Christmas 2009 (15 months ago) when thing started taking a more serious direction. We gathered as a family with my brother, sister and their families and found ourselves having 6 notebooks around the dining table and playing poker on facebook together. A bit ridiculous I admit but it was fun :D
      I kept on gambling my play chips - not really knowing what I'm doing, but I was doing it well :f_cool: ..a few weeks later I came across a "poker manual". I only read the first chapter with the basic strategy and started playing SnGs (still on facebook). At that time, I was preparing for the final exams at school, so I didn't want to put that at jeopardy and focused on that, but I felt that if I found "someone" who would give me the starting investment, I could give it a try for real money. And guess what I found in july... I'm sure you got it right this time no matter what! :f_p:
      So yes, I got the $50 starting capital (thank you so much PS :f_love: ) and by the end of july I played my first real money SnG at FullTilt. Things went swingy, once up and down the next day, but overally I was above the line. I still didn't know what exactly was I doing, busting a few regulars like the best donk in the world :f_biggrin: ..even winning a local freeroll ..what is more impoertant I felt this could work.
      By the time I registered, I didn't get the rakeback activated and needed to deposit to activate it. So I decided to go with $100 in november. That's when I switched from playing $1.2s to $2.25s mostly because of the rake. And things went well... and then bad again! :D ..but I still believed it will work! Was slowly clearing my $100 first deposit bonus and slowly losing it on $2.25 to the donks there! :s_biggrin:
      But my heater was just around the corner in february.
      As soon as my bankroll allowed it, I switched to $6.5s and thing went great in the first couple of days. And then not again! ..what a deja vu! Anyway, thing started to get reaaaaaly swingy from then on, being $100 up and down every week. At one point I mixed in some $2.25s again ..and believed.

And in march I figured that just believing won't be enough and finally started analyzing what I was doing wrong and how to do it right. Watched some videos, played around with the ICM trainer and gave it another shot.
      And, for a moment, things went the same... (down).. but now at least I understood why. For quite some time now I was a victim of bad luck. I knew when and what to push/call but the villain either won with a better hand already, or won with a worse hand thanks to the board.. most of the time, and I was getting pissed eventually.
      It went on like this for a better part of march, I already considered switching to another site (even creating an account on PokerStars). And then, the last week, things finally went for better and my green line started to climb back up again.

It was the last sunday when I believed again... believed that my bankroll just crossed the magical barrier of $500 dollars... but nah, it stayed on 499.13! :s_biggrin:
      And today, the magical barrier has been crossed and the first incredible milestone reached.

So like I said before, I promised myself two presents for this one:
      The first one being this blog - hope you'll like it :)
      The other one is new 24" 1920x1200 monitor for better grinding possibilities to replace the latter in my current dual config of 19" LCD 1280x1024 & 17" CRT 1024x768 (and I'm 8 tabling with these :D )
      ...looking forward to my new baby, hope it'll help :)

Thank you for stopping by and reading all the way to this point.
      Certainly did not plan on having such a long intro :D
  • 30 replies
    • tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      The blue line represents an approximation of my bankroll with the PS starting capital, $100 deposit and deposit bonus in 10 steps reduced for the RB value.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    • tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      And an interesting bad beat from today's session:

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 6.5 Tournament, 250/500 Blinds (4 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) (t3090)
      UTG (t6210)
      Button (t1870)
      SB (t2330)

Hero's M: 4.12

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, Q
      1 fold, Button bets t1870 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero calls t1370

Flop: (t3990) A, 5, Q (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t3990) 5 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t3990) 7 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t3990

Results:
      Button had 5, 5 (four of a kind, fives).
      Hero had Q, Q (full house, Queens over fives).
      Outcome: Button won t3990

Finished 2nd anyway :)
    • tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      I know it's one week in April already, but better late than never.

Goals for April:
      • 800 games - my current monthly maximum 462; but 206 in April already
      • bronze iron man - would go for silver, but can't put volume everyday
      • make gold status on PS - 712 pts as of today
      • study study study! - re-read SnG articles, watch as many videos, post more hands
      • enjoy playing on the new toy :) - should arive on Thursday
      • mix-in some 10+1/11+1 - only if BR allows

Up until recently I played turbos exclusively, but I'm currently playing both the regular $5.5s and the turbo $6.5s to see what's going better.
    • tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      don't remember worse weekend than this one :s_cry:
      losing like 3 out of every 4 coin-flips or getting called by better hands.. lost almost 1/5th of BR.. what has happened?

on a brighter note, won 6 entries into the $1 Main Event Satellite this evening.. also taking part in the FTPA $5000 FR and maybe daily dollar rebuy.. wish me luck..

and a funny one: everyone folds to me when having AA in BB twice on the same table within 5 mins :rolleyes:
    • Proky11
      Proky11
      Bronze
      Good luck bro

Playing same limit. Living and born in same city. :s_cool:

Tak len pekne na sebe makaj! :s_biggrin:
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Good luck!
    • tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      Ahoj Proky,

thanks for stopping by, we have actually met on several occasions on the tables, both on 2.25s and 6.50s :)
      I try to avoid you mostly, but still, I felt my luck went a little above average when you were around :D
    • tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      Thanks Tim :)
      Had some laughs over your comments in the coaching yesterday :D

---

Yesterday was very funny and I'm glad it's over. The tourneys I played in the evening.. well... Aces getting cracked on three times out of four, hitting AK and donated to a set of queens, last hand I remember QQ vs KK on SB vs BB. Then I lost it and tilted other tables as well..
      And a funny four-way all in with KK in national FR, the others had like Q4s, JTo and A8s. Was doing fine against them all until the river brought an A :f_biggrin:

Anyway, like I said.. glad it's over, today's a brand new day!
    • Proky11
      Proky11
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tpoke
      we have actually met on several occasions on the tables
      Oh really? Can you write/send me your SN on Full Tilt? Thanks.
    • santostr
      santostr
      Bronze
      Keep grinding, GL.

Get a decent roll before the $12 IMO. Rake in the 6.5 is the lowest. Good place to learn.
    • tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Proky11
      we have actually met on several occasions on the tables
      Oh really? Can you write/send me your SN on Full Tilt? Thanks.
      Not sure I want to! :f_biggrin: just kidding.. PM =)
    • tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      Thanks santostr, that's a good point :f_grin:
    • tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      Hey there, been a week since I last reported, and a very unfortunate one for all of us, I must say :f_frown:

During the week I took my time to study more, and played very little SnGs, focused more on the Take 2 promotion, and that didn't go very well either.. apparently I'm no good at CG :D ..including the pending bonus I'm $10 negative. Partly because of some bad luck like AA all-in pre-flop vs some pocket pair, and the villain made a set. But that happens and mostly it was my bad decisions and little experience.

Aside of that I reviewed the bronze SnG articles and found some weak spots in my play. It's interesting how easy some things can slip your attention when you don't fully realize them when reading for the first time. Turns out I'm too tight for too long in a tournament and, in turn, lose fold equity later in the game. And that combined with some bad luck when I get called resulted in lots of 3rd and 4th places.

Friday was the unpleasant surprise for the poker community all over the world. Decided to play on Friday night as I couldn't withdraw anyway. And went quite well, +$50 over some 27 games. Saturday was much worse. FT changed their software and I couldn't download it before I found out about the http://www.fulltiltpoker.co.uk/ version of their sites. I guess many players are still unaware of this, as the competition is still reduced to about 1/3rd of normal traffic. Stars seem to be doing a lot better in this regard.
      Regulars on FT seem to have found the way, but the fish are missing. The competition is rather tough at the moment. Saw tables with even 5-6 regs at $6.5s. I was table selecting as good as I could, but still it was noticeably much more difficult to play the games. I guess that's what it could look like at higher limits?
      Saturday didn't go very well, about -$20 and Sunday so far could be split into two half-times: first went $50 down and called for a change of tactics: less tables, better focus... and the second one went $50 back up, so I'm b/e for today.
      Don't feel like playing anymore today as it was a bit exhausting. Hopefully the situation will change in the coming days, otherwise I guess I'll need to change platforms as many players do. Not really into that, though..
    • tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      Got $200 bonus to clear... which is way too much for me to clear all, but is a nice added rakeback value at least. Hope it brings things a little closer to what they used to be.

Just played a session and found the $6.5s very hard to beat. Had to mix in some $5.5 regs and $2.25 turbos. Ended the session breakeven, but the sixes gave me a hard time. Also couldn't play my A game on these, the way they go now is anything I'm used to. It wasn't the best time to play, so I'll see how things go in other times. Until then, dropping down to play it safe at 2.25T/5.5R.
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      Just played a session and found the $6.5s very hard to beat.
      ???Why???
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      by ur graph i can understand that you play somewhat a breakeven play.Maybe you must train more in icm or you dont think about players ranges.Imo if you work in both you ll have better results.Good luck
    • tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      Originally posted by belthazorrrr
      Just played a session and found the $6.5s very hard to beat.
      ???Why???
      Nah, it was probably just bad time.. plenty of regs/mts, very little fish. Just played another session and was finally quite alright, played mostly sixes again :)

That graph is my all-time graph, I put a lot more effort into studying the last couple of weeks. But yep, you're right, I'm leaking a lot still. I wouldn't say icm ranges is the biggest problem.. aside of some bad luck, but standard variance.. it's more the opponent's ranges, and, what's even worse, many times I catch myself calling a bet when I pretty much know I'm beaten with the second best hand. Losing a lot on this one :f_frown:
    • tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      21BI below EV, great day!! X(
      moved down..

• tpoke
      tpoke
      Bronze
      Alright, yestarday was probably the craziest day for me so far.. went on a bit of a tilt to its ending, but I may be glad that despite the huge frustration I didn't tilt throughout the day.. altogether 23BI below EV over 80 games.

Reviewed yesterday sessions.. aside of some bad luck which I had a decent share of, I seem to be going into too many marginal pots and quite early. Or on the contrary, don't push wide enough from SB in the late stage and blind out. Need to plug these asap.. will be playing on 2s mostly with perhaps a session of smaller number of tables of 6s with higher focus on my game.