Connection to database NOT successful!

• StayPhrosty
      StayPhrosty
      Bronze
      Okay, so I've tried installing and removing and reinstalling both elephant and postgresql and i still cant get elephant to gather any data. Whenever I start it, it pops up saying "Connection to database NOT successful!...." it then goes on about my settings being incorrect or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (win7 64bit)
  • 5 replies
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      Hey StayPhrosty,

maybe your settings are incorrect? ;-)

Please post the exact error message.

There are 2 possible issues:

-) PostgreSQL service ist not started -> start it manually (control panel -> administrative tools -> services)

-) Your login credentials are not correct (created during the postgreSQL installation).
    • StayPhrosty
      StayPhrosty
      Bronze
      okay, i checked and the service was already running, and the exact error message is "Connection to database NOT successful! Please ensure that PostgreSQL is running and your settings are correct."

im pretty sure it's the settings, but i havent been able to install it correctly it seems. everything didnt quite happen the way it did in the instructional video, so im not sure what to do.
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      At which part do you get the message? In case you entered wrong login credentials you should get a different error message / warning.

Which operating system are you using? Maybe something is blocking the connection to your postgreSQL service?

Please download "pgAdmin" if not already installed and try to connect to your database by opening the program and doubleclicking the database service. (Left hand side column).
    • StayPhrosty
      StayPhrosty
      Bronze
      okay, i get the error message twice (i close it then it opens for a second time) right after i start elephant and it is "initializing". I'm running windows 7 64bit (yes i'm running as admin) and as far as i can tell nothing is blocking the connection. If it uses a specific port i could check to see if that's blocked (i have pf port checker installed), and i dont currently have an antivirus program so that's not a problem. I downloaded pgadmin and i connected to my database just fine (not sure what im looking for there, but everything looked okay). yet still elephant isn't collecting any data :(
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      Alright.. looks like you are talking about a different problem now.

Can you create a new database from within the elephant?

Can you connect to your postgreSQL service from within the elephant via the "test connection" option?