[NL2-NL10] Summary and interesting hands from 01/09/2008 adv. SSS Coaching

• xarry2
      Summary and interesting hands from 01/09/2008 adv. SSS Coaching:

We had many interesting questions in the coaching channel. I think it's a good idea too review the most interesting ones. So we can remember them and I can give a more precise explanation where I had not enough time to do so during the coaching.

Concerning the Slansky-Chart: How much looser than it suggests should you push? As far is I know it assumes that the opponent knows your hand, which is of course not true, so the profitable pushing range should be much bigger.

Its true that Sklansky doesn't provide us with the maximum profitable pushing range. Maybe there are other models/strategies which do so.
      But then our EV depends largely on the specific calling Range of our opponent. And to answer this we have to evaluate every single situation anew. There are so many influences determining the calling range that can't be packed into a chart that easily. So its one pratical reason why we (or better I) don't go further than SC (well, maybe sometimes ;)
      Another reason is the fact that we increase the variance enormously when we decide to play very marginal situations. SC guarantees us profit and we know that the profit can or will be bigger in most situations. but we have to consider the rake, too. So both factors correspond approximately.
      If we decide to go to the limit, we will have to consider the rake in order to still make profit. And since pots are only raked when we get called we have another unkown variable to cope with.

To sum up, I think that SC is a convenient solution which however doesn't give us the maximum profit. But in order to get to the limit we would have to invest much time (to develop such a chart) and we would be forced to make estimations (which can be false).
      That's why I think that the additional (often marginal) value we can get does not warrant the efforts.

Ís it not less profitable then to reload and stay with tighter preflop hand range?

This question was about making rebuys to 20BB or not. I myself don't rebuy. I think on NL 400+ rebuys decrease our winnings.
      First, on higher limits we won't get a payoff as often as on lower limits.
      Most (good) players there can play better against us. With a smaller stack we will be called more often post and preflop.
      Another point is that we decrease our variance. Just imagine that we loose a pot e.g., if we made an unsuccesful cbet. We then have the opportunity to double up again to normal stack without investing own money. Otherwise we invest much more money.
      Most important is imo the playability of a smaller stack though. I can play much looser and easier with a 12-15BB stack than with 20. for example pushing OOP directly with a loose range like suited Aces like A8+ or even looser. These are hands that we would otherwise fold (or complete, but thats not very profitable as a shortstack). Or the SC openpushing range can be looser, too.

There was another question about beeing readable when using SC or normal steals according to our holdings.

Of course a direct push looks weaker than a normal raise. And indeed we will often have marginal hands then. but since SC guarantees profit it is not so grave. our opponent just can't play better then SC assumes.
      what I do is to balance my steals. this means, that I will play strong hands identical to my play with weak sc-pushing hands. of course not always but often enough to let my opponents remember it.
      however, you still have to consider that not all players are making notes and observing the game properly. So against loose (i.e. bad) players we don't need to think so much about "metapoker". And especially against those bad players we like to use SC very often?
      Imo history is not that important for SSS as for BSS. It only matters If we play against the same players again and again. And the we can still make some balancing plays.

The intersting Hands will follow soon.
  • 1 reply
    • xarry2
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      

2/4 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q:heart: , Q:diamond:
      UTG+2 folds, Hero raises to $16.00, 2 folds, CO raises to $68.00 (All-In), 3 folds, Hero calls $52.00.

Flop: ($142.00) 4:spade: , 6:heart: , 6:diamond:
      Turn: ($142.00) 3:spade:
      River: ($142.00) J:club:

Final Pot: $142.00

Pot Odds for a call: 16+68+3/52 = 1.67 : 1
      3 = Blinds minus Rake

this equals 37,4% equity to call profitably.
      Now we have an easy call, since we can give our opponent (who plays SSS) JJ+, AK here.
      What I want to point out here, is that we should take care of our own raising position when we get reraised by another SSSP. Of course only when he plays correct ;)
      So if we raise from UTG we will have AK/JJ as range. Now he should only reraise KK and AA. And then we have an easy fold with QQ.

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)       

1/2 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q:club: , A:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $8.00, MP2 calls $8.00, 5 folds.

Flop: ($19.00) 4:spade: , 7:club: , 7:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $24.50 (All-In), MP2 calls $24.50.

Turn: ($68.00) T:heart:
      River: ($68.00) K:club:

Final Pot: $68.00

i don't like to make a cbet here and fold to a raise, since we would commit us anyway then (considering or overcard and the backdoorflush outs and the fact that our opponent could raise a draw).

how much FE do we need?

EV = 19*FE + 1-FE[19+24.5*Equity - 24.5* 1-Equity]

Overall we will have around 25% equity when we get a call.
      So lets solve for the needed FE.

EV = 0 with FE = 28.3%

Here our opponent should be able to fold many other overcard holdings
      like KJ, KQ, AJ QJ and maybe AQ or even AK (he doesnt seem to be so aggro so he could only call these hands) So we definetely have the FE.
      If he likes to call more our equity increases of course.