Known players:    
      BB:
      $2.34
      Hero:
      $2
      BU:
      $2.52

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K:heart: , K:spade:
      Hero raises to $0.08, 3 folds, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) Q:club: , 6:spade: , 5:diamond: (3 players)
      BB bets $0.25, Hero raises to $0.74, BU folds, BB calls $0.49.

Turn: ($1.73) Q:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.4, Hero calls $0.40.

River: ($2.53) 8:club: (2 players)
      BB raises $1.12 (All-In), Hero calls $0.78 (All-In), BB gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Final Pot: $4.09

I think I played this one a bit stupidly. The price that I was given on the turn was too good to resist though and I was pretty pot committed by the time it came to the river. How should I have played this hand?
  • 3 replies
    • winmaster76
      winmaster76
      Bronze
      I suppose I should have been thinking 'which hands will he bet with?'
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello winmaster76,

Flop: At some pots I might even just go for pot control here and not raise at all since usually those bet pot lines are pretty strong. Therefore I would just Call and reevaluate it on further streets.

As played
      Turn: That's why I don't like raising the flop. Actually while you did raise the flop I usually just fold it here while it looks like a trap. Why should he be donking here if he doesn't have a very strong hand?

As played if turn was called
      River: Now as well 97 completes and I don't really see him shipping with a lot worse, I guess I would still make the crying fold even if I called the turn.

Best regards.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze

[...] I was pretty pot committed by the time it came to the river. [...]
      You should not think such thing as "pot commited" in a cash game.

In a tournament, if you are playing 10k pot and have 500 chips left, blinds being 200/400, that means you probably shouldn't fold (even even so there might be exceptions, as always in poker) because you will not have a decent tournament life with 500 chips anyway. So it's more worth it to fight to the end to win the 11k (put your 500 in the middle), small that chance might be, because if you do win you'll have a majorly enhanced expectation in the tournament.

On the other hand, in cash games, there is no such thing. If you end up with 40BB on the felt, you just rebuy. Those $0.8 you save by not calling the river when you are pretty sure you are beat are $0.8 saved, period. It's $0.8 more in your overall bankroll, not only now on the table. There is no such thing as "pot commitment".

It's quite different playing for chips in a tournament and playing for money in a cash game.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.