Prob bets

• 3 replies
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      I don't know what's the correct describing word for that, but it's just similar to betting with your friends that you can/can't do smth. Like 3 to 1 that you can swim across the lake, and so on. Also they like to bet on the flop color, especially on Poker After Dark, and that makes it a pain to watch that show, when the prop bet that the flop will come all black/red is way larger than the pot itself.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Bliausmas
      I don't know what's the correct describing word for that, but it's just similar to betting with your friends that you can/can't do smth. Like 3 to 1 that you can swim across the lake, and so on. Also they like to bet on the flop color, especially on Poker After Dark, and that makes it a pain to watch that show, when the prop bet that the flop will come all black/red is way larger than the pot itself.

I have to agree with you on that.. they bet like $50k a flop.. then i'm like.. why don't you guys just up the stakes double or triple the blinds if you have that much money to gamble with.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz

I have to agree with you on that.. they bet like $50k a flop.. then i'm like.. why don't you guys just up the stakes double or triple the blinds if you have that much money to gamble with.
      I would think because poker is not actually "gambling" for them (i.e., not "random") and they just want to do some true gambling. Plus the fact that those kinds of prop bets are =EV (flop texture, Jacks of some colour, etc.), provided you don't sleep on them (i.e., realize when your cards/texture/colour do come and claim it).

So it's just a wee gambling, like flipping a coin for 1/1.

But yeah, they are annoying to watch.

There is a quite good article by Negreanu on prop bets on the internet, explaining many different kinds and types of usual bets based on cards/flop/board. Just google it and you'll find it :f_thumbsup:

(of course the "usual" would not involve Ivey not eating meat for an year or the Magician having to do push ups. But that happens as well ;) )