Raise size in MSS. Why is it different from SSS and BSS?

• BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      Hi!
      I was wondering why BSS and SSS advise for a 4x bet while MSS advises for a 3x bet. Personally, I've been using both but I can't tell which one works better.

When I started using MSS I was raising 3x but after seeing everyone going for 4x, including Gerv in his part 1 of the video series, I switched to 4x. Result was that I'm losing less to sets but I've also lost more overall, as part of an ugly downswing so I can't tell works better. Yesterday I watched part 2 of the MSS for beginners and I saw Gerv using 3x raises.

So I was wondering if anybody knows the reason behind the sizeing. Initially I thought of less commitment to the pot but it doesn't make sense since most of the time we enter the pot with a superior hand than our opponent's. Also,is it right to raise more without position and less with position, for example if I'm SB with AK and there are 3 limpers I'll raise 4+3=7BB, but if I'm in CO and there are 2 limpers I'll only raise 5BB?

Thanks for reading! Any comments are welcomed!
  • 13 replies
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Bump!!! :P
    • tryhardnoob
      tryhardnoob
      Bronze
      I would guess thats cause in SSS you want to play a small range of hands and when you play them you want to get all your money in without it looking to unatural. In BSS you want to raise much if you play a tighter range so that you get value for it, though some people play more LAG and raise 3x cause not all of thier hands are raised for value and it would be weird if they sometimes raised 3x and othertimes 4x.

For MSS you want to be able to raise the flop without being to commited to the pot. You should still be able to fold the turn if it doesn't look good. My guess :s_evil:
    • AKM247
      AKM247
      Bronze
      What's 'bump'? ?(
    • tryhardnoob
      tryhardnoob
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AKM247
      What's 'bump'? ?(
      Bring
      Up
      My
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tryhardnoob
      I would guess thats cause in SSS you want to play a small range of hands and when you play them you want to get all your money in without it looking to unatural. In BSS you want to raise much if you play a tighter range so that you get value for it, though some people play more LAG and raise 3x cause not all of thier hands are raised for value and it would be weird if they sometimes raised 3x and othertimes 4x.

For MSS you want to be able to raise the flop without being to commited to the pot. You should still be able to fold the turn if it doesn't look good. My guess :s_evil:
      Thanks, I like the answer. Meanwhile I reversed to 3x raises and it's working better again,probably for the reason you stated.
    • marlonmlk
      marlonmlk
      Bronze
      Well, I noticed that Gerv was raising 4bb OOP, and 3bb IP. Like UTG, MP, SB BB he would raise 4bb.

And CO BU 3bb.

I think that's the reason he does that.

It's an interesting post, because I added this move too.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      What's 'bump'? ?(
      Just a way of keeping a post up the ladder!!! :P
    • danutz123
      danutz123
      Bronze
      What's 'bump'? ?(
      Bring
      Up
      My
      Inventive acronym but it doesn't really apply, otherwise it should be "BUTT" (bring up this thread). It's rather from the expression "to bump [something] up" meaning bring to the fore or farther up in the queue.
    • tryhardnoob
      tryhardnoob
      Bronze
      Originally posted by danutz123
      What's 'bump'? ?(
      Bring
      Up
      My
      Inventive acronym but it doesn't really apply, otherwise it should be "BUTT" (bring up this thread). It's rather from the expression "to bump [something] up" meaning bring to the fore or farther up in the queue.
      i hope ur family dies in cancer. cy@
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      What's 'bump'? ?(
      Bring
      Up
      My
      wow man, I'd ban you for this if I was a mod.. seriously, what is that reply?
    • foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by OZSA
      What's 'bump'? ?(
      Bring
      Up
      My
      wow man, I'd ban you for this if I was a mod.. seriously, what is that reply?

i think he was joking.
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      joking with this ? really?
    • foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze
      yep most definitely joking, however he's dropped to silver so i say we punish him in eternal hell.